• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

bad design aluminum blocks to keep the gears on?

rev9fan1

So while taking my XSC apart to switch everything over to a new chassis I noticed the clutch Bell gear is on an aluminum square block, with 2 set screws.....what a waist of human brain design. I don't know if it was when the car crashed at full speed that it made such a jolt or if its the power of the engine every time u accelerate, but it looks like where the set screws touch the clutch bell shaft on the flat spots, it is starting to wear to The point that it seems it will eventually round off one day and not move. All the other shafts look fine, oh and the soft aluminum blocks....GTFO when I was trying to get the block off I was prying little by little and gouged the aluminum. Anyway me and my brother wondering if they made those in steel, and also if we drilled holes where the set screws go into the shaft and tapped them will it make the shaft weak, or is there another way to prevent from rounding off? Sorry for the long post I just found out about this stuff and was wondering what everyone else is doing with it or even noticed it.

G

I grind small indentations in the flats. The set screw will grip it better. Drilling a hole in the shaft would weaken it. Steel would be bad for the drive squares. Too heavy thus creating more rotating mass.

There will always be ware items that will need replacing at some point.

Deluge

MCD uses steel squares. I wonder if they'd fit the shafts? I know Redcat gears will fit on the MCD squares.

G

I wish titanium was an option. It would be great for so many of the parts.

rampagemt

I would definitely drop some cash on se beefed up drivetrain parts. You are right about alotta parts to the drivetrain

G

Deluge said:
That'd be super expensive to machine, though. Plus, I've never blown diff gears. So, there's no point. For me, at least.
Yes, it would be hard to justify do to the cost. It would cost hundreds of dollars to save a few onces. It would be cool though. A titanium chassis would give the most bang for the buck. It would weigh half of the stocker.

rev9fan1

So should I wait on the 2 speed trans or go belt? As of now don't have money for either one but if let's say the 2 speed comes out in 4 months I'll just run my cat the way it is to save the 280...what do you guys think?

rev9fan1

watch im gonna buy the belt drive and in 1 month they are gonna come out with the 2 speed lol just my luck!

G

rev9fan1 said:
watch im gonna buy the belt drive and in 1 month they are gonna come out with the 2 speed lol just my luck!
That would be a great reason for another vehicle! :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts