• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

7075rc caster and spindle --->bushings?

phreerider

ok , i got the caster and spindle set for XB.

the oversized bearings in spindle , very nice.

the caster setup ...seems alot slop in the assembly with metal/metal contact at rotation point .. one pic of the assembly(http://www.7075rc.com/c-hubs/) has a lipped bushing insert, did not see that in the package.

the caster/spindle contact area ...is there a bushing that also sits underneath the bearing race for engagement on the spindle? otherwise the bearing is pointless.

i know there has to be some more parts, right ?

the pic has something, and mostly concerned about the inner race contact under neath the bearings at spindle contact or the spindle is just sitting on the caster metal and not on the bearing. definitely need some clarification on these.

Last edited by a moderator:

rampage idiot

phreerider said:
ok , i got the caster and spindle set for XB.the oversized bearings in spindle , very nice.

the caster setup ...seems alot slop in the assembly with metal/metal contact at rotation point .. one pic of the assembly(http://www.7075rc.com/c-hubs/) has a lipped bushing insert, did not see that in the package.

the caster/spindle contact area ...is there a bushing that also sits underneath the bearing race for engagement on the spindle? otherwise the bearing is pointless.

i know there has to be some more parts, right ?

the pic has something, and mostly concerned about the inner race contact under neath the bearings at spindle contact or the spindle is just sitting on the caster metal and not on the bearing. definitely need some clarification on these.
Same thing that happened to me! You have to use the bushings that come stock in the plastic on there are 2 on each side one upper and one lower

Ol' fart

That's it. I don't like to waste money on instructions that most people throw over there shoulders. If you fiddle with it you will figure it out.

rampage idiot

Ol said:
That's it. I don't like to waste money on instructions that most people throw over there shoulders. If you fiddle with it you will figure it out.
I use those instruction sheets to wall paper my tree stand! LOL

phreerider

casterbushjust did kwik hardware hack to jump off the stock train...T-nuts trimmed to make SCREW ON bushings with flange. easy quick $2 buck jump! perfectly adjustable to exact length to make ultra tight stress free stack!got pics, sometime today

casterbush1.jpg

casterbush1.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/casterbush1.jpg.005fe0bc445604aaf2dcf89a18318159.jpg

phreerider

casterbushheres the spindle contact surface , thread penetration seems spot on with stop,after still not getting an actual "bearing load" on the spindle with the bushings STOCK or hacked...heres where i see some issues.in the image, the caster is actually being pinched (or loosely included) between the inner bearing race and spindle contact. the bearing race should be in contact with the spindle , just as the bushing is, so to create a solid fixed spindle post for bearing load in rotation, as it is the caster is between the race and spindle.i will remove the caster metal(can be clearly seen looking into bearing seat on the caster) where the bearing race touches as seen by its oil stamp.a bushing will be added to abut the race and spindle so it, just like the stock bushing underneath the race, makes solid contact with the spindle. removing the caster area alone will eliminate the pinch and actually load the bearings , the bush just really makes it a solid post for the spindle.before taking on this change i noticed the action seemed ok when first assembled but drag and screw tension could lock it up. but sense the bushings are TALL enough rotation is by just enough slack to slide, so its action is bushing like not bearing. long term wear would definitely point to race friction in bearing seat or the bushing.if you comparing stock alloy spindle with screw and bushing on ....add the bearing and you see where the caster metal is held.

casterbush2.jpg

casterbush2.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/casterbush2.jpg.8a78caf664d4e9b11213dd8fcb4ba061.jpg

phreerider

heres a shot of the race contact in the bearing seat of the caster

casterbush 4.jpg

casterbush 4.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606cc0bfc_casterbush4.jpg.3b729985fee2c9835a5198accd3ca009.jpg

phreerider

heres the pinch gap

casterbush bearing gap.jpg

casterbush bearing gap.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606cc2228_casterbushbearinggap.jpg.4eb8f4a479f54b6d5a95269b8c09f0af.jpg

phreerider

here's the caster with the hole enlarged with the inner bearing race showing. a bearing is seated in both to see the difference.before and after

caster change.jpg

caster change.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606cc355e_casterchange.jpg.007a1baff7603fad0606ad176441ff28.jpg

phreerider

--> 7075rc caster (modded) with bearing and bushing --> RedCat stock alloy caster with bushing--> 7075rc caster with bearing and bushing

casterbush all 3.jpg

casterbush all 3.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606cc48a7_casterbushall3.jpg.f1aea61cb1b3a06d5f15b3771b0f344d.jpg

phreerider

this shows redcat alloy caster spindle and bushing. for the $ actually quite nice. for the stock set and the redcat alloy set, the bushing orientation is noted in this image. where as 7075rc has it flipped with lip at the screw head. i haven't tried inverting the bushing with the modded 7075 caster but looks to be very close. i had already loctite the redcat alloy set but the hacked bushings will be modded to bush from the spindle contact side.

redcat alloy casterbush.jpg

redcat alloy casterbush.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606cc5ac1_redcatalloycasterbush.jpg.09139027876a62dd0a5ff2e5cc84c561.jpg

phreerider

Wow! Just finished the bushings (look just like stock) and the set up is ultra smooth and ZERO drag ! ZERO play! Removing the caster metal allowing the race the bear load is the divine ticket. Pics to follow ...damn this needs video! One of the sweetest hackz yet... If you thought these where great wait til u see and FEEL the difference ! Just put these big fat caster bearings to work!

phreerider

Thanks, considerable difference. A detailed vid for the mod ...once the race and spindle contact areas where "phreed" and the bushing height tweaked it just put these bad boys on the next level without equal...and that's what I wanted.

phreerider

have not done vid yet, but heres a few finished pics of the bushing.

finished bushing.jpg

finished bushing.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606cc81d6_finishedbushing.jpg.5316d848261742471389602d1edf78b8.jpg

phreerider

heres the bushing and caster/spindle assembly

mounted bush.jpg

mounted bush.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606cc9573_mountedbush.jpg.12a47054449f50e0299a8a4169e59ff8.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts