• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

2 tanks of xt and motor seized

Rs4 tony

Called the hobby shop that told me break in period is one tank. So I did a 2 tank break in like a nitro motor and boom. Seized doing 43 mph :) but I called the hobby shop and they will get back to me cuz they told me 1 tank. Meanwhile I called red cat and they told me it needs 4 hours of idling till break in.

Rs4 tony

Running 25:1 ratio. But I added a drop more oil cuz it's still a fresh new motor. So the ratio was about 28:1

Deluge

28:1 is actually less oil. But if you bumped up the oil content a little, it should've been fine. From there it's just proper tuning.

Ron E

Contributor
motor was either lean or just came apart... sucks but the only thing to do now is upgrade. get rid of the hy and get a cy, make sure she's a lil rich and let her rip. i've raced 2 stroke dirtbikes for 25 years and had several gas 1/5 scales and very rarely have engine failure. many will disagree but mine get about 1 tank (maybe) of nice throttle verying running and then let it rip. also i run at 32:1 with fully synthetic amsoil and 92 octane.

Rs4 tony

Yea they said 4 hours of idle then u can gun it. And i don't know ratios but I put a tab more oil then normal which is perfectly fine. I run my leaf blowers and weed wackers with barely any oil so I don't know why this would shit out on me.....

Deluge

Ron E said:
motor was either lean or just came apart... sucks but the only thing to do now is upgrade. get rid of the hy and get a cy, make sure she's a lil rich and let her rip. i've raced 2 stroke dirtbikes for 25 years and had several gas 1/5 scales and very rarely have engine failure. many will disagree but mine get about 1 tank (maybe) of nice throttle verying running and then let it rip. also i run at 32:1 with fully synthetic amsoil and 92 octane.
I do the same thing, and I've never had an engine blow up.

Rs4 tony

So I had the high speed needle turned less then 80 degrees counter clockwise. That's richining so why would it seize.

Ron E

Contributor
Rs4 tony said:
So I had the high speed needle turned less then 80 degrees counter clockwise. That's richining so why would it seize.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standard carb settings (copied from elsewhere on here)

H needle - 1 1/8 turns out

L needle - 1 1/4 turns out

Last edited by a moderator:

RampageHopUps

First, get a new Local Hobby Store. One that knows the difference between gas motors and Nitro motors.

Second, view the tuning videos on HPIBajaForum

Third, the Zenoah factory carb setting do not work. I will try and get a hold of a new truck and check thed factory settings.

brio

I've noticed that in my experience those settings do not really apply to the HY carb/motor. It seems to like about 1 on the H

1/2 on the L

Somewhere close to that. Not sure how it blew if it was running that rich.

sdmaker

Rs4 tony said:
80 degrees counter clockwise from closed? that would be way to lean.

mine was running a bit rich for break in at 1 1/4 on the high and just over 1 turn on the low. but its cold here. temp and altitude will affect your settings some. plus like snow flakes, no two are alike, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rs4 tony

It's 38 degrees today. I turned it less then 80 degrees counter clockwise from stock carburetor settings. So whatever stock was I turned it counter clockwise. And I ran it 3 days before for a longer time and it was 20 degrees and I had it full throttle way much loner then today

RampageHopUps

Turn in both of your needles and let us know what the Low Speed and High speed were set at?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts