• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

1st day and i got a no start

cordy

No matter what platform your running it costs money.Get the aluminum gear plate and be glad its not a mcd thier aluminum gear plate is $268 thier diff are $200 each. So the money your putting into your xb is a lot less than other platforms. Make yourself a chassis stiffener so you wont be blowing your rear diff.Cost $3 for a aluminum plate.Search the threads you will find how we fixed our chassis flex at our track.The stock pipe is useless, I blew holes in mine.Invest in a good pipe,if you race on a track you need a low to mid range pipe.Remember these are entry level platforms so the manufacture is going to put in the cheapest components to keep the price down.We have hpi bajas,mcd`s,losi`s,nutechs,and redcats they all break at some time when we race.Get wheel adapters so you can run better wheels and tires that will last,mind you thats about $150 for a set.Get a belt drive a vast improvement over the gears.Engine will spool up faster,better take off out of the hole with the stock clutch spring. Less weight and rotating mass.Bottom line don't want to spend money don't race.We build our platforms to win and after we get beat doesn't matter by what platform,we spend more money to go faster. You can only go fast if your wallet can bear it. Now just imagine if you spent $1200 for an hpi baja took it to the track and it broke you would have to replace the parts. Everyone here got the cats becuz of the entry level price, and even with all the upgrades your still ahead of the game. No matter what hobby your into it costs money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deluge

A carb upgrade would increase reliability, but I think it has more to do with their tune. Once they're properly tuned, they'll run without any issues. Bearings are a known weakness in the design and 7075RC has addressed the issue. The link to their site is located on the sponsors list to your left.

As I said before, a 5T can is a decent exhaust. It would be well protected and it's cheap.

As far as the "back plate", I'm going to assume you're talking about the gear plate. If that's what you're referring to, you can use an MT gear plate. The bearings are bigger, and the plastic version is durable, so you don't need to drop coin on the aluminum version. Any of the forum sponsors can set you up with that.

Don't know what to tell you about the tires. Try the warranty, worst they can do is say no.

Keep at it, dude. You'll get it right.

rsgonzales

Thanks I plan to.and I understand about the diff platforms and what not .Im not bashing the cats.I am just looking for info to get these right .an entry level racer would not understand 1000 in upgrades or if you don't have money don't race.You know...

G

I would never recommend that an entry level hobbiest race, especially large scale. If they are experienced at other scales then they should know that the large scales are big bucks. A $500 platform plus $1000 in upgrades or a $1200 platform plus much more in upgrades would be the comparison. The amount of fun is priceless weather you race or bash. Repairing and making them faster and tougher is very rewarding but its not for everyone. I don't own them because they are less expensive only. They are a great platform to work on. It's great fun to be faster then a platform that's 4X more. A person will get out of it only what he/she is willing to put in.

rsgonzales

RCDAD said:
I would never recommend that an entry level hobbiest race, especially large scale. If they are experienced at other scales then they should know that the large scales are big bucks. A $500 platform plus $1000 in upgrades or a $1200 platform plus much more in upgrades would be the comparison. The amount of fun is priceless weather you race or bash. Repairing and making them faster and tougher is very rewarding but its not for everyone. I don't own them because they are less expensive only. They are a great platform to work on. It's great fun to be faster then a platform that's 4X more. A person will get out of it only what he/she is willing to put in.
Thanks rc dad.Yes I understand all that as I own 1/16 to 1/5 cars.the thing about the gassers are there is no pittng,longer quail,longer mains,less tuneing.,fuel is cheaper.no pithelp.lol.I said that already.and we have a dedicated 5th scale track.We just figured we would off a less expensive Platform.I guetss we I say we because our lhs owner was thinking of a way to draw 5th scale racers to our track.he asked his top 3-4 guys and we all agreed so we bought i beleive we have about 8 maybe 9 not sure and sorry about this posting this laptop keyboards jumps around.anyway im might go in a diff direction.pm sent

rcgasser

There is no platform even the 1200.00 baja that is ready bash or race out of the box if they were there would be no need for hop ups that why we have hop ups a company or person has seen a problem in a platform and made a better part for it that's why so many companies exists. The how much to spend is on you and you budget and how you bash as stated before the more you put into it the stronger or faster the platform will be. It will not be the same as the end of the day if you started out with a lower price and upgraded and started out with 1200.00 baja which you will still have to upgrade also to get it basher proof.

G

5th Scale is great. With any platform the guy with the deepest pockets is the fastest. That's assuming he can drive. LOL

I can tell you that a $2000 XB will smoke a $2000 5ive.

It sounds like you have lots of doubt. If you are apprehensive then don't buy one. No need to talk you into it. Buy your favorite. After all, it's your money. Breaking, rebuilding and improving any platform is half the fun.

Deluge

crankestein said:
Ok, I am relatively new to this forum (not even one day), but have read a lot today. I see all this stuff to upgrade that you clearly state other platforms do as well. The funny thing the suggestions are from parts that are stock on other 1/5.Could you break down all the stuff that needs to be done to have the xb bash ready (not race). I hear the servo is junk so an easy 100 dollars, the wheel adapters as the stock tires are crap as well, another 80 or so dollars. The brace plate for the diff mod$$? The Baja shocks on all four (stock of course for HPI). The radio itself is junk as well, plus the stock pipe. And have not accounted for hpi wheels and tires. Npt sure if I mentioned, also the carb needs to be replaced.

So all in all how much are we talking about because from what I am reading its more or less the same at the end of the day. Its the typical Civic who wants to race a Mustang for all I can see. Some people dig doing mods to Civics, but at the end of the day can just buy one ready out the door.

I am not spam, or trying to guide other people to other models, but it does amaze me how many things needs to be done when in other buggies is stock.

In fact I am debating on going ahead and buy one of the xbs, but want to make sure if the investment makes sense after all.

This is not like your last sentence about parts that break on 1200 bajas, more so replacing parts that in other platforms don't need to be.
Not going to bullshit you, dude. You will have to put some money into the Redcat. For that same amount of money, you could get a 5B SS kit from DDM and upgrade it from there. Either way you're going to get a durable kit. So, it depends on what you're into (4WD or 2WD, etc.). I have a Baja and a Rampage, and they're both awesome vehicles.

Deluge

RCDAD said:
5th Scale is great. With any platform the guy with the deepest pockets is the fastest. That's assuming he can drive. LOL I can tell you that a $2000 XB will smoke a $2000 5ive.

It sounds like you have lots of doubt. If you are apprehensive then don't buy one. No need to talk you into it. Buy your favorite. After all, it's your money. Breaking, rebuilding and improving any platform is half the fun.
Unless Adam Drake is driving...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts