• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

1st day and i got a no start

rsgonzales

well i picked up me xb tried the radio it seemed to be glitching so I put my dx3 on (no kill switch yet) then stering servo was extreamly loud so(grinding noise ) so I put an hpi servo I had .The trottle servo didnt sound to hot either got tires and wing mounted went fueled her up she ran for a min then dies no start tried servel times check plug it was wet checked for spark has spark the spark plug was wet so im assuming it has fuel feels good as far and comp.whats the deal on these carbs are they ok/ I checked the needle settings and found the low at 1. and the high at 2 sett them up to specs low 1 1/8 and low 1/14 man I thought the 2 out was the problem but still would not spat should i try my 668 cab/ shold I replace the plug.Help my I also check to make sure fuel lines were correct.they are so anyone help a redcat newbie thats getting frustread...

G

If the plug is wet. She is flooded. Leave the plug out for 30 minutes so the excess fuel can evaporite.

Deluge

Try these needle settings.

H - 1 1/2 turns out.

L - 1 1/4 turns out.

Also, try raising the idle by turning in the idle screw a little.

rsgonzales

Deluge said:
Try these needle settings.H - 1 1/2 turns out.

L - 1 1/4 turns out.

will do.then one min it did run it seemed fine although it did die when I let off of the throttle.so I'll raise the idle replace plug(I have a few new ones) and retry.

Thank You I will Update Later today.

Happy Easter to All.

rsgonzales

Deluge said:
Try these needle settings.H - 1 1/2 turns out.

L - 1 1/4 turns out.

Ok well I tried the setting with no success.I was going to swap out the carb but decide to trash the h-cmr5 plug in favor of nkg 7d? success it started Ive run one tank thru it but my steering servo died.(Low batt)? I charged it but I guess maybe ill charge it again.It should of lasted longer than 20 min ? well then again Ive been trying to start this so Im hoping a charge will do ok.I see its a 2600 mh batt.um can I get by with this batt or should i just spring for a venom or ddm batt? I had to lean it out some as it was very boggy and would not idle.after i shut it down i closed the needle to see were I was at Im at

lsn-1 1/8

hsn 1 a little past 1/4 It slow I figure ill run it rich then maybe lean out the

lsn a few hours.would do you think.also I do have a 668 carb,should i swap it or will this carb be ok.it seems like its doing ok right now .are those plugs junk or did i just foul it with the needle set at 2 turns out from factory?

Trickle007

Contributor
Good chance your servo is shot, these Redcat stock servos are junk do yourself a favor and get a Hitec, Futaba or Savox servo, it is money well spent. As for the battery you can get away with it but you will just be charging the battery more often then you would the higher mah batteries.

rsgonzales

Trickle007 said:
Good chance your servo is shot, these Redcat stock servos are junk do yourself a favor and get a Hitec, Futaba or Savox servo, it is money well spent. As for the battery you can get away with it but you will just be charging the battery more often then you would the higher mah batteries.
Thanks I will install Hi techs servos.The xb has excellent bottom and good mid range any idea of the gearing .what can I do to gain a little more top end?

rsgonzales

Wow Is that it so Im going to swap 2 gears ?ok will do a? and B? um I guess they should be in the manual? ok Ill check.Thanks

Deluge

rsgonzales said:
Ok well I tried the setting with no success.I was going to swap out the carb but decide to trash the h-cmr5 plug in favor of nkg 7d? success it started Ive run one tank thru it but my steering servo died.(Low batt)? I charged it but I guess maybe ill charge it again.It should of lasted longer than 20 min ? well then again Ive been trying to start this so Im hoping a charge will do ok.I see its a 2600 mh batt.um can I get by with this batt or should i just spring for a venom or ddm batt? I had to lean it out some as it was very boggy and would not idle.after i shut it down i closed the needle to see were I was at Im at lsn-1 1/8

hsn 1 a little past 1/4 It slow I figure ill run it rich then maybe lean out the

lsn a few hours.would do you think.also I do have a 668 carb,should i swap it or will this carb be ok.it seems like its doing ok right now .are those plugs junk or did i just foul it with the needle set at 2 turns out from factory?
1 1/8 on the low, and 1 1/4 on the high is fine. Keep an eye on your plug color, though. When the carb is perfectly tuned, the plug will be a brown paper bag color. To get an accurate plug reading, do a high speed run and kill the engine immediately, then pull the plug. If you have a 668, I'd swap it.

You want a receiver battery that's at least 4200mAh.

Plugs are iffy. I've gotten bad ones. It happens.

rsgonzales

Deluge said:
1 1/8 on the low, and 1 1/4 on the high is fine. Keep an eye on your plug color, though. When the carb is perfectly tuned, the plug will be a brown paper bag color. To get an accurate plug reading, do a high speed run and kill the engine immediately, then pull the plug. If you have a 668, I'd swap it.You want a receiver battery that's at least 4200mAh.

Plugs are iffy. I've gotten bad ones. It happens.
Deluge Thank You for your help.So far Im off to a rough start but to be honest I expected some issure.all electronics,and just tighting everything up.Today I ran it one whole tank. Ran good towars the end of the tank and run I made a jum and the lower shock mount to arm popped off those 2 bolts holding the shock mounts are pretty short so I was thinking of drilling either one hole straight thru and install a bolt and nut or drill both straight thru and

install a nut and bolt thru all of them? or is there a better mod.the fuel tank I used a old nitro fuel tank fitting and screwwed it in the cap removed the flapper and ran nitro tubing up then down the roll cage.tank vented fine .

if there anything else I should do before I take her out to the track.we had our exebition race with these xb cancelled sat because 1 I had to work and it was easter weekend and 2 the 3 xb that were there all broke down;( Thats not good.most were dying I was not there but I heard 2 were the fuel cap.one one was streeing and one croke the shock mount the way mine broke today.next week we will have 6 threre.Id like to make sure they finish the race,as Im not about to give up on these .For the price I did figure we might have to do some mods.I just am not sure if Im missing any.I want to reduce the shock wt oil and or install softer springs the rear jumps up big time .I was thinking off using hpi baja springs.even if i have to cut them.what weight oil should I use or should i leave them alone?

rsgonzales

990 carb at gizmo

Im keeping my 668 carb on my cy29 and ordered a 990 carb.cant beat the price.I have a 990 on my gp290 zen 4 bolt.its an awesome carb hope it works well here on this hy 30.cc

Deluge

rsgonzales said:
Deluge Thank You for your help.So far Im off to a rough start but to be honest I expected some issure.all electronics,and just tighting everything up.Today I ran it one whole tank. Ran good towars the end of the tank and run I made a jum and the lower shock mount to arm popped off those 2 bolts holding the shock mounts are pretty short so I was thinking of drilling either one hole straight thru and install a bolt and nut or drill both straight thru and install a nut and bolt thru all of them? or is there a better mod.the fuel tank I used a old nitro fuel tank fitting and screwwed it in the cap removed the flapper and ran nitro tubing up then down the roll cage.tank vented fine .

if there anything else I should do before I take her out to the track.we had our exebition race with these xb cancelled sat because 1 I had to work and it was easter weekend and 2 the 3 xb that were there all broke down;( Thats not good.most were dying I was not there but I heard 2 were the fuel cap.one one was streeing and one croke the shock mount the way mine broke today.next week we will have 6 threre.Id like to make sure they finish the race,as Im not about to give up on these .For the price I did figure we might have to do some mods.I just am not sure if Im missing any.I want to reduce the shock wt oil and or install softer springs the rear jumps up big time .I was thinking off using hpi baja springs.even if i have to cut them.what weight oil should I use or should i leave them alone?
I'd nut and bolt all of the shock mounts. Baja springs will work, you just need to run front springs at all four corners. Have you tried adjusting the preload?

Also, make sure you have enough shock oil in the shocks. Sometimes they don't fill them properly at the factory. I use 40wt shock oil. I'm a basher but my MT seems to handle fine with it.

rsgonzales

Deluge said:
I'd nut and bolt all of the shock mounts. Baja springs will work, you just need to run front springs at all four corners. Have you tried adjusting the preload?Also, make sure you have enough shock oil in the shocks. Sometimes they don't fill them properly at the factory. I use 40wt shock oil. I'm a basher but my MT seems to handle fine with it.
Cool I did that last night and I think thats a problem fixed.I also replaced the front springs with hpi front stock springs and went with 35wt.(Thats what I had) feels a whole lot better.shocks seems good? as for the back I reduced preload and went with 35 also .again seems to help.the 990 carb should bbe here thursday.I sure hope it works with this engine.If not well Ill have a spare.

pipe? can I drill out the stock pipe.I would buy one but the spec rules state you need to run a stock pipe?(The Rules may change as Im sending the Rc Director and Owner off the track the problems and Fixes I have encounterd.

we don't want a super fast super suspension rc car.just want to make sure it finishes 30 min mains as we are looking to sale these to beginers wanting to try 5th scale out.I, not sure I ever posted the rules I'll do that later.so far I think Ive got a durable buggy here.Thank You.will post updates

Deluge

If you have to run a can exhaust, I'd go with the 5T can. It's gutted and a little larger.

rsgonzales

Great I was ng the same thing.I can exhaust.Ill find out.Well yesterday I got 24 min out of the tank.no dying nothing broke. :) Im starting to enjoy this buggy.I know my buddy has been messing with his so I belive were doing 10 min quals and 15 min mains.(Fine With Me) BTW I let her sit 5 min refilled it and drove another 15 min and pulled plug.,Nice brownish color, Now Im wondering if I should leave well enough alone and leave the carb on?It does seem to idle higher at times.Oh clutch spring.This was going to be my last question as swapping the springs/swapping gears made it fast enough.and doing tank mod and shock mount mod all have helped.But I was wondering about the clutch spring? sure seems weak.I mean Im used to a 6000 spring ddm or Hpi.were you have to gas it for it to start moving.also a 8000 red spring.now this buggy idles a little high and seems to want to creap up.if i wanted to change the spring what should it be a 6000 or 8000.again Thanks for all the help.we hope to sale abunch and have a fun time racing these in a spec class.

Im not sure if I posted this.

Thank YOu.

http://www.tsrraceway.com/CLASSES_WE_RACE.html

G

I've never had one engage early. I believe a 6000 hpi would give you the same. The xb is light. Step up to a 7500 or 8000.

Deluge

If the clutch is engaging, try turning the low speed needle 1/16 of a turn counter-clockwise. An 8k spring will give you more punch off the line.

rsgonzales

ok 8000 it is then Im leaving it alone.ran it again 24 min to the tank everything is good.this is not bad for 500.00.although i really wanted a sc truck .i think I will buy one soon.man you all are very nice.Tanks I will post the results of the race nonday..Yea!!!

rsgonzales

First race didnt go well for the redcats

well we had 7 xbs out for our exebition race.A good turn out .I had clocked mine at 21 mina tank but when i got to the track i got about 10 min and it died? wow all week i drove it with no problems .i vented the tank and it still would dy then flood Luckly i had ordered a 990 so at the track I changed it out oh problems solved so first 15 min qual i won.but came in on fumes.3 buggys died out 2 would not restart one locked up? second quail we had 5 3 died 1 back late melted the other fron bearings seized.I won again.LOl yea.

main 10 min main since we had 3 xbs left one front diff locked up around 5 laps and i went on to win but with the front tires dragging like i had the brakes applied the oh my tire fell off. seems all other xb tires were smoth while my stock tires have fake lugs (plastic) that make it hard to tighten the wheels .why did i get differant wheels as the order was put in at the same time.after the main i brought it in and it looks like both front bearings are tosted enought to melt the front wheels on.and the diff is super hard to turn.Hopefully bearing .it being run maybe 5 times does redcat warranty melted back plates and bearings .know bearing i mean tires.It was a very embarrassing showing for the recat debut as we had a few for sale there and well after the race they stayed there.Im not bashing these as I thing they fun to drive but I don't want to spend 300-400 to get it to run .we ran on a dusty track but not wet.I came home pretty dissapointed and bummed out that our little spec race redcat project seems to have failed.were willing to change the spec rules as some xb exhaust pipes just broke.back plates melted front diffs locked up and all had bearing problems.Ive got 600 including the price in this .what can I do to mak it sdependable do i need aluminum back plate and hubs? what about the pipe mine is cracking.I have the carb replaced so it runs.the servos replaced .(I forgot about them) and were can I get these parts for a decent price.I read about putting large bearings.but do i need aluminum hop ups .If I can get some answers.im sure i will as you all have been helpful we are going to give these another shot in 2 weeks but we need resorces.oh my tires will red cat replace the tires.Im afraid to send them my credit card info.i don't want them to charge me .beter yet is there any buggy tires I can buy that don't requies a hub convertion.and last what gearing will give me some top speed swapping gears still seems slow.Um I guess were going to have to change the spec rules.sad thing is we have 3 racers that have them on a payment plan.it just looked bad with all but 2 finishing the race.Not giving up yet but don't want to spend allot of money.Please any suggestions

Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts