• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

zenoh gp290 tough start

Nurchburgler

so, I go to start my new 28.5 zenoah eninge today for the first time.

really tough to pull...break one pull start

i try another pull start and its is still tough as hell.

i took off the cover to the flywheel and found my flywheel stuck so I moved it with a tool and got it loose

put it back together and pulled the cord...fired up and froze again.

I have done this multiple times and it fires and freezes.

any advice?

I have never had a new zenoah engine...just an obr modified...never had this problem,

I am thinking it is new and the compression is causing this.

Inertia Racing Products

1st thing set your coil gap and make sure it is correct and make sure your coil is tight. i know you said the motor fired, but the coil could be loose, or bent flywheel so start with this.

A quick How To , on setting coil gap.

1) pull the spark plug

2) get yourself a regular business card

3) loosen the 2 coil screws , just enough to move it.

4) rotate the flywheel around untill the steel side, not the aluminum side of the flats, comes close to the coil, then insert the business card between the coil and the flywheel and rotate until the coil sucks down onto the flywheel., leave the business card in place. then tighten the coil back down.

then slowly rotate the flywheel 1 or 2 complete times checking to make sure the flywheel is not warped or bent....pull the spark plug to do this , it will make it easier to rotate.

if all of that is good make sure the piston is not smacking the top of the head...

on a 28.5 it shouldn't be a an issue. the 28.5 is a stock length 28mm stroke rod with a 36mm bore cylinder.

if you need any help checking the piston clearence lmk and i will walk you through it

** Side Note **

I just saw your post where you were having issues mounting this motor , needed to do a clutch housing swap, thread....make sure that you got the clutch re-installed correctly as well, double check to make no bolts are backed out or something binding the clutch up ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Nurchburgler

Adjusted the magneto...piston gets stuck at bottom of cylinder?

Have to free by hand...once it's free it will move freely by hand..as soon as I pull the cord the piston gets stuck. Wtf

Obeast44

Banned
Hmm, running through a checklist here. Coil hitting flywheel? Check. Clutch not binding on the clutchbell? Loosen up the engine bolts on the gear plate a little and see if that helps. Also you could pull the motor and just try a bench start and see how it does.

Nurchburgler

Disassembled drive side...I think I found my problem.

I used the zenoah clutch holder on the cy housing..binding

Dammit

I was so happy I got her together today and now she is in pieces again. Ugh

G

At least you figured it out. That definitely beats an internal engine problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.