• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XT wheel issues??

marichards911

Hi, I have a Rampage MT and a Rampage XT and thought i would come on here to see about some issues with my XT and see if anyone has had the same issues and what was done to fix them.

One of my rear tires keeps falling off... First the wheel actually melted around the wheel nut and the axle broke. So i replaced the axle, wheel and the square wheel nut but now my axle just spins the nylock wheel nut off, doesn't matter if there is lock-tite or crazy glue on it it still comes off... I even tried using a wheel nut from a hurrax truck that was a grub screw that locks it against the rim. But still cam undone...

Any Ideas ???? I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks

G

If the wheels are slipping on the hub then it might be time for some new ones. If the wheel nut loosened up and you continued to drive it that way, you most likely wallowed out the inside of the wheel. :( Once this happens the hub no longer can grip the wheel and will just spin inside it.

DemonRC

Well if the axel, square, and nut are spinning clockwise (forward) and slipping on you wheel due to a stripped out square, then the nut will have counter clockwise pressure from the wheel which will just spin it right off. Your gonna have to get a new wheel.

marichards911

RCDAD said:
If the wheels are slipping on the hub then it might be time for some new ones. If the wheel nut loosened up and you continued to drive it that way, you most likely wallowed out the inside of the wheel. :( Once this happens the hub no longer can grip the wheel and will just spin inside it.
I put brand new wheels on it and everything was tight... i got about 1 and a bit laps in and the wheel comes off even with loctite and crazy glue... it seems that the axle is heating up to almost where you cant touch it... none of the other wheels are doing this... even if the axle spins the way to undo it that would mean both wheels on that side should have the same issue not just the one

:confused:

marichards911

DemonRC said:
Well if the axel, square, and nut are spinning clockwise (forward) and slipping on you wheel due to a stripped out square, then the nut will have counter clockwise pressure from the wheel which will just spin it right off. Your gonna have to get a new wheel.
Everything was brand new... axle, square nut, wheel, wheel nut..... i went through two brand new tires with this issue:confused:

G

Have you checked the bearings? Could be bad causing everything to get hot and melting the back of the wheel.

rcgasser

Good suggestion that was my next thought try the bearing and see if that one is bad or since its getting hot enough to where you can not touch it it could have melted the plastic onto the bearing making it not spin and it will generate heat.

DemonRC

7075RC has upgraded hubs with 22mm bearings. I got a prototype a month before release and my bearings are still rock solid. I'm even usung the Ramtech Baja adapters which extend the axle.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcgasser

Yes those bearing are great I have a couple from old fart they are great!!!!!!!!!!!

brio

hey Demon..I saw you posted about VXB bearings in the past as a good upgrade from stock. So, do you recommend upgrading hubs to alum. from 7075rc with larger bearings or just getting VXBs in the stock size with stock hubs?

brio

@marichards911....Did you ever get your wheel issue resolved. Think I'm having the same exact issue. Did u upgrade the bearings and hubs to alum.?

DemonRC

Basically you have two great alternatives.

1) Get 7075RC hubs with the 22mm bearings and call it a day.

2) Switch out the suspension arms and hubs to the MT/TT arms and then run the MT/TT dogbones and axles and call it a day.

G

I have no clue how strong 7075 front knuckles are but I've bent a couple of the aluminum Redcat ones:(

DemonRC

I just switched my XBE over to the MT/TT front lower and upper arms, alloy TT front hubs and knuckles, TT rear hubs, and all the TT axles with Baja hubs. I wasn't about to run my XBE for the first time and destroy the stock foams in 5 minutes, nor did I want to mess with pulling the 7075RC hubs off of my XB. I'm keeping this setup and not looking back for several reasons. I put up a thread on it with some pictures.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts