• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

xt pull start slipping?

snowsucks

Hi, I just purchased a used XT on Ebay. The pull start will not engage the flywheel. The paws look good, and it is extending out,when you pull the rope. I have also put another pullstart from a Zenoha that mates up.. Both do the same thing..It will spin flywheel for 4-5 pulls, then clicks and starts slipping?

New to 1/5 scale, and any ideas would be much appreciated...

rampagemt

Re: xt pull start slipping?

Do you have another engine to try pullstarters on. It could be possible your flywheel is worn down where the pawl engages. Happens more with the metal pawl. Check that out

snowsucks

No i don't have another. Any other way to tell short of buying a new one?

And thanks for the reply

G

Was the XT used?

The pull starters are universal, so the Zen pull starters will be the same.

Check to see that the flywheel cover is tight.

G

I also tend to over look the obvious. LOL I will have something completely tore down before I realize I didn't need to. :D

snowsucks

Tried a zen also. Had a different 1/5 cpl years back. Replaced that one with a chrome one from DDM. It was working fine when removed. I am changing fly wheel case as well, because had to fish kill button out of it. There is a screw in upper right corner of case missing? Could that be doing it???

G

snowsucks said:
Tried a zen also. Had a different 1/5 cpl years back. Replaced that one with a chrome one from DDM. It was working fine when removed. I am changing fly wheel case as well, because had to fish kill button out of it. There is a screw in upper right corner of case missing? Could that be doing it???
The small Philips screws only hold the shroud on. The larger hex bolts that thread into the motor case is what holds the flywheel cover in place.

snowsucks

Ok i will check it over again tonight when i get home from work. I will upload a pic if I don't get ut figured out. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know. As a side note how many hex bolts hold flywheel cover in? That may be the issue? I got 2 on bottom, 1 on side, and 2 more coming up through bottom from underside of chasis. Or am i looking at the wrong thing entirely?

G

There are 4. That hold the cover to the case. There are an additional 2 screws that hold the cover to the chassis. Then the two screws that hold the shroud to the flywheel cover. A total of 8.

snowsucks

Ok Hopefully this picture uploaded. This is what I got on the inside. It appears like something is missing.I can see two threaded holes? Looking through the pull start cover,I can see it skims right over the top of the flywheel? Am I missing something?

photo (1).jpg

photo (1).jpg

/monthly_2013_03/583c606746657_photo(1).jpg.e9ddfa46de40e15529acb409a37802dd.jpg

G

It really doesn't look that worn to me. It looks like the pull starter prawl isn't seating far enough into the flywheel.

snowsucks

i agree but why? Am I missing something..2 pull starts and both due the same thing..think I will ask for a refund

snowsucks

After a closer look,it appears as if the Case? that the flywheel shroud(which holds pull start) attaches to,is broken? If I'm right,and its part of the case, and is broken,I'm screwed right? :mad: Or is this replaceable?...I need to figure this out soon, If I need to file a complaint with ebay..thanks again for any help!

photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

/monthly_2013_03/583c606748fdf_photo(1).jpg.e0140c97cff0332caa30dc95b49d8c97.jpg

/monthly_2013_03/583c60674aab8_photo(2).jpg.a67f6d5f618d0ef381a2e8f393ff7136.jpg

/monthly_2013_03/583c60674c52e_photo(3).jpg.0a38013ec971174ec04dbd128283b2c7.jpg

Restomod

Kinda hard to see but it sure looks like the engine case is indeed broken. You can replace it but looks like you need to contact the seller/ebay to see where you stand.

G

That will do it. Defiantly contact your seller. You need an engine case.

snowsucks

Thanks for confirming. I contacted seller the next morning, telling him there was a problem. And I would most likely be wanting a refund..That was Fri morning, he has not responded.To be safe I just got finished filing a complaint with ebay.

I surehope i don't get stuck for 350.00..the guy had to have known..slipped from first pull!..Just in case whats another motor gonna cost me?

G

You can find a pullout for around $100. It just goes up from there if you want a new or a higher hp version.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts