• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XSC no spark

mk2mike

Contributor
Hello all! I recently purchased a used Redcat XSC with a no start situation.

previous owner gave up on it. I dug into it, found it was getting fuel and spark.

But no compression, found the pistion and ring had damage. Intake manifold, "isolator" was warped as well.

All said and done I put a new cylinder head, pistion, ring on it. But now the engine has very weak spark. I installed the coil with a business card for an air gap. Thought maybe I damaged the coil and ordered a new Redcat Coil. Installed it today and found still having the same issue, very very weak spark.

granted I am testing it by turning motor over by a drill with all covers removed (as in picture)

would having the covers off cause an issue (poor grounding?)

I'm really confused. Almost thinking the Redcat Coils are junk and may go with a Losi one? Or are they the same (price difference of $7 vs $40)

photo2-3.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

BertR

The covers make no diff on the grounding.. Have you replaced the plug yet? Some members have had issues with the stock plug and some have had good luck. You need to get if you haven't yet a NGK cmr7h or cmr6h plug ..make sure the head bolts are tight! A loose head will cause starting issues.You don't need much spark to fire up these engines ....tight head and a good plug with a stock settings on the carb and it should fire up.

mk2mike

Contributor
I did try a few different plugs. NGK in both 7 and 6 series heat range. For some reason I think its a head issue as I had a nice strong spark with the old head.

mk2mike

Contributor
Nevermind got it figured out... Nothing wrong at all. Just found out I wasn't cranking it fast enough for my "big spark" I wanted. Thing fired right up.

mk2mike

Contributor
SYNPRODUCTIONZ said:
Where did you get the new cylinder head from? Im looking for a cheap replacement head.Thanks,
I was being cheap, so picked up a cylinder head kit from Rovan

Rovan Top End kit

Did the job, runs good now

SYNPRODUCTIONZ

Just recieved the cylinder head from Daves Motors today and its too small compared to the stock one (38mm). If someone can provide a link to one that will fit would be greatly appreciated. Trying to find a cheap 2 bolt 38mm cylinder.

Man this sucks, barely got to break in the engine and the car has been sitting now cuz of this.

Thanks

SYNPRODUCTIONZ

I have sent the engine into redcat as the car is barely a month old and Im trying to get it covered under wardanty. I could have sworn it said 30-36 on the head but when I measured it, the clearance of the diameter was between 37-38mm and I couldnt get the ddm cylinder over the piston for the life of me. I hear that the stock 32cc engine is 37mm. I have been in touch with DDM support and they don't have one to replace for a 32cc engine and suggested I buy the replacement on the redcat site. Its 90 bucks... Im trying to find a cheap alternative.

mk2mike

Contributor
Stock motor should be 30.5cc, you were compressing the piston ring in it's correct location i'm assuming while attempting cylinder head installation?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts