• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XBe?

fastlane

Team Driver
What motor and esc? Who makes it? My biggest question to the testers is what kind of temps did it run on 6s for a full set of packs?

DemonRC

I don't know about the motor but the ESC is a Hobbywing 150a. Being such a low 1150 KV rated motor 6s should be very safe. I would worry more about blowing the batteries up than burning the ESC or motor. Now replacing the batteries with some higher end 40c 5000mah lipos in 6s configuration is a different story. Since the batteries can discharge at a much higher rate you would need to keep an eye on the ESC and motor the first few times you run it.

Speaking of lipos. I've pulled apart various lipos from Maxamps all the way to TEnergy's and started googling and alibaba searching some of the stampings on the individual cells. I have found the Chinese manufucturers of the cells that two major companies use for their packs. You wouldn't believe how cheap is can be to make ur own packs if you order the cells by themselves.

fastlane

Team Driver
I have ran the turnigy lipos in my 2200kv Slash 4x4 and they have been great. I used them in my Mammoth st as well. I was thinking about useing 2 6s 4000mah 30c lipos parallel so It would be 6s 60c @ 8000mah. I just want to be sure before I pull the trigger. I know castle makes a beast now but it is pricey also.

Obeast44

Banned
I have plans on running the new Turnigy nano-tech 6s 6000mah 40c continuous packs from Hobbycity. Those should be able to handle anything I could ever think of throwing at them. I'm hoping I can stuff enough of them in it to run for 35 minutes straight.

Obeast44

Banned
I'm hoping so, but I will have to see first. Judging by my math 12k mah should get me close to my target runtime. Keep in mind this is all based off of Ali's videos and the stock batteries. In his videos he appears to run for about 6 minutes on the stock 3s 3600mah batteries. If it draws an average of 600mah/min the two 6s 6000mah will get me about 20 minutes of runtime. If it draws more, I will have to either get higher capacity packs, or find a way to stuff another 6s 6000mah in it. Good thing I someone that can any kind of battery trays imaginable. :D

The ESC/motor should be fine with a sustained 35min run, if not it will be addressed with a gear change or in the shape of added cooling.

hamster huey

The xbe is a large scale w/a 1/8 system. I don't see why a mamba monster esc wouldnt work. In 1/8 scales when geared properly w/a 1512 and 1518 are in the 100-170 amp burst range. Im thinking eagle tree it up (or graph it w/ the new XL) and find the perfect motor/esc/battery combo.

Be careful reading those nanotech specs. Some of the C ratings are burst not continuous and they are short burst. Also they are heavier than other lipos w/40+ c ratings. There are quite a few other high c rated lipos that can charge at 2c as well.

Also when shopping watch out for 2p packs. They are wired batteries of the same mah in parallel to boost the C ratings a little and they are heavy too.

Check out bigsquid lipo shootout on 2s and 4s. Im sold on Genace now. I mostly had tenergy before but now Im all Genace 40c cells, whether its 2s,3s,4s,5s,6s. I still like tenergy but my genaces hold a higher voltage longer and can sustain higher loads longer verified by me.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2/

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-battery-shootout-3-4s-edition/

Last edited by a moderator:

Obeast44

Banned
The Bigsquid lipo shootout was a frikkin joke. I will leave it at this, if your gonna do a shootout use the same batteries. If the guys at RCmonster approve of those Nanotechs, thats good enough for me.

fastlane

Team Driver
The xbe is a large scale w/a 1/8 system. I don't see why a mamba monster esc wouldnt work. In 1/8 scales when geared properly w/a 1512 and 1518 are in the 100-170 amp burst range. Im thinking eagle tree it up (or graph it w/ the new XL) and find the perfect motor/esc/battery combo.

This is what worries me. I think it will over heat. Unless it is about 19lbs. Nothing beats Castle Creations ESCs. I think the xl would be great in the XBe but cost more than I'd want to spend. I think I will sit back and see if these buggies will hold up before I buy. I have sent Ali a few messages about heat issue but no response. I think the Rampage is one of the best rcs on the market as far as the vehicle it self goes it is just the components that worry me. Oh and lipos from Hobby King are just as good as some of the most expensive out there. I have been running brushless for over a year now and tried quite a few batteries.

hamster huey

OB why did you think the shootout was a joke? Because they had different C ratings and capacities? Thats what I noticed that didnt keep things completly even but they do tell you the different battery specs first before testing so anyone who knows about batts takes that into consideration. Yeah we know higher C ratings and higher capacity boost performance on even a low drain system, its still food for thought and an indicator of battery quality and a test of the manufacturers specs.

All I can say is the shootout turned me on to those batteries which I tested and they retain the voltage under load longer than any regualr turnigy (not the nanos) Ive ever used. I still like turnigy as well. I would like to try the Nanos as they look like good batteries. Im not a believer in anything until I confirm it myself though. I can graph my batteries runs in the vehicle too which helps confirm my thoughts later when I am thinking "this battery has more punch and hasnt went flat yet when my regular ones would have by now."

Obeast44

Banned
Thats precisely why HH. The test was flawed and skewed from the start. They might as well have thrown some NiMH in there too. There is too much of a difference between capacity and C ratings to get a valid test without getting the exact same labeled packs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.