• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Woe is me - engine problems already

Loud72

Well I took my D3 V3 4x4 out for its first dirt run after breaking her in on 3 tanks on an asphalt parking lot. Long story short, my gears melted down due to not venting the gear case and a lovely parting gift was my motor not starting and now I have a scraping sound when slowly pulling the starter cord and seem to have lost compression. My buddy and I are going to open the engine up tonight and check it out. We suspect the crank bearing is shot or worse..... I've only had the DR since last Monday June 7th and this was my 4th tank of gas.

Any advice on if we should try fixing the engine or is there any kind of warranty period on it? Should I call Redcat if we confirm something internally failed?

Thanks for the advice ahead of time,

Regards,

Loud72

Last edited by a moderator:

lightning73

Are you sure the problem is in your engine? Check your pullstart before getting too involved. The flywheel acts as a vacuum pulling dirt and debris into the pullstart and engine casing, which will clog up the pullstart if your not using some sort of cover. When this happens the pullstart will not work properly, and will just pull freely without engaging the flywheel making it seem like theres an engine issue. Check it first to see if that is the problem. If not and it turns out the engine is the issue then yes it does come with a limited warranty, check thru the paperwork that came with your DR it should be in there. Hope the info helps out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loud72

I have an outerwears cover on the pullstart. I'm running an HPI Baja stock filter with an Outerwears pre-filter over that and using filter oil and petroleum jelly. I'm fairly confident it wasn't anything getting into the motor. It may have been running too lean on the high jet and had a quick heat build-up although it didn't seize.. dunno.. I'll post what we find on tear down tonight...

Loud72

max 1

my motor in the dunerunner did that sounded terable,glad u goter fixed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts