• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

where to get better shocks

zack24

i would like to get better bounce on big jumps so i need better shocks ,,,,post websites for shocks

alfred e numan

swap valve bodies?

yea, i am new to this 1/5 too- i gotta wonder though, will the valve bodies from HPI 5B SS fit into XB buggy shocks?- DDM had a bunch of stuff on sale- 4 spring loaded ball bearing blow off valve bodies- there was another interesting aftermarket design- a convex rubber body backed with a convex washer- gobs of bleed area- The hpi oem and after market stuff is the 350 chevy of the r-c world- massive amounts of hop-ups - any experts out there with fresh ideas to adapt to the redcats???? even "rube goldburg " ideas are welcome on this topic!!

DemonRC

The best shocks I've used so far are the MCD shocks on the V4. They are big bore compared to the HPI/Redcat/FG shocks. I've retrofitted them to my FG 4x4 by putting FG shock ends on the shaft and they ran fine. I've put them back onto the MCD and haven't tried it on the XB or XBE since I'm somewhat fond if the X series shocks. I will try it once I get some custom shocktowers built to clear the larger adjustment ring on the MCD shocks.

Personally, I'd just stick to the stock shocks. They are smooth and hold a seal very well. You're not going to get anything better by upgrading to Baja shocks other than the ability to stick aftermarket shafts on them or shock tops. It's not a good bang for the buck in my opinion. You could always pick up 4x MT/TT V3 fronts for much cheaper which are compatible with HPI shock parts if you really want.

alfred e numan

thanks-

thanks for the input- yea i am happy with the stock xb dampers too- 4 o-ring with losi green slime - lucas- associated silicone, no seepage so far- floating bushing is a good idea too- damm good bang fer the buck!!!

LightForce

DemonRC said:
The best shocks I've used so far are the MCD shocks on the V4. They are big bore compared to the HPI/Redcat/FG shocks. I've retrofitted them to my FG 4x4 by putting FG shock ends on the shaft and they ran fine. I've put them back onto the MCD and haven't tried it on the XB or XBE since I'm somewhat fond if the X series shocks. I will try it once I get some custom shocktowers built to clear the larger adjustment ring on the MCD shocks. Personally, I'd just stick to the stock shocks. They are smooth and hold a seal very well. You're not going to get anything better by upgrading to Baja shocks other than the ability to stick aftermarket shafts on them or shock tops. It's not a good bang for the buck in my opinion. You could always pick up 4x MT/TT V3 fronts for much cheaper which are compatible with HPI shock parts if you really want.
Same suggestion as yours DemonRC. MCD shocks are good on RR V4 smooth ride besides 5mm shafts which can break on you , HPI are good but they leak with stock seals - umbrella style seals are better , stick to stock just change silicon oil in them and what I did in rear to reduce bounce i drilled all holes to slightly bigger diameter and fill it with 60W silicon. A bit better then stock for me. Nutech shocks if you want an upgrade but I never tried them just other forum info.

Deluge

I use Baja bottom caps with DarkSoul shock shafts. I used some Associated Green Slime on the O-rings and have never had an issue with leaks.

DemonRC

LightForce said:
Nutech shocks if you want an upgrade but I never tried them just other forum info.
Every Nutech owner I've seen hasn't said one bad thing about them. They are worth checking out if you wanna go big bore.

Also, I was going to get a few big bore shock sets prototyped a while back and hand them out for testing but there wasn't enough interest. I may do it sometime after I get the 2 speed out the door.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts