• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Truck Takes Big Nose Dives After Jumps

sirmonte

I took my XB to the local track again and had major problems with it nose diving after every jump. OctanE posted a comment from my last run http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=11844 about the rear shocks and preload. Can anyone help me out in this matter with more info so I can get it right? I would like to go racing soon but with the way it takes a drive I would be spending more time on my lid then racing.

G

Make sure you are accelerating when you come to a jump. That will help keep the nose up. If you are slowing it will nose dive every time.

sirmonte

I had many jump while accelerating and even at full throttle and still would dive and crash. I did find out that my front shock tower is bent. I'm not sure if it was before or after the many crashes. I am running 40wt oil in the stock shocks. I am thinking about upgrading them. What shocks should I replace them with?

strodedawg

set your shock rebound to full in the front and 1/4 in the rear. too much rebound in the rear shocks will push the rear end up and cause nose diving. by setting up full front, the nose will be pushed up and less in the rear will keep the rear end low

OctanE

strodedawg said:
set your shock rebound to full in the front and 1/4 in the rear. too much rebound in the rear shocks will push the rear end up and cause nose diving. by setting up full front, the nose will be pushed up and less in the rear will keep the rear end low
^^This^^

Another thing that can cause nose dive is being to soft in the rear, where the rear of the chassis will slap the jump as it is leaving causing a nose dive situation, try to adjust from what strodedawg suggested until it jumps more level

alfred e numan

travmess said:
Replace with nutech tb2 shocks
I have these shocks. fiddle farted for weeks with set up.- heres the deal with tb2 shocks-- the pistons have a loose fitment in the shock bore. What works great for me? Forget the shock oil. Buy losi silicone diff fluid. I suggest 2,500 weight for your truck. I use 2,000 weight on the car. works great. thing is, you must take the time to force the air outta the o-ring pack. put the 2,500 wt about 2/3 the way up the body, be careful to not suck air tru the piston- pump the heck outta then- let them set- repeat- agan and agan- yea, its a pain in the -- but its worth it!!!

alfred e numan

On the MT in hot weather, useing the stock-factory 4 hole pistons, 3,000 or higher is not a bad idea- good luck- damm shure works for me!! yea, it sounds radical- theres just too much shock piston blow by due to sloppy quality control on the TB2 shocks. give it a try- you will be impressed as i was.

travmess

There is alot of slop in the pistons but it can be worked around i run them on my xsc melted two of the 4 holes shut on each piston and run nutech soft springs all the way arou d with associated 42.5wt in the front and 60wt in rear. The guy at my local shop is working on fixin the blow by issue with the pistons

sirmonte

Thanks for all the advice on this matter. Here is some pics of what my shock tower looks like after the last run. It just does not look right to me.

Notice how the shock is hitting the tower.

Is it supposed to be curved like that? Still looking around for new shocks. There are a lot of great shocks to choose from. Does the HPI Baja's fit? I'm thinking of placing an order with 7075 for those new shock towers they make. Also what kind of shock boots should I use? I almost ordered the deal of the day from DDM a few days ago when they had some for real cheap. Just was not sure if they fit the XB because they were for the HPI Baja.

G

Nope. They're bent bad. Time for some upgraded shock towers!

travmess

Ive heard of some people making baja shocks work but i couldnt get them to fit and have much travel at all. As far as shock covers i use rc-skin covers they r cut to fit and come in many colors.

Motakitty

I got the 7075rc towers they are almost three times thicker and really nice more options on shock mounting

G

Motakitty said:
I got the 7075rc towers they are almost three times thicker and really nice more options on shock mounting
Those are nice!

Mike6000

Mine ended up bent... Then I discovered what that little parts package was for( glad redcat didn't let u know this), anyway I installed mine after straightening the towers and with a little trim of the body I think their a good idea. Nevertheless I turned around and bought aluminum upgrades, also using the added supports, much happier now. Ps. Shocks on this are good, perhaps refill with different fluid if u want more.

Motakitty

Took me a while to figure out what those parts were for too, I figured it out on my own but have yet to use em but I think I'm gonna try to even though I have the 7075 towers. What parts did you order?

sirmonte

Motakitty said:
Took me a while to figure out what those parts were for too, I figured it out on my own but have yet to use em but I think I'm gonna try to even though I have the 7075 towers. What parts did you order?
Lol. That's what those parts were for. I have not ordered anything just yet. Still looking at shocks. Hopefully tonight I will know which ones I am going to buy. I would like to order the shocks, boots and towers all at the same time :) .

sanos

Mike6000 said:
Mine ended up bent... Then I discovered what that little parts package was for( glad redcat didn't let u know this), anyway I installed mine after straightening the towers and with a little trim of the body I think their a good idea. Nevertheless I turned around and bought aluminum upgrades, also using the added supports, much happier now. Ps. Shocks on this are good, perhaps refill with different fluid if u want more.
Are you talking about these front brace holder? ...see pic. IMAG1769.jpg

IMAG1769.jpg

/monthly_2013_06/IMAG1769.jpg.95e0be63322bf1174e237899a9de4dda.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts