• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

time for new parts??

alfred e numan

I will break gear plates every so often. The 9,000 + rpm spring is rough on the drive train, but it shure is fun to drive!!

G

Agreed. I have the 9500 spring in the XB and in the 5ive. They take off like a bat-outa-hell. :D

alfred e numan

yup, it puts these smaller sized engines just about on the pipe before take off. its rained for days here- off and on, the track around the football field was perfect!! most schools would have booted me off in a new york second-- thing is, they only go to school 4 days a week here, all the trans ports here are short busses- i do have quite a few short bus jokes!! lol!!

alfred e numan

all the clutch springs i have tried soom to weaken as they heat up. on a cold motor the temper seems to go back to specs. soo- when the replacement parts arrive, i will pull the shoes off - put them on the drill press and lighten them up some- i use zen shoes, they should be able to handle a few lightening holes. always trying something new!! thats the fun of it all---

G

Look forward to how it works. I've thought about drilling out the shoes, just never tried.

GrnGoblin

RCDAD said:
Agreed. I have the 9500 spring in the XB and in the 5ive. They take off like a bat-outa-hell. :D
Where do you get 9,500 springs?

Dreggsta

lightening the shoes will affect the weight which would change the rpm engagement of the spring correct. less weight would mean higher rpm's for engagement correct?

Tehlugz

F= M x A

Dreggsta said:
lightening the shoes will affect the weight which would change the rpm engagement of the spring correct. less weight would mean higher rpm's for engagement correct?
less shoe weight = less mass acting against spring tension, yes.

our good old buddy F= M x A

it's the same as adding a heavier spring, it'll engage at a higher rpm.

G

Some extra holes would increase the surface area and might help disparate the heat better. ;)

Dreggsta

That does make sense Brian but it'd also reduce the gripping surface area. Can't have everything lol.

Dreggsta

Hey Alfred, if u do drill u might wanna get a scale so when u drill u can make sure each shoe weighs the same. You don't want imbalanced rotational weight on the crank.

Dreggsta

I was just thinking some more & if you drilled from the back & don't drill all the way through then you can create a sort of heat sink which increase surface area & also keep the gripping surface area. How deep would be a personal choice.

G

Dreggsta said:
That does make sense Brian but it'd also reduce the gripping surface area. Can't have everything lol.
:eek: You don't want to drill through the pads. Add the holes to the area of the shoe where the mounting bolt goes through.

G

You can see all the extra holes in this clutch set.

Motakitty

Thats what my clutch looks like, mmmmm swiss cheese:D

Dreggsta

so now the 8k spring is a 9k then? crazy man. seems the mod would be to just drill out your stock shoes & keep your stock spring as that would essentially be an 8k (or round about) set up.

G

You might not be able to lighten it enough to turn a 6k clutch into a 8k.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts