• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Suggested Upgrades/Parts

Speedy059

I'm pretty new to this RC stuff, haven't done it since I was 14 years old and got the first T-Maxx. 10+ years later, my wife buys me this Redcat Rampage so I'm trying to figure out what I should get for it.

1) What extra parts should I get that seem to break most often on these huge trucks?

2) What are some good after market parts to get for these trucks? Seems to be really sluggish (only first tank, breakin). I hope it increases!

Also, if you can provide links to buy the accessories, that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

rcgasser

Which one do you have??? Yes the performance will increase after break in and you tune the engine. A good pipe is a great upgraded for faster speed 8,000 clutch bell will improve performance a kill switch to prevent a runaway and the servos are a hit and miss sometimes they may work a long time or they may go out on you quickly!!!!!!!

Speedy059

Any tuning guides to go off of after 4-5 tanks of gas? I just hope the sluggishness goes away. I don't think this thing could stir up dirt on the loses gravel around right now...

Any link to get that 8,000 clutch bell?

rcgasser

I see in the other post you have a MT you will need a good pipe to make that sluggish go away!!!!!!!!!!!!! to help turn those huge tires.

ImminentFailure

Full break in, plus a great pipe will help a lot. You'll be able to lean out your tune a bit after the full break in. Are you going for speed? I love the jetpro on the XT series, but on the MT's I see more side doms for the extra low torque available on dave discount motors (DDM) which allows you to gear up a hair as well. The pipe will be the best investment you make into your 1/5 scale long term.

Seriously consider going to a baja 24mm hex (other threads on this for the MT already you can search for). This will allow you to run many more tire options, and afaik actually lighten up the rotation mass. Those stock tires are retarded fat.

Deluge

Speedy059 said:
Any tuning guides to go off of after 4-5 tanks of gas? I just hope the sluggishness goes away. I don't think this thing could stir up dirt on the loses gravel around right now...Any link to get that 8,000 clutch bell?
4-5 tanks? I'm tuning for performance after the first tank, if that.

Here's a guide.

My Carb and ME. How your Carb works and Tuning Guide.

Speedy059

I think i'll get that clutch as well. Probably get 2 of them since it seems like they'll burn out engaging at such high RPM's.

I'm a bit taken back on the quality of this truck, the stock version. The guy at the hobby store told me to be careful not to gun the throttle as it could flip over by taking off so fast. The only way this thing will do any flipping over is if I kick it over. This truck can't even go uphill from a stand still. It bogs down when I first take off, then plains out. I'm thinking the low-end needle on the carb is a little to high, perhaps?

waqr

Speedy059 said:
I think i'll get that clutch as well. Probably get 2 of them since it seems like they'll burn out engaging at such high RPM's.I'm a bit taken back on the quality of this truck, the stock version. The guy at the hobby store told me to be careful not to gun the throttle as it could flip over by taking off so fast. The only way this thing will do any flipping over is if I kick it over. This truck can't even go uphill from a stand still. It bogs down when I first take off, then plains out. I'm thinking the low-end needle on the carb is a little to high, perhaps?
Get the DDM 9500 RPM spring, switch to a Walbro WT 990 carb and get the Dominator pipe. This will give you way more power then you have today. Another cheap thing to do is to do your own porting. These cheaper gas engines (like Fuelie HY etc......) tends to have rather narrow transfer ports so open up the cylinder and take a look. If neccessary widen these ports (just a smidge), then widen the exhaust port and the intake port by a few mm aswell. I would also cut small "eyebrows" towards the inlet. This will make alot of difference in the reponse from your engine. There are many great websites out there that describes in great detail how to do your own porting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy059

waqr said:
Get the DDM 9500 RPM spring, switch to a Walbro WT 990 carb and get the Dominator pipe. This will give you way more power then you have today. Another cheap thing to do is to do your own porting. These cheaper gas engines (like Fuelie HY etc......) tends to have rather narrow transfer ports so open up the cylinder and take a look. If neccessary widen these ports (just a smidge), then widen the exhaust port and the intake port by a few mm aswell. I would also cut small "eyebrows" towards the inlet. This will make alot of difference in the reponse from your engine. There are many great websites out there that describes in great detail how to do your own porting.
Your joking right? Your telling me they sell these things as a standard suck machine? You have to spend the hours implementing after market parts? I was hoping to buy extra parts just give it small boosts of performance that I already have...when I had time to do it.

I work quite a bit and have little time to do all this at once in hopes to get this truck moving....I think I'll take it out and make a video of me shooting it with an AR-15 while I have my 4 year old drive it. lol

MAN this piece definitely isn't worth $700...haha

alfred e numan

i would buy the engine----

say, before you shoot the truck, if you remove the complete engine assembly i would like to buy it from you- it costs 400 dollars - thats what redcat told me- i will pay shipping and give you 150 ---usps money order.

waqr

Speedy059 said:
Your joking right? Your telling me they sell these things as a standard suck machine? You have to spend the hours implementing after market parts? I was hoping to buy extra parts just give it small boosts of performance that I already have...when I had time to do it. I work quite a bit and have little time to do all this at once in hopes to get this truck moving....I think I'll take it out and make a video of me shooting it with an AR-15 while I have my 4 year old drive it. lol

MAN this piece definitely isn't worth $700...haha
All cars requires some aftermarket parts to be durable. I don`t even want to think about how much money I have invested in my HPI Baja :)

The modifications I suggested is not neccessary but by just adding a decent carb and pipe will give you a huge increase in power............

Speedy059

I think I'll try tuning it today when I get a minute. I think the low-end mixture is a bit to much. If I can get it to at least get up a hill, i'll be happy. How much this thing sucks right now, I can't justify spending another $200 for hopeful improvements. Just seems silly to polish up a lump of crap in hopes to get a diamond. lol

Speedy059

Tuning it definitely helped. Although it's still lacking, I think now may be a good time for a clutch improvement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts