• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

sloppy bearing fit in alloy upgrade parts

mooman007uk

Banned
Anyone having problems with sloppy bearings. I bought the alloy gearplate and the bearings were a little loose but not so much that a bit of thread lock couldn't snug them up...however the centre diff mounts I got (blue ones) are way loose...way too much to use loctite, over .3mm for sure and I don't want to use bearing fit cos if they're not quite centred I'll have some alignment issues...I contacted Rob at Van hobbies but he doesn't have any others to check right now, need to know if it's just my parts that are loose or the whole batch

jaysyourhandyman

mooman007uk said:
Anyone having problems with sloppy bearings. I bought the alloy gearplate and the bearings were a little loose but not so much that a bit of thread lock couldn't snug them up...however the centre diff mounts I got (blue ones) are way loose...way too much to use loctite, over .3mm for sure and I don't want to use bearing fit cos if they're not quite centred I'll have some alignment issues...I contacted Rob at Van hobbies but he doesn't have any others to check right now, need to know if it's just my parts that are loose or the whole batch
i had the same prob, with all alloy parts so far

rob sent some replacements but they were the same

but this was steering parts, bearings and where the pins go through lower A arm also where the shims go in:confused:

so now when my tires spin my hole wheel hub shutters causing undo damage to diff and drive, so i went back to plastic, bummer to toss all that money away:(

Clubin

Banned
Would it work to mix up some quick set JB and set the bearing into it? I agree it is a real shame to toss parts that aren't up to spec.

mooman007uk

Banned
I was thinking of bodging it with bearing fix it's similar to jb but looking again there's about .75 mm slop, Rob's gonna check the next batch that come in...I'll just run with the plastic for now...gotta go and find some 10mm ID shims now, bearing place down the road should have some

QC must have been on holiday:(

hellya

RampageHopUps said:
Bearing fit on an anodized part is a pain to get perfect. The plater probably opened up the holes.
So if you leave it anodized the bearings fit:confused:We would always make sure it fits in the stock form.....then anodize or powder coat.... then sandpaper to perfection or fill the void before anodizing 576.jpg

/monthly_2008_12/576.jpg.68372c1f0d522b9d399a563a79d3988e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mooman007uk

Banned
the gear plate is good a slip fit but not sloppy but turn it upside down and the bearings drop out...loctite worked good, however the centre diff is .75mm out, sloppy as a pu... er, cat that's been poked with too many sticks in one evening;), that's enough for chrome plating let alone anodising...

I heard a well sourced rumour that nutech is making redcat's alloy parts, maybe they're trying to hurt the competition with sloppy parts:eek:

Bryan 70546

When I got my gear plate i stripped the anno and hit it with molyresin its a gun finnish that you have to bake on but its tough as nails .I installed fast Eddies bearings and had no loose bearing anywhere.

RampageHopUps

mooman007uk said:
the gear plate is good a slip fit but not sloppy but turn it upside down and the bearings drop out...loctite worked good, however the centre diff is .75mm out, sloppy as a pu... er, cat that's been poked with too many sticks in one evening;), that's enough for chrome plating let alone anodising...
I heard a well sourced rumour that nutech is making redcat's alloy parts, maybe they're trying to hurt the competition with sloppy parts:eek:
Find a new source for rumours. Redcat has their own milling machines.

For the bearing fit, I talked with Redcat today and they will look into it.

Clubin

Banned
You know one thing that X-Ray does is whenever they put a bearing into aluminum, they sleve the bearing with plastic just in case the bearing ever seized it wouldn't ruin the aluminum. How would it work to heatshrink the outer race then put the bearing into the aluminum? If my centre gear supports are lkoose that is what I am going to do.

mooman007uk

Banned
Already sent them back, I'm not sure if the orange ones are the same, Rob's going to check when they come in. I got some blue servo mounts too and one piece wasn't drilled and tapped to mount the steering servo, the orange one I got as a replacement is fine but a different design.

Clubin

Banned
mooman007uk said:
Already sent them back, I'm not sure if the orange ones are the same, Rob's going to check when they come in. I got some blue servo mounts too and one piece wasn't drilled and tapped to mount the steering servo, the orange one I got as a replacement is fine but a different design.
You don't have a 3mm tap? I'd have made it work.

mooman007uk

Banned
yeah i do but rob sent me the orange ones, they'll work with a rhino digi4 which is all i need ...i don't really care about the colour..as long as it's not fag pink:p I'll get the oven cleaner out next time i take bits off

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts