• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Silencers

Heavy Chevy

Hey guys,

I don't know anything about silencers but I was thinking about getting some. I have two MTs, one with the redcat polished pipe and with with a jetpro. What is the cheapest silencer that I can get? Are they universal? Will they suck away performance? Can I make a homemade one that will work just as well?

macs

I paid $32 for mine from jetpro. It definaley made it sound better and rev smoother. I am still waiting on a servo so I can't say much about power decrease. They are basically the same thing as boat silencers without the bracket but they cost about the same. Making one would be easy. Get about a 3/4" pipe and put a 3/8" piece of pipe on the inside. Drill a bunch of holes in the center pipe. Pack muffler packing or steel wool in-between the two pipes. Then cap both end with an inlet and out let. Then you are done but at $32 I would rather buy one. Remember all a silencer is a muffler.

macs

I surprised y'all were able to piece that description together. When I send messages from my phone I never read them to see if they make sense. Too much of a hassle. If anyone wants pics I can text them.

ipsagel

macs said:
I paid $32 for mine from jetpro. It definaley made it sound better and rev smoother. I am still waiting on a servo so I can't say much about power decrease. They are basically the same thing as boat silencers without the bracket but they cost about the same. Making one would be easy. Get about a 3/4" pipe and put a 3/8" piece of pipe on the inside. Drill a bunch of holes in the center pipe. Pack muffler packing or steel wool in-between the two pipes. Then cap both end with an inlet and out let. Then you are done but at $32 I would rather buy one. Remember all a silencer is a muffler.
You can get a cheap silencer at Ace Hardware for about $4.00, but it doesn't look fancy as the jetpro silencer. Dimentions are 1.5" OD, and 4.6" total lenght. I use this silencer to double up whith my jetpro silencer when I want to fire up my MT at home in my garrage. That way I can minimize more the noise that's coming out from my MT.

Heavy Chevy

If and I mean "IF" I try to make one I'll start a thread on it for all of us to follow.

Heavy Chevy

ipsagel said:
You can get a cheap silencer at Ace Hardware for about $4.00, but it doesn't look fancy as the jetpro silencer. Dimentions are 1.5" OD, and 4.6" total lenght. I use this silencer to double up whith my jetpro silencer when I want to fire up my MT at home in my garrage. That way I can minimize more the noise that's coming out from my MT.
Newb question: How does it attach to the pipe?

ipsagel

Silencer

You can also buy a heater hose at Ace Hardware around 5/8" inside dia. cut it into your desired lenghth, depending on what pipe you are using. That hose will serve as your coupler between the pipe and the silencer. Mine I'm using the CPI pipe and put a jetpro silencer on it. As I said before I'm just using this silencer to double up with my existing silencer when I like to fire up my MT in my garrage. As you can see in the attatched picture, whenever I want I can take off that blue selicon exhaust tip from the jetpro silencer then attatch that ACE silencer with the heater hose on it into the tip of the existing silencer. That way I can minimize more the noise that's coming from my MT. I hope this will help you figure out on how you can attatch the silencer to your pipe. ( That thing behind the bumper is the ACE silencer with the black heater hose attatched on it. )

Heavy Chevy

Ok, I got some pieces of pipe, I'll try to take some pics. I'm a little busy with work and school work right now but I'm hoping to try to make a silencer.

To be continued.........

RampageMJT

Heavy Chevy

^^Looks good. I broke my stock tuned pipe this week too!

I'm gathering stuff to make a silencer........

RampageMJT

i'm real happy with the way it sounds now, I can drive it without people complaining. Good luck with the silencer build!

Heavy Chevy

RampageMJT said:
i'm real happy with the way it sounds now, I can drive it without people complaining. Good luck with the silencer build!
Thanks. :)

What would you get with a stock out of the box pipe with a homemade silencer the size of a pop can? Any performance difference?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts