• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Shock Body, Shaft, Retainer, and End Guide

DemonRC

Picture References:

Bodies

B1) Rampage long rear body which is the same as the HPI front

B2) Rampage short front body.

Shafts

S1) Rampage stock 4mm shaft (no end)

S2) Phatdad 4.8mm shaft (Rampage end)

S3) Phatdad end

S4) HPI SS 6mm shaft (Phatdad 6mm's look the same except the HPI ends are permentally molded on the shaft while the Phatdads can be unscrewed)

S5) HPI SS 6mm with busted end.

Retainters

R1) HPI spring retainer

R2) Rampage spring retainer

Picture Notes: Yes I know the SS insert is upside down. I just slapped it together for a picture and didn't notice it untill now. Anyways, take a look at S5. While 6mm shafts are indestructable, the ends have no meat on them and break. This was overdoing it. It's the same thing that happened with the upgrades diffs. Redcat enlarged the pin where it wouldn't break but the diff cup shaft had no meat on it and breaks. Same thing behind the SS shaft problem.

We have 3 viable options to upgrading from the stock shafts:

1) HPI SS Front Shock Swap Just buy a complete HPI front shock set and install them in the rear of the Rampage. Then you take the Rampage rear shocks, insert SS shafts with the VVC inserts into the Rampage rear shocks, and install those in the front. Downside is that the short shock ends cause the retainers to hit the arms plus the ends break easy. Upside is that you get HPI VVC parts and the shafts are very cheap to replace. Total cost of $140 Maintainance cost of $16.50 for a set of shafts w/ ends. Better get a spare set of shafts just in case.

2) DarkSoul Racing Front Shock Shafts w/ Aluminum Rod Ends for HPI Baja 5B This is just like #1 except that you are using Dark Soul 6mm shafts with aluminum ends instead of the stock HPI 6mm shafts. The cost is higher, however, you get a more durable shock since the shock ends are aluminum and can be replaced. Cost is $114 for 2x DS shaft sets, $33 for the VVC inserts, and $25 for a pair of Baja front shock bodies = $172.

3) PhatDad-RC Replacement Shock Shaft Kit for HPI Baja These are Baja front shock kits and will fit directly into the Rampage rear shock body. You will need another set of Rampage rear bodies or a set of Baja front bodies for the front as they are too long for the short Rampage front bodies. Total cost for me was $165 ($140 for both Phatdad kits and $25 for a set of Baja front shock bodies)

An extra $25 was worth it for me cause I just got my car and didn't want downtime from busted shocks. Phatslacker was already on vacation at this time I guess :D . Upside to this install is that the 4.8mm shafts are plenty stong while still maintaining enough meat around the end. They also perform better because the shafts take up less volume when fully compressed. You can also use the Rampage ends on these shafts so your spring retainers don't hit your arms (see pic #2). Downside is that it costs $25 more because you need the bodies from a Baja.

Feel free to add to this as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piranha2

Contributor
WOW, now that's the info we needed. Thank you for this post. But not for showing me the 6mm breakage of which I just ordered for $150 :eek:

Piranha2

Contributor
Oh well, just some more spares for when I break the 6mm SS HD's :rolleyes:

DemonRC

RampageHopUps said:
The BajaRampage shocks will be running on Monday. We should see them soon.
With these coming in stock we need to see those stock ends sold seperately :) What's gonna happen when somebody busts an end? We're gonna have to buy the short Phatdad ends which will cause the retainer to hit the arm which tweaks the retainer at an odd angle which makes the spring bend which causes the spring to bind on the body.

Piranha2 said:
Oh well, just some more spares for when I break the 6mm SS HD's :rolleyes:
The SS ends are really weird. You'll cartwheeled the crap outta them so many times and they won't break. Then one day you'll looked at em the wrong way and SNAP. I'm not saying they are fragile. They do take alot of abuse. What I'm saying is that, for me, when they did break that I wasn't even abusing them. I probably stressed them too far from a previous run.

Revisions:

I had some booboo's in the guide. I've already revised it. For example in the SS shock swap section I said "short Phatdad ends". I meant "short SS end". They are the same size and look the same. I also said that for the Bajampage shock kit section. The Bajampage kits are meant to use the stock Rampage ends which keep the retainer off the arms.

DemonRC

Could somebody that has the Bajampage shocks verify that they are running the 4.8mm also? I didn't want to put this in the guide cause I wasn't absolutely positive on this. They do use the stock Rampage ends so I'm guessing they are 4.8's and not the 6mm's.

AlvaSpeed

So what about the Rampage Piggy back aluminum shocks?

mooman007uk

Banned
catchaser said:
Could somebody that has the Bajampage shocks verify that they are running the 4.8mm also? I didn't want to put this in the guide cause I wasn't absolutely positive on this. They do use the stock Rampage ends so I'm guessing they are 4.8's and not the 6mm's.
they are 4.8mm and as yet I've found them unbreakable, i did snap an end on over extension during a barrel roll so made up some limiting straps and have had no probs since

DemonRC

Just an update on the Phatdad 4.8mm kit for the Baja. After months of running them, I have broken 4 front A-arms, 2 steering knuckles, cracked 3diff cases front nose dives, broken about 5 shock ends, and have still yet to bend or break these.

DemonRC

Updated to include the new Dark Soul shaft set. Also, I removed the Phatdad Bajampage shaft sets since they never came along.

I would also like to note that I've finally broke a shock after 7 months cartwheels, nosedives, and assplants. It wasn't what you think though. I tore the piston off the shock end and damaged the shock cap. The Phatdad shaft and shaft end are still in perect working order. Total cost is $16.50 for a set of 2 Phatdad replacement caps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts