• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

runaway, cought on cam..(funny stuff)

Piranha2

Contributor
kryptonite said:
ya i was just lazy and hadnt put my pico in yet. since i added the kill switch i don't run a failsafe.
Welllllll.......I just installed my Pico killswitch and IT works, but the failsafe didn't...........I did a small battery of tests......

1)start rig-hit 3rd channel-Pico shuts off truck-PASS 1st test

2)start rig-give a little throttle-shut off receiver-servo stays in same position-does NOT return to idle-Pico does NOT shut off rig-FAIL 2nd test

3)start rig-give a little throttle-shut off transmitter-servo goes WOT-I tackle truck-pick it up as it's shooting rocks and grass-finally get to the rig's killswitch and turn rig off-FAIL 3rd test

So, a Pico is nice but it isn't everything! Worse thing is I switched the 25/35 to 35/25 so those tires were spinning at 1807rpm's (43mph) Overall NOT a pleasant experience. The day this hobby becomes unsafe to me is the day it goes in the trash!!!!! I am going to research and figure out what went wrong......I have a handset failsafe and the stock redcat failsafe.......BOTH of which worked BEFORE the Pico install.

Last edited by a moderator:

pipeous

I have a picco in both rc's and they work as planned... it's a simple switch. when it has power, it is open. when it doesn't it's closed. maybe your picco is faulty like Basil

mooman007uk

Banned

what handset you using?

don't use an in line failsafe use the one in your handset.

You can get the pico to kill the engine when the failsafe comes on by setting ch 3 on the handset failsafe to shut off....I personally don't like this as if you go manage to go out of range the engine dies...long trek to recover your rig.

With handset failsafe if I lose tx batt or signal my rig goes to idle and applies the brakes, if the rx batt runs low (4.something volts...I can set the voltage on the react) same...failsafe kicks in.

if my rx batt pack somehow gets disconnected or switch off rx pico automatically switches off and kills engine.

if th linkage gets jammed or for any other reason to kill motor remotely, I hit ch4

Every perceivable event is covered by either the failsafe or pico.

I tried using the in line failsafe and it did what yours did....just use the one in the handset and you'll be good to go

Piranha2

Contributor
Thanks guys, yeah I am using a Futaba 3PM 2.4GHz/603 rcvr, I am going to get the Redcat failsafe out......with the 3PM you have to set the failsafe each and every time you turn on the transmitter (when in PPM mode) I believe I would have to change to digital servos if it were to be set in HRS mode. I just was under the impression the Pico did it all?

Piranha2

Contributor
Well, it seems I bought the Pico killswitch that is normally open which it turn means it leaves the engine running (at whatever throttle position it was in) when either the transmitter or receiver loses power. F@&K!!! So for now I can kill the engine with the 3rd channel and my handset failsafe is set to brake when the transmitter is turned off. BUT it still leaves 2 very dangerous conditions present. Loss of range and receiver failure.

chucked

I don't know of any failsafe that will switch on when battery voltage is suddenly completely lost.

Piranha2

Contributor
You have 2 options on Pico's......normally open or normally closed.....I have a normally open so that when I switch my 3rd channel it shorts thusly killing the engine.......with a normally closed when you switch the 3rd channel it opens allowing you to start/run the engine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts