• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Reverve Transmission motor Idea

ika

next project is reverse transmission.

ika

RampageHopUps said:
Nice work. I wonder if the same motor can be used for reverse.
No, its attached to flywheel by belt.

But you gave me nice idea. :)

Little motor is enough to move reverse.

RampageHopUps

BOOOOOOO!!! No one way bearing. How about something similar to an automobile Starter? Engage it when you want reverse, and dis-engage when forward.

ika

RampageHopUps said:
BOOOOOOO!!! No one way bearing. How about something similar to an automobile Starter? Engage it when you want reverse, and dis-engage when forward.
Good idea, but where to get mini bendix...

Ice_2k

RampageHopUps said:
How would you engage it, another servo?

What's wrong with the one way bearing approach? I was looking into doing this mod myself.

RampageHopUps

I would use a 3rd or 4th channel to start the motor forward, then the gear would engage the center diff. When power is removed, the motor would retract by a spring. Exactly like a car starter.

Having one way bearings run all the time would be a nightmare.

Ice_2k

That sounds ideal but I'm not sure how easy that would be to do, at least without some serious fabrication skills. I'm guessing something like that doesn't exist.

P.S. Don't all 2-speed transmissions have one-way bearings that run all the time?

RampageHopUps

Yeah, and they always fail at some point. I think a brushless motor could stay engaged and free run with no power.

ika

RampageHopUps said:
Yeah, and they always fail at some point. I think a brushless motor could stay engaged and free run with no power.
I think so also.

ika

We need low KV brushless motor, ESC , pulleys and belt.

And right place to install drive.

Ice_2k

RampageHopUps said:
I think a brushless motor could stay engaged and free run with no power.
Well, that changes everything, engaging the engine only when needed was the hardest part. Is there an advantage to using a belt as opposed to just using metal gears?

RampageHopUps

Yes, I agree for the home made versions, the pulleys are easier. For a machine shop version, the gear would certainly be cheaper. If it rains this weekend, I will fool around with some ideas.

Dongskie

I got a BOOOO like Mayweather did :D

Yeah a bendix would be great.

HPI made a reversing gearbox with a sliding gear and a 3rd servo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts