• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Replacement engine?

CyberVet65

Contributor
If the engine in this truck is thrashed. What is a good strong reliable replacement. I have been told that this engine is a 26cc HY unit. So I am not looking for an 8hp engine. Looking for something that I can get parts for. Looking for an explanation of the difference between a HY engine and a CY engine. I learned that one is Chinese made and the other is made in Taiwan? The CY is a better unit because of quality issues. I can by a HY 30.5cc on the net for $135.00.

And Zenoah? Why Zen over the CY? Easier to rebuild? Hop-up? Is the Zen a 'hardier" engine?

Remember a replacement engine under $400 if possible. Preferably 30.5cc.

Thanks

Phill

If you mean the Zenoah yes it will fit

You just have to use your old front cover as the Zenoah holes are slightly different.The cover will just bolt straight on to either motor

Just tick 990 when you order

CyberVet65

Contributor
I am getting information that indicates that Zenoah engines were the first units. Then as the market got bigger the Chinese entered with an engine that is now designated as an "HY". Then, because the quality was not there a company introduced an engine made in Taiwan with better parts. It was designated as the "CY" engine.

So as I understand it, the CY and HY are Asian clones of the U.S. made Zenoah?

If that is true, are the parts interchangeable? Could you take a HY engine and put a Zenoah top end together? Or take a HY engine and modify it into a CY type engine?

Does the Zenoah mean it is the top of the line as far as build, reliability and parts? Why are the CY engines comparable in price to the Zenoahs?

Phill

CyberVet65 said:
I am getting information that indicates that Zenoah engines were the first units. Then as the market got bigger the Chinese entered with an engine that is now designated as an "HY". Then, because the quality was not there a company introduced an engine made in Taiwan with better parts. It was designated as the "CY" engine. So as I understand it, the CY and HY are Asian clones of the U.S. made Zenoah?

If that is true, are the parts interchangeable? Could you take a HY engine and put a Zenoah top end together? Or take a HY engine and modify it into a CY type engine?

Does the Zenoah mean it is the top of the line as far as build, reliability and parts? Why are the CY engines comparable in price to the Zenoahs?
I don't know the answer to any of the above

All I know is my HY was a POS from the day I got it

Then again I've heard others that have had no problems

Michaels12

Ludabud said:
What would be a good motor for the MT with the big tires? Time to upgrade. I stripped a bolt in the cylinder for the pipe.
Why not just helicoil that stripped hole?

Ildy666

For the price and service gizmo motors has great motors i have a zen full mod and love it.thinkin about a rcmk full mod also.best bang for the buck IMO....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts