• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage MT gear train questions

G-Man

I'm not getting what you mean about the brake shaft.
I have about 1mm play on all my shafts so they don't bind.
I had more than 1mm end play on the brake shaft pinion so I put a shim between the pinion and bearing to suck it up some. I was afraid if I didn't take care of the end play it would throw the belt. The mesh there seems better too. I ran it today. Good outcome. Has more top end and bogs a little low end pull out. I will adjust the carb a hair to try to help that.

Phill

I had more than 1mm end play on the brake shaft pinion so I put a shim between the pinion and bearing to suck it up some. I was afraid if I didn't take care of the end play it would throw the belt. The mesh there seems better too. I ran it today. Good outcome. Has more top end and bogs a little low end pull out. I will adjust the carb a hair to try to help that.
Sounds good

G-Man

Can you post a pic?
Here I shimmed the pinion bearing. Had too much end play belt wanted to shift off just rotating by hand. I did replace all the shafts including the clutch bell, pinion, brakes and center ring gear. I

Attachments

• 20170219_115359.jpg
    20170219_115359.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 23

G-Man

Looks good from here.
I was thinking the bottom end lag is probably because of the big tyres.
I bet your top end is great though
Ya the top end is impressive. Bottom end isn't terrible. With the gear setup it took of a little quicker though. But wound out too quick. Now it really is hard to wind out. Need a huge area. I got the 1:1 belt and gearing. It is similar but slightly higher than stock gears imo. But ya the tires play into it. I'm gonna try my baja wheels next

Ol' fart

FYI. Don't use the Flying cart site. It has been shut down for years now,they just will not remove it no matter how many times I've been told they will take it down. Bunch of morons. Use 7075rc.com

Garymoe1963

When my truck is sitting there and you rev it up it doesn't go anywhere. How do you lock up the differential? Where is it at?

G-Man

Stock 35:25 would be 1.4:1
May be something is still binding then for it to not take off like it used to. Don't know why I am having so many problems with that gear plate and center diff. Like I said the end play on the brake shaft assembly was alot.

G-Man

When my truck is sitting there and you rev it up it doesn't go anywhere. How do you lock up the differential? Where is it at?
You may have loose set screws on one of your shafts. Or lost a pin or two out of the CV axles. Roll it and see if all the shafts are rotating too.

Phill

It woul
May be something is still binding then for it to not take off like it used to. Don't know why I am having so many problems with that gear plate and center diff. Like I said the end play on the brake shaft assembly was alot.
It would take off quicker at 1.4:1 than 1:1
My top speed on the DR is around 35 MPH
With the big wheels yours would be closer to 45 MPH but slower off the line.
The HPI wheels will make it faster off the line

G-Man

It woul

It would take off quicker at 1.4:1 than 1:1
My top speed on the DR is around 35 MPH
With the big wheels yours would be closer to 45 MPH but slower off the line.
The HPI wheels will make it faster off the line
Ya you are 100% correct, the ratio is the difference. I did notice a considerable increase in top speed.

Boomkidd

I've been running the 1:1 belt for a few tanks. I had to put a washer here and there to get it to ride right, but its awesome. 3/4 of the way through the 1st tank the cover screws backed out. Loctited them but the vibration just made holes around the screws and the cover eventually fell off. Its way too delicate unfortunately. So, I have no more cover which sucks if I decide to take the slicks off and play in the dirt. Not sure where to get a cover... I don't want the same one. The parts are great minus the cover. Anyone running a belt w/o the cover in like, a debris area? Issues?

designed2survive

I've been running the 1:1 belt for a few tanks. I had to put a washer here and there to get it to ride right, but its awesome. 3/4 of the way through the 1st tank the cover screws backed out. Loctited them but the vibration just made holes around the screws and the cover eventually fell off. Its way too delicate unfortunately. So, I have no more cover which sucks if I decide to take the slicks off and play in the dirt. Not sure where to get a cover... I don't want the same one. The parts are great minus the cover. Anyone running a belt w/o the cover in like, a debris area? Issues?

@Boomkidd you can always use the MCD rrv4 cover. It's thicker and more robust.

Phill

You must have some serious vibration going on.
I've been running mine for 2 yrs with no probs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts