• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Project: Reviving the Baja 5B

BertR

Pretty slick build.. I tell ya what I put that same pipe on my Baja and had to go to a 18/56 gear to balance the toque and power with my OBR..Any who that rig you have rips something serious.

designed2survive

BertR said:
Pretty slick build.. I tell ya what I put that same pipe on my Baja and had to go to a 18/56 gear to balance the toque and power with my OBR..Any who that rig you have rips something serious.
Thanks! Yeah the gearing is a bit high. Was thinking of trying 19/55. I also need a suitable set of tires for pavement. Can't decide between crushers or trenchers. Trying to avoid slicks.

BertR

You definitely have the bottom end for trenchers... Plus they hook up like no tomorrow on pavement..

Last edited by a moderator:

Ildy666

Ice_2k said:
Why not tarmac busters?
How long u had yours?and there slicks already. too soft and there only on road which defeats the purpose of on/off road driving...

I have a set good for drifting but the trenchers I have rock.good all around tire...

BertR

Big power will eat a set of Tarmac busters in one outing! Never saw the point in trying a a set as I live in the sticks and they would be worthless to have.

designed2survive

Ice_2k said:
Why not tarmac busters?
The tarmac busters are on road only and I was never really sold on them. Might be the stock aspect of it as stock tires have never lasted with me.

I have been very happy with hostile tires for durability.

Just ordered

- 4 rear hostile crushers (hard) for 5t

- hostile zero growth foam inserts

- 4 proline desperado rims

- silverback beadlocks

- silverback beadlocks screws

Thanks for all the inputs guys!

Ice_2k

Ildy666 said:
How long u had yours?and there slicks already. too soft and there only on road which defeats the purpose of on/off road driving...I have a set good for drifting but the trenchers I have rock.good all around tire...
That's true, they're not very durable (I went for the MEDIUM compound, maybe choosing a HARD one would have been a better idea). But grip wise, can offroad tires (like the trenchers or the crushers) match the tarmac busters on pavement? I'm asking because even with the tarmac busters I'm sliding all over the place (and that's basically why it's eating them so fast, it's spinning them like crazy all the time).

designed2survive

BertR said:
My xb with trenchers on will flip at the slightest turn because they grip like nobody's business on asphalt.
Unbelievable the trenchers are the deal of the day today at DDM. See what you did BertR, now I have to get a set! Lol

BertR

You will like them a lot.. They are a great all around tire! A few weeks ago I set out to the bash site and tried 4 different tires to see how they would stack up to each other. Trenchers came in first followed by RC4WD mtz , Hostile nightmare mx and last was RC4WD Dune Reaper rears.. I'm sure the result would be different on another surface because Hostile are a mean tire! Im sure you know that story lol. Oh glad to be blamed for you spending money.

designed2survive

BertR said:
You will like them a lot.. They are a great all around tire! A few weeks ago I set out to the bash site and tried 4 different tires to see how they would stack up to each other. Trenchers came in first followed by RC4WD mtz , Hostile nightmare mx and last was RC4WD Dune Reaper rears.. I'm sure the result would be different on another surface because Hostile are a mean tire! Im sure you know that story lol. Oh glad to be blamed for you spending money.
Yeah it's all your fault! Lol! Can't wait to try them on.

BertR

Lol. I'm going out tonight to do a durability run on a new set of clone paddles...I may have to post the video of it if the bash site is still muddy. Enjoy the trenchers..

designed2survive

BertR said:
Lol. I'm going out tonight to do a durability run on a new set of clone paddles...I may have to post the video of it if the bash site is still muddy. Enjoy the trenchers..
Please do!

designed2survive

Update

Where do I start?

So I ordered the crushers and thanks to BertR and DDM putting the trenchers on the DOTD (the day after my crushers order) I ordered a set as well.

Here the kicker, the very next day, after the trenchers order, DDM puts the hostile MX nightmare on the DOTD. Couldn't pass as I have literally kill my set and ordered a set too. I guess this week was tire deal week at DDM.

Tires are always needed at one point. Might as well get them while they are discounted.

So first package delivered yesterday.

Size comparison with half thread hostile MX nightmare. The crushers for rear 5T are very tall and not too skinny! Love it!

designed2survive

Mounted

Braced the wing mount.

Made a front bumper and a battery box roll bar.

Now waiting for the other orders.

designed2survive

Second order from DDM arrived. Oops looks like I bought 2 volt watch by mistake. Now I have to return one of them. DDM +20% shock springs and Proline Trenchers

Trenchers vs Crushers:

- Trenchers are taller

- Trenchers are softer (possibly more traction)

- Crusher are harder and thicker (possibly more durable but slightly less traction)

Bad news Trenchers 5t rear do not mount securely to front desperado 5t front wheel. They look freaking awesome though!

So I need to get a set of 5t rear wheels if I want to safely use the trenchers. May be silverback guerrilla (for cost and look).

BertR

Looking good.. The best thing about having a stock pile of tires is if you rotate to specific terrain they will last for a long time. Give some feedback on the spring set up..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online