• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Power adaptor for starting mt motor

Chaplain

Is there a power adaptor to start the mt motor, instead of pulling on the pull cord ?

G-Man

Is there a power adaptor to start the mt motor, instead of pulling on the pull cord ?
Killer rc sells a rotostart system for it. You have to buy a troybilt rotostart adapter for your drill separately. My adapter must have been out of round, the bit snapped off the second time I used it. I got another bit but I took it off and went back to the pull starter. Gonna try it again when I get a chance.

Chaplain

Killer rc sells a rotostart system for it. You have to buy a troybilt rotostart adapter for your drill separately. My adapter must have been out of round, the bit snapped off the second time I used it. I got another bit but I took it off and went back to the pull starter. Gonna try it again when I get a chance.

Thank you

GJB56

The Troy Bilt bits have some serious quality issues. When they work they are great but they don't last. I have bought some that are bad right out of the package. At $10 a pop they are not worth it. I wish I could find an alternative.

Wayne

What brand drill starter did you use?
Killer RC is the one I have used. There is a piece you attach to the flywheel. You also have to buy the Troy bit adapter to turn the flywheel. The adapter can be purchased at Lowes for about $10. I think the piece you fit to the flywheel is around $50. You have to have a straight shot to the center of your flywheel. Some side mount exhaust pipes will cause problems. I used it and had no complainants but I did encounter one or two bad Troy bit adapters that I returned to Lowes. The set up is simple and easy to install and easy to use. It makes cold starts with the 990 carb. much easier. There is a minimum RPM rating for the drill if you use this system I am not sure what it is but if you are using a cordless drill I would not try anything under 18 volts. You must use a rotary drill only.

Last edited:

G-Man

The Troy Bilt bits have some serious quality issues. When they work they are great but they don't last. I have bought some that are bad right out of the package. At $10 a pop they are not worth it. I wish I could find an alternative.
Ya you got that right. It was sweet for the first 2 times. I thought it was me till I did a little internet digging. Some old timer has a youtube video explaining how out of round his is. I checked my first one that broke, sure enough it is also. So I now have a rovan easy pull start on it.

GJB56

Ya you got that right. It was sweet for the first 2 times. I thought it was me till I did a little internet digging. Some old timer has a youtube video explaining how out of round his is. I checked my first one that broke, sure enough it is also. So I now have a rovan easy pull start on it.

Do you have the Rovan on an MT? I read somewhere that it was to big and wouldn't clear the chassis so I didn't give it a second thought. Kind of expensive but if it works I would give it a shot.

G-Man

Do you have the Rovan on an MT? I read somewhere that it was to big and wouldn't clear the chassis so I didn't give it a second thought. Kind of expensive but if it works I would give it a shot.
No I have the Rovan easy pullstart on my Dunerunner. In order to fit the MT you will have to cut the chassis like the other side is notched to clear the gears in the transmission. Really any of the easy start pull starters are the same size, FID, Killer rc etc. They all are wider than the stock one

GJB56

No I have the Rovan easy pullstart on my Dunerunner. In order to fit the MT you will have to cut the chassis like the other side is notched to clear the gears in the transmission. Really any of the easy start pull starters are the same size, FID, Killer rc etc. They all are wider than the stock one

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll give it a shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.