• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

No Go For Joe

M

magnum57

I was cleaning out my shed and uncovered one of my first gassers:confused: Its been abused and beat up by my son my nephew etc. Anyway it’s a Carson Comanche with a 27cc. It’s basically like a FG. Pretty well built truck. I got it running. I had to replace the steering linkage and servo, Servo tray, Control system, Wheels and tires. But she no go. After all this work I need to finish it and give it to next generation RC destroyers…..lol Sounded like the clutch but it looks fine. All the gears mesh nicely. When I give it throttle it wants to go but then just whines and won’t move:( What do you think?

Piranha2

Contributor
I was going to say rusted clutch spring(s) because it sat for awhile, did you make sure it moved freely?

hellya

if you turn the rear wheels/tires by hand what does it do??? As you turn 1 tire in one direction the other tire should turn in the opposite direction by itself.

Can you move the drive train by hand from the clutch bell pinion

I'm still running my stock diff on my traveller...many tank fulls..did upgrade the outer casing to a SS case

Last edited by a moderator:

Rampage.Pete

easy to locate i hope... if you checked everything mentioned above like does everything spin freely? the fire upp and just see what is last moving gear... if your truck can roll freely and clutch bell moves too then you know you can locate the problem this way... but yea my bet is the clutch is not opening up as it should... or diff busted... but weak springs would not cause it to not move more likely would move but when letting go of throttle it would stall if low idle... maybe need to clean the bell from inside?

M

magnum57

Ripped the whole thing down. Clutch is fine. The problem is the diff. I filled it with hot glue. I cant spend any more $$$$ on this one. Going to the lake to run a new motor in one of my boats and maybe catch a few bass. When I get back I’ll try it. YEA POZZZZZZZZI traction…lol:eek: Anyway thanks guys.

kryptonite

i love uncovering old gifts that i forgot about. but finding a fifth scale in my garage is a far shot for me. thats like an alcholic losing a beer:D

M

magnum57

Well the glue gun trick didn’t work:( now I have to do what I should of done in the first place is replace the diff gears. Oh well worth a try. I guess I’ll replace with the FG gears. Its like crap by the time I get it running right I’ll have spent a small fortune:mad: Had a great run with the boat today on the lake. New motor ran sweet until I flipped it and filled the boat with H2o:eek:Got it running right away so should be fine. NO BASS. Hot 85 today feels like its going to be a long summer here in the desert.

Sprint 77

Contributor
See if tower has the duratrax firehammer blue upgrade diff it is pretty good and not quite FG price then get a cover in stainless from Python and you got a nice diff inexpensive. I got that same truck in a XTM Grizzly and I got mostly Duratrax Firehammer parts on it.

hellya

magnum57 said:
Well the glue gun trick didn’t work:( now I have to do what I should of done in the first place is replace the diff gears. Oh well worth a try. I guess I’ll replace with the FG gears. .
Just so you know the outdrive splines are different sized between FG and the Duratrax.....If you go with a FG diff or internals gears you will also need the FG outdrives
..........................................................................................................................................................................You could just replace the internal gears from tower hobbies http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHTU5&P=Z They don't sell the firehammer at tower anymore but they sell the MT and partsheres the blue diff upgrade http://cgi.ebay.com/DuraTrax-Diff-Case-Aluminum-w-Bearings-Blue-FireHammer_W0QQitemZ290297510516QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116 ....not in stock at towerAnd like sprint77 stated.... get the SS diff cover like I used to sell many years ago http://www.pythonmotorsports.com/fg/offroad_parts/fg_buggy_parts/hop_up/buggy_hopupparts.html KopievonDiferentialh_lseausStahlgeiegnetf_rFGCarsonunsAnderebeiStandadt-Differential.JPG Sock diff cover is on the right....big difference
835c_1.jpg

/monthly_2009_03/835c_1.jpg.307eb25650951df96f2fb72639c9e6f3.jpg

M

magnum57

This thing is one hundred dalloring me to death:confused: Thanks for the info. Hellya love your signature:D Every time I see you post it’s a pleasure, gravity will get the better of those two lol…..

hellya

magnum57 said:
This thing is one hundred dalloring me to death:confused: Thanks for the info. Hellya love your signature:D Every time I see you post it’s a pleasure, gravity will get the better of those two lol…..
it already has.... :D ...follow the bouncing boobies....I love gravity avatar40306_18.jpg

/monthly_2009_02/avatar40306_18.jpg.f6bdd0b7e37bdb83e749e642c1da14cf.jpg

Sprint 77

Contributor
I don't know if you have access to a lathe and a good Tig welder. There is a way to make it POZI for free.

set both the spider gears that have the outdrive splines in the diff without the cover mic the inside distance between the gears. Now have someone cut a piece of .500 dia or .375 " no matter tube that length on the lathe set it in between the gears and weld it up, Vaila a locker spool for free. As long as you run it on dirt or grass you will be fine, pavement get to raising tire bill quickly

M

magnum57

That’s a great idea. I like the free part. Will my millermatic wire feed welder do the trick or is a tig welder a must ???

Sprint 77

Contributor
Be a little trick but might be possible watch for little weld bb's fall in the part the outdrive goes in.

May not be the best way but it doesn't work now so if you get some time out of it then, maybe the nephew can have summer job to buy his own diff since your givin him the truck.

hellya

Most people who have locked the diff. on the Hammer or FG vehicles have said that they become practically undrivable due to steering problems and spin-outs when throttling....the turning is fine, but the oversteer at slow speeds is pretty bad. once your moving it's fine.

Since your diff is toast you can do a cheap lock to experiment.. get JB Weld.. open up the diff. and fill the 4 spider gears with jb weld. Then put cover back in & your out-put drives back in place. Make sure you put back in your out-put drives, very important. If you don't the jb will leak out onto the threads and you will never get the out-puts to set on the teeth right. Let it set-up over night. There you go , instant posi- traction ! Its a little harder to control on take off, but much funner this way. Alot more traction from this set-up. Although I wouldn't suggest this for racing, but good for back-yard bashing.

A limited slip diff ( adjustable 0-90%) is the way to go...MY 2 cents

Sprint 77

Contributor
I agree the adjustable diff is cool I was merely suggesting a way for him to have some family fun running this truck along with his others. He needs a way to lock it for now that he can fix it right later if his nephew likes the hobby. The JB WELD is messy as far as he can't go back and fix that diff, he welds the spool he can replace the gears later in that diff still. There pros and cons both ways but point is it sounds like he not racing just trying to scrap another truck together to have a driving buddy.

Gitter dun Magnum 57 hope all the suggestions help you the parts Hellya linked are the way to go if you patch it for now and want to order the parts later.

M

magnum57

Bingo jb weld just happen to have a tube of that:D I’ll do that until the parts I ordered come in. Thanks for the links Hellya. My nephew is splitting the cost. Now we’ll see if my son and him can get this basher going. I’m tired of them using my rigs, my gas, my everything:rolleyes: Oh well I don’t really mind. Great family fun:) Thanks for all the help guys.

M

magnum57

Still need help:confused:I ripped it all down again. Decided to replace the clutch and did so. Put all back together. Still nothing. I took the diff out and I inspected it not my Son and Nephew. Of course they give up and come get me to try and figure it out:mad:Aren’t kids great? Anyway the diff looks ok I guess. Could use some grease. If I spin one side the other spins in opposite direction. Before I put this thing back together again for a disappointment give me some advice on getting this thing to go:D

P3060019.jpg

P3060022.jpg

P3060023.jpg

P3060024.jpg

P3060025.jpg

/monthly_2009_03/P3060019.jpg.54d1f6638a18462c0e9636ba7cda7a4f.jpg

/monthly_2009_03/P3060022.jpg.13f5123b952cf3223ca8323da7928c1c.jpg

/monthly_2009_03/P3060023.jpg.9d53a320fa39e92bb01f2c206c7f5567.jpg

/monthly_2009_03/P3060024.jpg.544ceb6545c7b7493ad15db2163d112c.jpg

/monthly_2009_03/P3060025.jpg.c68fabb527f6fe5ba0c3e92ee556ded3.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts