• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New Shocks

Mike4130

I finally finished my shock build. The Shock tubes and piggyback caps are from Redcat.The Spring retainers are from Full Force RC. I used HPI Baja springs with Dark Souls shock shafts (Thanks Deluge). Here are some pics from the build.

B803856C-91DC-4EBE-8226-882831D826CC_zps6oymhsvf.jpg

21471A98-1C8B-47B6-AEA5-2D3E4948D975_zpsqgsttkcd.jpg

FB2E96B7-3F64-4C83-A33D-26A0192A0990_zpsv2hmtkxf.jpg

96BC6618-9F19-4E44-8E63-664A400B060D_zpslwbcphrm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike4130

MTMIKE said:
Where did you get the rubber boots covering the CVA joints?
Those came with the HPI Heavy VVC/HD Shocks. You can use the shafts and pistons with Redcat cylinders. I only used the shaft boot and the piston. The shafts are from Dark Soul racing. The cylinders and caps are from Redcat. Forgot to mention the DDM springs...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ildy666

What size length are the shafts? Are they baja fronts for front and baja rears for.the rear or fronts all around or rears all around?

I'm asking because I'm going to build my own also.

I've seen 8 mm diameter shafts just want to get the right length

Also can u just buy the res. Caps and bodies or do u buy the shock and Frankenstein from there?What weight oil did u use? I was going to use 40 weight oil would that be good for bashing?

Mike4130

Ildy666 said:
What size length are the shafts? Are they baja fronts for front and baja rears for.the rear or fronts all around or rears all around?I'm asking because I'm going to build my own also.

I've seen 8 mm diameter shafts just want to get the right length

Also can u just buy the res. Caps and bodies or do u buy the shock and Frankenstein from there?What weight oil did u use? I was going to use 40 weight oil would that be good for bashing?
I believe the shafts are fronts all around. I actually got them from a member on this forum (Deluge). So I didn't actually have do the math, that was already done for me. But as far as the Caps and bodies go, I bought just the caps from Redcat (Parts dept had a set to sell) & installed them on my factory bodies.

I run 40wt in them now. I've run as low as 25wt with the factory springs but with these HPI springs from DDM, I moved up to 40. The factories are a lot stiffer than these. Good luck with the caps sealing, I had a hell of a time solving a leaking issue at 2 of the 4 caps. Ended up using Teflon tape around the threads and problem solved. The provided O rings didn't work at all.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help.

Ildy666

Cool I appreciate the response.i saw res. Caps on site just wondering if they will fit my stock aluminum bodies. Then the shafts will fit the bodies then I need springs.u said stock are stiff how are the baja springs with 40 weight.i don't want the ass end to hop to much and the stock set hops to much for me.what I'm trying to say is I want the suspension to actually work...lol... what springs size are u using fronts or rears...thanx again....

Mike4130

The HPI springs are really squishy, but for bashing and rough terrain I like that. It seems to keep the tires on the ground better rather than hopping all over the place. You can always go with a heavier oil also.I used the rear HPI springs all around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts