• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New and Won't Start

Twistofkain

So,

I was all excited to finally break in my new Chimera. Fuel=check, Castor 927= check! Mixed and ready to rock = heck ya! Start up = nope... I immediately hit the forums and start my check list (thanks again to old posts on this site very helpful). I discover that I have no spark. First I replace the plug with an NGK (gapped .026). Still no spark. Then my friend and I start open heart surgery deciding that it could be the ignition coil and/or the gap between it and flywheel. Ta-da, on the coil itself wrapped around the bottom left edge is what I would describe as glue, almost like the adhesive that attaches a gift card to the cardboard when you buy one from a store. Probably why I have no spark and this also explained why some of the pulls on the starter were tougher than they should be. We reposition the coil (business card as a tool for space) and put her back together. Three good pulls on the pull starter and oops, broke the pull starter. Soooo, parts are ordered (pull start, ignition coil and flywheel (just in case), along with a piston stopper. If I still don't have spark after replacing and/or repositioning the coil, did I miss anything? Also, how long is it safe to leave fuel in my never-run tank?

Greggfromohio

There's a couple things I can think of to check. Do you have a kill switch? If so make sure that is functioning property. If you don't have one it is highly recommended that you install one! One other thing would be to check the kill button. They are "normally open" which means current doesn't flow through it unless you push on it.*

Deluge

You pretty much covered everything that would cause a no spark issue. One other thing to check would be the kill switch on the engine. If it's stuck, the engine won't start. Shouldn't be a problem with a new engine, but I've seen stranger things happen.

Personally, I wouldn't leave fuel in the tank. But if you want to leave it in there, I wouldn't go longer than a week or two.

Twistofkain

Thanks! Kill Switch being ordered so no issue there. As for the kill button on the engine, yep checked that too by removing the rubber cover to ensure it wasn't mashed in. As for the gas, I hated leaving it in but with the Chimera it's a pain to dump because of the cage. I'm just going to dump it though. Thanks everyone!

Twistofkain

Okay, replaced the pull start, checked spark, and seem to be good to go. Un-flooded the engine (turned over and drained), dried plug, but she still won't start. I decided to remove the plug and let her sit over night to fully dry out. Am I missing anything?

Greggfromohio

Prime the bulb well then only pull it 2 times with choke on. Then turn choke off and it should start within a few pulls. If it floods again try leaning out the low speed needle.

Phill

Take the engine cover off and check the head bolts

Mine were loose from new

Last edited by a moderator:

Ildy666

Phill said:
Take the engine cover off and check the head boltsMine were lose from new
+1 on that. my head gasket blew out and caused tuning problems....

Twistofkain

Okay, thanks. I have yet to have it start but noticed that I am getting fuel blowing out of the exhaust during my pull start sessions. Is that normal?

Twistofkain

Nice, while researching this gas issue I found the post about gas with ethanol from a couple years ago. I take it this still holds true? Looks like I'm dumping my fuel too.

Phill

Twistofkain said:
Okay, thanks. I have yet to have it start but noticed that I am getting fuel blowing out of the exhaust during my pull start sessions. Is that normal?
Not normal

It usually means it's flooded

Have you checked that inlet and exhausts are tight and not leaking air?

Twistofkain

It's alive! It's alive! I adjusted the carb, both high and low, leaning them out. That did the trick. It's running really rich though (gas/oil blowing out the exhaust). Time to tune. I wanted to personally thank everyone for their help in this forum and Cody from Redcat. Their customer service and tech support was really helpful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts