• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Multiple hop-up questions

PrjctStrtFrce

Hello all,

I have been reading up quite a bit on this site, as well as other sites relating to the Rampage MT V3 and I still have a few questions regarding the hop-ups that I am considering.

-What air filter would be the best option? I have seen the HPI, and a piece that angles the filter up a little bit...links to purchase these or better options?

-I purchased the 050024 pipe with the truck and was wondering if it is a decent pipe for the money? I would rather keep it than getting one that costs 3x the amount...so hopefully the 050024 will suffice?

-I have seen that there are quite a few different Walbro carburetors. Which one would be the most user friendly and reliable? Which one would have the best performance gain? I assume that all would be direct bolt-ons? Pros/cons of a choke on these?

-I have seen quite a few different kill switches and am not sure which one to go with? Are any better than the others? Is the one that RedCat offers any good?

-Is there any benefit from getting the alloy manifold?

-Does the truck come with a 8,000rpm clutch? If not, then what does it come with? Is it recommended to upgrade the clutch and/or just the spring?

-Are there any wheel nuts that have nylon in them? I have put on quite a bit of blue loctite and they still manage to loosen up.

Links to the best pieces with best prices would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

G

-What air filter would be the best option? I have seen the HPI, and a piece that angles the filter up a little bit...links to purchase these or better options?
The HPI is one of the best. I also like the DT1 filters. Both can be found at DDM

G

-I purchased the 050024 pipe with the truck and was wondering if it is a decent pipe for the money? I would rather keep it than getting one that costs 3x the amount...so hopefully the 050024 will suffice?
It adds more noise than HP. It will be short lived due to the fact it is aluminum. When it comes to the tuned pipes you get what you pay for.

G

-I have seen that there are quite a few different Walbro carburetors. Which one would be the most user friendly and reliable? Which one would have the best performance gain? I assume that all would be direct bolt-ons? Pros/cons of a choke on these?
The 668 is the most user friendly because of the choke. No performance gains over stock. The factory carb was designed after the 668.

The 813/998 and 990 are both nice carbs and get rid of the lag experienced by the 668. Once you get use to the they are just as easy to start as the 668.

G

-I have seen quite a few different kill switches and am not sure which one to go with? Are any better than the others? Is the one that RedCat offers any good?
It depends on what you are looking for. We sell a remote kill switch. http://www.rcpitstop.net/kill-switch--electronics.html It has been working flawlessly in several of my rides. Some others have more bells and whistles. Again it just depends on what you want out of it.

Last edited:
G

-Does the truck come with a 8,000rpm clutch? If not, then what does it come with? Is it recommended to upgrade the clutch and/or just the spring?
The stock is a 6000rpm version. You can either replace the whole thing or just the spring, same results.

Using a higher rpm spring greatly improves the launch.

G

-Are there any wheel nuts that have nylon in them? I have put on quite a bit of blue loctite and they still manage to loosen up.
Not that I am aware of. They should be chafed on one side. That should bite into the wheel and keep it tight.

PrjctStrtFrce

RCDAD said:
It adds more noise than HP. It will be short lived due to the fact it is aluminum. When it comes to the tuned pipes you get what you pay for.
What rear exit pipe would you recommend?

RCDAD said:
The 668 is the most user friendly because of the choke. No performance gains over stock. The factory carb was designed after the 668.The 813/998 and 990 are both nice carbs and get rid of the lag experienced by the 668. Once you get use to the they are just as easy to start as the 668.
What are the differences, if any, with the 813, 998, and 990? Any of them better than the other two?

RCDAD said:
Not that I am aware of. They should be chafed on one side. That should bite into the wheel and keep it tight.
I may have received some from the crappy batch then because none of them are chafed. :( I'll just put on more loctite along with some teflon tape and see how that works.

RCDAD said:
It depends on what you are looking for. We sell a remote kill switch. http://www.rcpitstop.net/kill-switch--electronics.html It has been working flawlessly in several of my rides. Some others have more bells and whistles. Again it just depends on what you want out of it.
I'm not looking for any extra features...just want the motor to cut out if and when the battery gets too low (is that low voltage adjustable or is it set at a certain point?), loss of radio signal, or a radio glitch of some sort. I assume that the two kill switches posted on this page meet that criteria?

PrjctStrtFrce

rookie101 said:
Great! Thank you. I assume that the shread stack is used for easier maintenance of the filter and has no performance gains?

Also, what is the 30.5CC motor in the MT V3...a Zenoah, CY, ??? What is the exact or proper model name for the motor?

Last edited by a moderator:

rookie101

It does give you a slight increase in performance as well as it will not warp when tightening the carb. Also gets the air filter up and away from the throttle linkage.

Both the kill switches listed will kill the engine with any range glitches and the Ram-tech one can be used on the third channel for aux kill, but not sure on the other.

I believe both the 813 and 998 both have an accelerator pump.

RampageHopUps

Both kill switches will shut off the engine when the load gets too great on the servos. It is not adjustable, but if you are running a regular Redcat with no Lipos or wierd batteries, then it doesn;t have to be.

G

What rear exit pipe would you recommend?
The CPI is a decent rear mount pipe. The DDM Dom and Jetpro are nice side mount pipes.

All 3 require body trimming.

What are the differences, if any, with the 813, 998, and 990? Any of them better than the other two?
The 813 & 998 are very similar. Both have an accelerator pump. The 990 is basically a 813 minus the accelerator pump.

tha nemesis

i recommend the jetpro pipe .. has a lifetime warranty and they have a awesome sound .. plus decent performance gains .. also look into getting your steering servo upgraded .. the stock one is ok but a hitec or savox are more geared for the racer/basher and have more speed and torque to help control the 35lb truck .. and i would personally use a blue medium locktight threadlocker on all metal to metal screws and bolts .

RampageHopUps

The Catbox will be better in performance than the can mufflers, but the sound will be higher. The 3" stingers muffle the sound a little bit.

G

The longer pipes also will help keep the exhaust mess out of the vehicle.

PrjctStrtFrce

Great, sounds good.

Will this Walbro 998 fit with this aluminum IM or this aluminum IM on the stock MT motor???

I'm not 100% sure as the manifolds look a little bit different, and I'm not sure if it would be better to have two plenum spacers opposed to one plenum and one paper gasket??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts