• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Mods for Rampage used as a camera vehicle

flyboy

Hello, new to RC and buying an electric rampage buggy to be used as a video camera vehicle with a small gyro stabilized head on it.

My question is what mods does everyone think I should look into doing to handle the weight of cameras? I will need for it to carry/handle approx 8-10 lbs of gear that I will make mounts for.

What suspensions parts? Shock towers, shocks. etc.

Also will need to make buggy work at slower speeds as well. Will prob kill some top end I guess, but are there any gearing changes I should make to make the slower speeds more stable?

Thanks, J

chapinb

Heavier Springs - baja Springs fit but can't remember what what size. I'm sure some else will chime in here. Thicker oil too to deal with the added weight, 50-60 wt should be a good starting point.

No chassis mods needed, it's plentry strong enough for the weight. Stock shock towers are fine.

I'd gear down some for 2 reasons. Added weight of course, but with a camera smooth take offs may be important. A lower ratio will help reduce clogging giving smoother starts.

phreerider

nice sounds cool, a big gimble setup will alter CG , so go LOW on setup. really squeeze it down. maybe HPI adapters WITH EXTENSIONS to widen footprint. to stock tires will work for a while, but fat and heavy will provide nice weight to the total unit given higher stability. the extra weight will eat the bearings, and if wet conditions even worse.

the gearing will help but reduce total runtime. weight and short ratio will be a power hog.

they are fairly tough out of the box, but ANY component that holds bearings will need(eventually) to be switched to alloy,rather than plastic. the steering/tierods will get sloppy fast <100hours. i use my XB(gas)as a tow unit and has performed well with stock gopro attached. i am not that picky on vid quality and just create basic low edited vid log of activities. a easy stretch for the plastic tierod ends is to heat them til soft and squeeze them in tight socket and let cool to firm them up easily doubles the life. too much heat will make them brittle so replacement is eminent. good luck, you are an image guy so lets see pics of the setup!

check video and pics section for my basic set up in action

Last edited by a moderator:

flyboy

many thanks and more questions

Thanks to both of you for your input. Have some questions.

What are HPI adapters with extensions? Like the idea of widening the footprint.

As far as tires, I would like to go with something that will work on asphalt. Also on football turf. I will prob have to have several sets for different conditions. Any recommendations?

Do you recommend a brand of replacement parts? Bearings, alloy tie rods, etc? Or a vendor that knows his stuff on these cars?

Thanks again.

phreerider

i use vbx.com bearings... stainless steel or better is choice

the wheel adapters allow use of "HPI" which is a brand (and hpi clones) wheels which is great for multiple options.

ROVAN / KING MOTOR have great clone stuff for hpi stuff like tires...proline and hostile(prolly best asphalt) tires u can get.

DGI --->tierods

focused alloy parts--->7075

there's a small mountain of tech stuff you need to proceed in choices, but you are the right place for knowledge and direction. if u r seasoned rc esp. for 1/5 th should be easy.

if u r green on RC stuff don't get frustrated, keep surfin' and soak it up.

futaba radio! swap ASAP... and kill switch by killer rc and hitec servos. thats a good start. the links on the left are a solid start to access parts.

DemonRC

Be sure to get the 7075 RC hubs so you can run the larger bearings because the stock 19mm bearings will only last a few runs with all the added weight. Wheel hub extenders will definitely kill the stock 19mm bearings.

flyboy

Much thanks!!

phreerider thanks!! Really great info, appreciate it.

Also thanks DemonRC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts