• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Making the Dubro Balancer work with MT Wheels/tires

RenoReno

Hey guys,

I just got my Dubro balancer today. I saw a demo of it on a youtube video and it looks to be a pretty effective balancer for props or wheels.

Here's the problem. The aluminum cones that lock in the wheel to the shaft to complete the balance are too small to get a lock on the giant MT wheels. Think of the way they use cone shaped steel, that slides on to a shaft, to lock in your cars wheels/tires when they're being balanced at the tire shop.

Has anyone else successfully used this balancer with large diameter hub wheels? If so how'd you get the wheels to lock onto the balance shaft.

If you guys want me to post a picture to better visualize what I'm describing let me know and I'll put one or two up. Thanks in advance for any idea's.

RenoReno

Deluge said:
Try taking one of the wheel hexes off, mount the wheel on it and see if the cones will lock onto the hex.
Thanks. What's involved in removing the hex. Punch pins, or threaded item?

G

There is a bolt in the center of the axle pressing against the pin. Loosen it up and just push the pin out.

RenoReno

If I can't make this Dubro balancer work somehow for my MT, I'll hang on to it for prop balancing on the next toy, which will be a quadcopter. Wanting Thunder Tiger MT-4 too.

Still want to balance these big ass tires and wheels though. What have others done to balance theirs?

rampage idiot

RenoReno said:
If I can't make this Dubro balancer work somehow for my MT, I'll hang on to it for prop balancing on the next toy, which will be a quadcopter. Wanting Thunder Tiger MT-4 too.Still want to balance these big ass tires and wheels though. What have others done to balance theirs?
I dig trenches in the grass with mine never gave balancing a thought! LOL

Greggfromohio

I took the driveshaft out of one corner of the truck and then used that hub to balance the tires. It definitively made a difference, the tires don't wobble near as bad as they use to.

RenoReno

Greggfromohio said:
I took the driveshaft out of one corner of the truck and then used that hub to balance the tires. It definitively made a difference, the tires don't wobble near as bad as they use to.
Sorry if this seems like a dumb clarification question. When you say you took the driveshaft out of a corner then balanced. So you used the existing wheel bearings as a way to freely spin the wheel and find where the heavy spot on the wheel was? Is the spin on the wheel bearings free enough that it works well?

Greggfromohio

RenoReno said:
Sorry if this seems like a dumb clarification question. When you say you took the driveshaft out of a corner then balanced. So you used the existing wheel bearings as a way to freely spin the wheel and find where the heavy spot on the wheel was? Is the spin on the wheel bearings free enough that it works well?
Yes that is correct.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts