• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Lost Dog Bone Pin

noyb98098

Thats my project for the weekend. Just need the zipties, using stock baja boots now with grease.

noyb98098

Zipties are a no go for front and rear wheels. The connector prevents the wheel from spining freely, but it works for front and rear drive shaft. Seems shrink wrapping is the best idea after all.

pipeous

I posted in my introducing thread but the pins are binding at full extension. put the buggy or truck on a stand under chassis and spin a wheel slowly with suspension at full downtravel. once in a while you can feel it binding a little.

I did the same thing with the shrink wrap but the dogbone pins stick out of the outdrive a bit and with travel up and down it will wear a hole in the wrap soon enough. here's a pic on the front of how I cut a chunk of stainless tube in half to makea channel for the pins under the wrap

th_DSCI0004-3.jpg

th_DSCI0005-3.jpg

down the center I slid some braided rubber hose over the outdrives, as they don't move and I have never broken one of those pins...

just put the dogbone over a socket and use a punch to get them out. I cut the shank off old 5/32 drill bits to replace the pins and have done 7 I believe now 9and getting creative because I have run out of dull 5/32 bits and not cutting my ti ones)

easier solution is to put 10mm of nitro fuel tubing inside the shock under the piston to limit downtravel. the pins are breaking, not falling out. I have even found the drivetrain still working with only half a pin

the Phatdad shock shafts are 5mm shorter than stock so me thinks they allready had the same idea of shortening the travel but kept it quiet hehe... good advertising though, good shafts and also save your drivetrain.... I still used fuel tube though.

I was going to replace all my shafts with MCD ones but I knew there had to be a reason. the pins take a serious wack with hammer and punch to get them out, so falling out just didn't seem possible to meand I started looking at why they were breaking.

I can't wait to do some other cool mods I have seen (the suspension pin holder drilled through chassis is excellent and next for me).

I just added the race ported stuffed crank from DDM, but needed to solve the drivetrain issues before getting more power. Now my bud's Baja is going to get spanked even worse by the Kitty ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaz the Minotaur

I couldn't figure out what you ment by cutting the stainless tube in half but I understand now. Good idea. What size shrink tube did you use? I think I will try the fuel tubing trick.

Are you using your wife's hair scrunchy to hold the upper arm up? Thats what it looks like the the pic. :D

pipeous

That's funny. ya a hair scrunchy. I am alsointo crawlers and I use elastic bands for droop setup. I broke a number of them so got a package of those from the dollar store to try. they are good for holding crap.

that shrink wrap is bought at electrical supply stores. it's actually for exterior wiring and has a glue inside that gets soft when heated. hold very well. I was given some by Rob at Vancouver hobbies this time, but I get it from a supply store a few blocks from his place... never thought about the size.... I use it on all my outdrives from 1/8 up to keep from losing pins and setscrews

Kaz the Minotaur

Did you use 10mm of tubing on the front shocks also even though they are shorter?

What did you secure the pin inside the bone with?

Last edited by a moderator:

pipeous

I have 7 dogbones here and not one had a pin fall out. only broken pins. I dremmeled a bit out of the middle of the pin before putting back and filled with jb weld, hammered them in, then put alittle jb around the outside.... all except the last pin and I just punched it in.... haven't broken a pin last 2 times out and usually I was breaking them before I burned a tank of fuel.

the stainless tube trick gives the shrink wrap strength and provides a channel for free movement of the bone, but I'd bet money that it's not even needed with the downtravel limited, because that stops the binding

I am going to look over my fg setup and see if I can't make a droop screw setup on the upper arms like they use eventually. a stopper off the shock tower? has to be a way. but for now, the tubing is easy and works.

Gas Jocky

I tapped the pins out and lightly abrazed the pin with a dremel (or a file would work )then applied red lock tite and tapped back in place. They haven't budged since.

pipeous

Kaz, sounds like your dogbone has some wear if it slides through. you might want to find some other kind of rod to pound in that one... jb weld is only so strong. it can assist but won't hold up to the pounding. I try to keep a box of assorted hard metal pins and rods for fixing drive pins and such that I can cut. even having spare pins that go through the outdrive (held by setscrews) are handy... though being inside the rim they don't fall out often

I dig the name too :D pipeous was from my days way back when I played d and d hehe

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts