• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

kill switch engaging again

jonathan13

Again I am facing a kill switch issue. I cannot figure out why it keeps shutting the truck down. I tried it at work and at home so I know nothing is interfering with the transmitter. My batteries are charged fully and I am running the recommended NGK plug now.

The last time I tried running it, it shut off within the first minute before I had even done any driving.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

jonathan13

So unhook them and let it idle for a few minutes to test if it's going to engage the kill switch or unplug them for a few minutes and plug them back in without running it to sort of reset them?

G

Also try......

Turn on your electronics. Do not start the engine. Watch the switch to see if it ever triggers. If it does not trigger and only does while the engine is running, it is electrical interference.

RampageHopUps

jonathan13 said:
So unhook them and let it idle for a few minutes to test if it's going to engage the kill switch or unplug them for a few minutes and plug them back in without running it to sort of reset them?
Run the engine for 5 miinutes without servos to see if they are causing either a glitch or a battery spike.

jonathan13

Well it looks like it must be electrical interference. What do I check?

jonathan13

I Will take a closer look at the kill switch today and also run without the servos plugged in. I don't understand what has changed because ever since I put that NGK plug in, I never had issues and now all of a sudden it has started happening again.

alfred e numan

rampage hop ups is right, andy ken is also pointing you in the correct direction. may not have been the spark plug to begin with. could be just from working on the r-c, moving the wiring around. i suspect broken solder joint-s where the servo wires connect to the printed circut board- and-or- the same thing where the recievers antenna wires connect to the circut board. yes the antenna has 2 wires. its called a dipole antenna. look real close at the reciever- remove the 2 screws, cut the sticker with a knife, open it up and look.

alfred e numan

posted this before. its r-c season. time to repost. the recievers antenna wire has a loose fitment where it goes tru the recievers case, this places all the stress on the 2 solder joints. split the case, look @ the 2 antenna wires real close. if they look good- put a dab of shoo-goo where the antenna goes tru the recievers case halves, and reassemble.

ARROWS SHOW GLUE POINTS 001.jpg

ARROWS SHOW GLUE POINTS 002.jpg

ARROWS SHOW GLUE POINTS 001.jpg

ARROWS SHOW GLUE POINTS 002.jpg

/monthly_2013_03/583c60703b949_ARROWSSHOWGLUEPOINTS001.jpg.159b7effeae93593d37ddffd1c64b365.jpg

/monthly_2014_03/583c60703d031_ARROWSSHOWGLUEPOINTS002.jpg.6e68f91e724524b69e98db4674b37aa6.jpg

jonathan13

Well I just tried running it with the servos unplugged. I didn't think about it before but with the servos unplugged the kill switch stays engaged so I can't do it like that. Am I missing something with that plan?

Michaels12

I'm thinking the servos being unplugged shouldn't engage the kill switch.

I'm with Alfred, I think it's an intermittent transmission to and/or from rc/tx.

As always.... I reserve the right to be wrong.

jonathan13

With the servos unplugged when I turn on the receiver after it initializes the LED immediately goes red. I just tore the cover off the engine to check the connections at the "stop button" and everything is fine there. Put it back together, started it and it ran for 45 seconds and then the kill switch engaged again shutting it off. I've checked the solder on the kill switch and wiggled all the wires from the servos, battery, on/off switch, antenna, and tossed my remote around a little and I can't get it to replicate it turning off. I'm clueless once again

Since it does engage with the servos unplugged does that mean there is something wrong with the kill switch?

jonathan13

Is the green LED on the kill switch supposed to stay on all the time? It has always blinked when first turning on and then went out, but now that I am looking at it closer sometimes the light goes solid green and sometimes it starts flashing green again and then as I said before most of the time it stays off after I turn the truck on and it has initialized.

jonathan13

Okay so I just left the truck and transmitter on WITHOUT the engine running and the kill switch engaged and went red. So it doesn't have anything to do with the truck running. If that is the case what does that point towards?

jonathan13

Reset the kill switch and this time it stayed green for 2 minutes and then the light went off, but it hasn't engaged and went red yet

Edit: engaged and went red again while left alone with engine not running.

alfred e numan

jonathan13 said:
Well I just tried running it with the servos unplugged. I didn't think about it before but with the servos unplugged the kill switch stays engaged so I can't do it like that. Am I missing something with that plan?
It should not make any diff if the servos are not in circut. the kill switch should operate corectly. i think the problem is electricly speaking-- up stream some where in the wiring. but-- i could be wrong. just saying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts