• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

K&N Air Filters

Chief409

Has anyone tried K&N air filters. I know they're good on dirt bikes, but they take a long time to clean and oil, with our buggies so close to the ground I'm not sure if they're worth it in dusty conditions.

Chief409

Thanks, follows what I was thinking, they'd load up quickly. I've used them for my full scale trucks off road, friends use them on dirt bikes, buying replacement filters all the time gets expensive.

alfred e numan

do not use a k-n filter on your car. you WILL ingest dust-fine dirt -even fine sand. even if you use outerwares over this type of filter you WILL ingest junk.-

alfred e numan

pardon me for sounding harsh- i have had the flu since friday.- k-n- is 2 layers of cotton gauze. as dry dirt-dust builds up on the filter media, it wicks the oil off the filter onto the dirt. when the cotton has not enough oil on it- its pretty much useless. In super talcum dust- I use Maxama FFT oil. When its not so bad, I use No-Toil filter oil and cleaner. just saying---

Chief409

Good info. Saw them on one of the online stores while looking for a velocity stack to clamp DT1 filters on. K&N probably makes 'em for weed wackers.

Chief409

When I used a K&N air filter on the Bronco I checked it constantly on off-road weekends. It would make a whole weekend of running, but the Bronco doesn't throw dirt at the exposed air cleaner like a DR does. Which is why I use Outerwears, some added protection.

Stopped by the motorcycle shop on the way home and picked up a bottle of FFT filter oil and can of FAB1 spray filter oil. (Thanks Alfred) Want to try both to see which I like better. Been using the filter oil I use with the nitro trucks. The 2 DT1 filters and the Outerwears filter cover for them were waiting in the mail. LargeScaleRC shipped the velocity stack, gasket and 2 M5X55 screws this morning. I hope that package arrives by Friday.

And, have I ever mentioned that I HATE RECOIL STARTERS? Mine is already starting to act up. I need to play with it to engage the engine now. Hope it lasts till after our Thanksgiving RV trip to the beach.

G

And, have I ever mentioned that I HATE RECOIL STARTERS? Mine is already starting to act up. I need to play with it to engage the engine now. Hope it lasts till after our Thanksgiving RV trip to the beach.
Maybe just a few times. LOL :)

Chief409

All air filter parts will arrive, and be installed in time for the weekend bash sessions!

1/2 gallon left in the first 2 gallon can of gas, I picked up some Maxima Castor 927 2 cycle oil while I was at the motorcycle shop.

alfred e numan

Chief409 said:
When I used a K&N air filter on the Bronco I checked it constantly on off-road weekends. It would make a whole weekend of running, but the Bronco doesn't throw dirt at the exposed air cleaner like a DR does. Which is why I use Outerwears, some added protection.Stopped by the motorcycle shop on the way home and picked up a bottle of FFT filter oil and can of FAB1 spray filter oil. (Thanks Alfred) Want to try both to see which I like better. Been using the filter oil I use with the nitro trucks. The 2 DT1 filters and the Outerwears filter cover for them were waiting in the mail. LargeScaleRC shipped the velocity stack, gasket and 2 M5X55 screws this morning. I hope that package arrives by Friday.

yea, i know waters hard to come by in the desert, when my starter loads up with dust, i remove the 4 bolts - put it under the tap in the bath tub, turn the water wide open and start pulling the starter- the dirt just pours out- it will dry real quick in the desert air- just set it on the dash board of the r-v for a few hours.- sun will dry it.

Chief409

alfred e numan said:
yea, i know waters hard to come by in the desert, when my starter loads up with dust, i remove the 4 bolts - put it under the tap in the bath tub, turn the water wide open and start pulling the starter- the dirt just pours out- it will dry real quick in the desert air- just set it on the dash board of the r-v for a few hours.- sun will dry it.
Thanks, hope it works. I'm worried the plastic pawl is worn out that engages the crankshaft. I did a TON of pulling once until I discovered you CAN fill the air filter enough to choke the engine after a tank and one half running in the dust out back. Even with Outerwears. I went past blisters to holes in my fingers pulling on the darn thing. Part of the learning process, I'd never run anything in that kind of dust.

G

I don't like to rebuild them either. Throw it away and start with a fresh unit! :)

Chief409

RCDAD said:
I don't like to rebuild them either. Throw it away and start with a fresh unit! :)
HA! Can't resist!

Check the YouTube video from Killer RC.

No spring, rope, plastic prawl and...

I think a DeWalt 12V drill motor will fit in my Large Frame Shoulder Rig!

Chief409

The IHP Tall velocity stack, screws and gasket just arrived. Need to finish up some work and I'll put everything on the DR.

Off the bat I noticed this is a heavy duty setup. Not much chance of a filter gapping on a hard run, and it should be easier to put the Outerwears on correctly, no give like the base of the stock filter has. Clamp a DT1 filter in place on the velocity stack grooves and it isn't going anywhere!

alfred e numan

yup, thats why I use them! wanna quit struggling with starting? - get a small cheap salene noze spray bottle @ wal-mart- $1.49- empty it- dry it out- put pre-mix in it- have a 5/16 screwdriver on hand- squirt a bit of misted gas down the intake- screw the filter on- off ya go. not liquid fuel- tip the bottle up to just put a mist down the hole- thats all it takes where you are located- warmer than Oregon. when you get it down- 1st pull- every time. why struggle?

Chief409

Just now starting to get cooler weather here, we're at 2500', and at night, especially if there is no clouds, it gets cool quickly after sunset. Last weekend was the first time I needed the choke!

Weather service issued this not long ago.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HANFORD HAS ISSUED A FREEZE

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH

SUNDAY MORNING FOR THE KERN COUNTY DESERTS.

* TEMPERATURES: FALLING TO 22 TO 28 DEGREES IN THE COLDEST

LOCATIONS. DURATIONS BELOW 32 DEGREES OF 7 TO 10 HOURS...WITH 3

TO 5 HOURS AT OR BELOW 28 DEGREES.

* TIMING: TEMPERATURES WILL FALL BELOW 32 DEGREES BY MIDNIGHT WITH

THE COLDEST TEMPERATURES AFTER 3 AM SUNDAY MORNING. TEMPERATURES

COULD BE EQUALLY AS COLD MONDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: THE OPEN DESERT...INCLUDING AREAS AROUND

ROSAMOND...CALIFORNIA CITY...EDWARDS AFB...MOJAVE AND RIDGECREST.

Darn, summer with a low of 80 degrees to this in a month. Gotta love living in the High Desert!

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts