• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

HPI Tires

Bulldogger

Okay switching the Rally stock tires to HPI Tarmac tires yields a 4 mph increase at top end. Maybe more, car was last run and tuned in 35-40* weather today was 50 and windy. Car was running rich though and I didn't bring any tools:(. Prior top speed on the Rally was 36 mph with Jetpro and 990 car, running 31-29-26-24. Next run will be 35-25-26-24.

Phill

Bulldogger said:
Okay switching the Rally stock tires to HPI Tarmac tires yields a 4 mph increase at top end. Maybe more, car was last run and tuned in 35-40* weather today was 50 and windy. Car was running rich though and I didn't bring any tools:(. Prior top speed on the Rally was 36 mph with Jetpro and 990 car, running 31-29-26-24. Next run will be 35-25-26-24.
Keep an eye on your clutch.

Mine didn't like 35/25 when I tried it.

Bulldogger

Phil,

Which buggy were you running? Also you switched to belt drive was there any gain in top end vs metal gears? The belt drive you bought was the one that only came with the two pulleys the belt and idler correct? It uses our gear plate.

Bulldogger

It seems the belt drives have better take off and less top end for the 1:1 ratio, how many teeth or belt cogs did he use? The gears were 29 start 24 end, did he split it 27/27 ??

Phill

Bulldogger said:
Phil,Which buggy were you running? Also you switched to belt drive was there any gain in top end vs metal gears? The belt drive you bought was the one that only came with the two pulleys the belt and idler correct? It uses our gear plate.
Mine is a Dune Runner

I find top end great as it seems to allow the motor to rev higher.

The belt drive from Stern RC in Germany is available with different ratios.

Check him out on ebay and you may be able to get the pulleys seperately.

Yep it uses stock plate.

chrisscott961

If you buy the new set up you are able to change pulley but I have 1st Gen and you can't interchange the pulley I also suggest to change the gear plate to aluminum.

Bulldogger

chrisscott961 said:
If you buy the new set up you are able to change pulley but I have 1st Gen and you can't interchange the pulley I also suggest to change the gear plate to aluminum.
I have the aluminum gear plate, as far as the belt drive goes, I need to know what size pulley he is using to determine what top speed will be. The ratio of 1:1 and 1: 0.8 really don't mean that much unless to know the outside diameter of the pulley and how that compares to say the 29 or 31 gear.

Ice_2k

The ratio of 1 is all you need to know. The 29-31-26-24 gears on the DuneRunner for instance come up to 0.987 ratio ((31/29) * (24/26)). So moving to a ratio of 1 means more torque but less top speed. So top speed when moving from 0.987 to 1 will decrease by 1.3% (e.g. 40mph becomes ~39.5mph)

Bulldogger

Ice_2k said:
The ratio of 1 is all you need to know. The 29-31-26-24 gears on the DuneRunner for instance come up to 0.987 ratio ((31/29) * (24/26)). So moving to a ratio of 1 means more torque but less top speed. So top speed when moving from 0.987 to 1 will decrease by 1.3% (e.g. 40mph becomes ~39.5mph)
That's not totally correct, because it is only two pulleys the diameter / circumference or the pulleys play a part. I can use two pulleys the size of the 25T size gear or say two the size of the 35t gear. Most people with the belt drive seem to have better acceleration and less top end....This is why a two speed tranny would be a better way too bad someone doesn't start making them again that aren't problematic

Ice_2k

I don't see how the size of the pulleys matter if you're using equal size pulleys, you'll still be translating 1 engine rpm to 1 pinion rpm. The only thing I can think of is bigger pulleys -> higher rotational mass.

The better acceleration people are getting is most likely related to the decreased friction between gears and the lower rotational mass.

Bulldogger

Ice_2k said:
I don't see how the size of the pulleys matter if you're using equal size pulleys, you'll still be translating 1 engine rpm to 1 pinion rpm. The only thing I can think of is bigger pulleys -> higher rotational mass.The better acceleration people are getting is most likely related to the decreased friction between gears and the lower rotational mass.
Think about it like tire size, stock tire on the rally ran 36mph and HPI tires which were only a little taller add 4 mph, because they are covering more distance per revolution. If the engine turns 17,000 rpm a larger pulley covers more distance per rotation then a smaller one. Without knowing the actual size he uses I can't determine if it will be better or worse

Ice_2k

I'm pretty sure that's not correct. In the case of a tire, the size matters because one rotation of a tire covers more distance for a larger radius (2 * PI * R to be precise) because the tire is the one actually translating rotation to distance. In the case of pulleys in a belt drive, all they need to is translate the engine's RPM in pinion RPM. All that matters is the difference in size between the two pulleys.

Bulldogger

Ice_2k said:
I'm pretty sure that's not correct. In the case of a tire, the size matters because one rotation of a tire covers more distance for a larger radius (2 * PI * R to be precise) because the tire is the one actually translating rotation to distance. In the case of pulleys in a belt drive, all they need to is translate the engine's RPM in pinion RPM. All that matters is the difference in size between the two pulleys.
Being the pulleys are the same size, you don't think the size will matter then? so any two pulleys of the same size will work, and not effect performance?

Ice_2k

HPI Tires

They will affect performance in that bigger pulleys increase rotational mass and so eat some of the engine's power. But they won't offer different speeds at the same engine rpm.

Bulldogger

Ice_2k said:
They will affect performance in that bigger pulleys increase rotational mass and so eat some of the engine's power. But they won't offer different speeds at the same engine rpm.
Well the rotational speed of a pulley is faster at its outside point then in at its center., I would think that the pulley size he uses will have an effect on overall top speed and performance based on speed with in a diameter. Two smaller pulleys I think would yield less top end then two larger ones both being 1:1 ratio

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.