• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Homoto, there is a difference.

forist

Contributor
I just smoked the C gear it was getting bad all gone now. The A plastic 25 tooth is still holding good 2 1/2 tanks on it now. Replaced the C with a plastic one to,will run it tomorrow and see how it holds up.

csp1971

Contributor
I'll get out the file on one. If it files easily, should I harden them the same way the diff cups are done? Or am I just screwed?

forist

Contributor
I would Google it and see what temp to heat them to. I seen somewhere it was 900F, not sure tho.

csp1971

Contributor
mooman007uk said:
you want to go way higher to about 1500F, or cherry red, then quench them in engine oil, that should harden them up pretty good.
I was able to file them quite easily.

What the hell kind of torch do I need for 1500 degrees?

Do these steps sound correct?

Step1

Heat the steel using a torch or a furnace with bellows. Continue until the steel glows red-hot. Work in a well-ventilated area and wear protective clothing, heavy gloves and eye protection.

Step 2

Pick up the red-hot steel with your tongs and immediately immerse it into the motor oil. Allow the steel to remain in the oil for approximately 30 to 60 seconds.

Step 3

Remove the steel from the oil and wash the item using dish soap and water. Be careful not to drop or strike your steel, as it will be brittle at this stage (much like glass), and could shatter.

Step 4

Reheat the now-clean steel until it is blue-hot. Blue is the color steel turns just before it becomes red-hot.

Step 5

Pick up the blue-hot steel with your tongs and immediately immerse it in a vat of room-temperature water. Allow the steel to cool in the water.

Your steel is now case-hardened. The outside layer of steel will be at least 40 percent harder than when you started, and your steel will be malleable, rather than brittle like glass.

Last edited by a moderator:

rc-driver

do you think if I could add oil to the gears and totally seal the gears with the gear cover without venting hole ? the gear could be more durable. :rolleyes:

kryptonite

rc-driver said:
do you think if I could add oil to the gears and totally seal the gears with the gear cover without venting hole ? the gear could be more durable. :rolleyes:
you really shouldnt have to do that. that will also couse a good amount of resistance and the mess you would have would be.. well, just a mess. after nicly venting the gear cover my plastics are fine and with the metal gears you don't need to run a cover

rc-driver

:rolleyes:

kryptonite said:
you really shouldnt have to do that. that will also couse a good amount of resistance and the mess you would have would be.. well, just a mess. after nicly venting the gear cover my plastics are fine and with the metal gears you don't need to run a cover
if the oiled matel gear sealed by a gear cover without holes vented . that would be better for durability of the metal gears. is it ? :rolleyes: the metal gears will not be melted by the heat or the dirt will not ruined the metal gears with cover on :confused:

rc-driver

:rolleyes:

kryptonite said:
is your metal gear from himoto. is your metal gear durable ? someone said it wore out very quickly.

forist

Contributor
I received my new steel gears from DDM the MT set. So much better than the other ones these are very nicely hardened. One tank on them so far and no ware, and i left the gear cover off as well. Ill see how it goes like that looks relay good so far I am happy with this set.

rc-driver

forist said:
I received my new steel gears from DDM the MT set. So much better than the other ones these are very nicely hardened. One tank on them so far and no ware, and i left the gear cover off as well. Ill see how it goes like that looks relay good so far I am happy with this set.
good to see that , are they made by himoto ? what is the item # on DDM ?

rc-driver

forist said:
good to see that , are they made by himoto ? what is the item # on DDM ? :)

DemonRC

I've been running the gears from Rampage Hopups without a cover in gravel and sand and there are still in perfect condition. Just my $.00002 cents.

max 1

So Some Of U Are Runnig With Out Gear Covers With No Problems Even In The Grass.

kryptonite

max 1 said:
So Some Of U Are Runnig With Out Gear Covers With No Problems Even In The Grass.
i have metal gears on my MT. no cover. my TTruggy runs a half cover and my MT on-road runs plastic with no cover. (grass/sand/rocks/mud)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts