• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Homoto, there is a difference.

Clubin

Banned
Well, this is what I found. I ordered another set of 29/31 gears, and they are physically different, they say HT on them the old ones say Homoto. The newest ones I recieved are beefier and I can not touch them with a file, they are HARD. The mesh is nice and tight. I have a feeling these will last. Which ones do you guys have?

New on the left. Note the writing on the gears is different so they are identifyable.

Himotogears014.jpg

Himotogears016.jpg

New gears installed on my MT.

Himotogears017.jpg

DemonRC

I guess you could always throw em in a pile of coals and quench em to use for backups.

Z

ZielkeRacing

Mine say Himoto on them also, took over a tank to get them smooth and not showing any wear at all. The new ones are most likey better look like.

Clubin

Banned
Well, I just got back from bashing, and I need another gear, the 31 is wrecked, and the 29 is perfect. Dammit, am I too hard on my stuff? lol

The gears are installed on my Dune Runner. I am running 31a/29b. Strange thing is the 29 is prefect. Everything is running straight and true. I have no thought why, other than their hardening process and quality controll had some to be desired.

387mudslinger

Contributor
ok himoto or mcd gears i have just got my 29/31s mcd and havejust seen this thread.how makes the best set's fg,mcd,himoto, this is my first set ? can;t you heat them up with a sutty black flame from a torch like you do to softin alum or tin when you are hand working it? just a thout it may help ,may not.

Clubin

Banned
I originally had the aluminum gear carrier on my MT when the first set got eaten, then I installed the plastic "upgraded" gear carrier. I test fit the new gears on my MT they looked good. I installed the New gears on my Dune Runner, I haven't done anything to it other than install the engine and a few other repairs. The A gear is over half way worn through the teeth. I don't think it is a alignment issue. This happened on a totally different rig this time. Scott is getting me another 31 tooth steel gear. the 29 is perfect. That is what makes me think it is a hardening issue. I have ran MCD's with steel gears and never had a problem. Rob's steel 25's are holding up just fine, no sign of wear.

Clubin

Banned
mooman007uk said:
I just ran a tank mostly wot on ashalt and grass with a bit of a dust bowl for donuts, pretty harsh engine test this time out and my gears are perfect still...more than can be said for my motor after putting it thru it's paces:(...seized solid....was running great, did a plug chop, tan brown...having fun for 30mins and then instant stoppage from full throttle.....got home pulled the plug again and still good so i guess the combo of +30C in the sun + about 30mins of full throttle testing:rolleyes: + cooling shroud packed full of dry grass and you end up with a solid top end...seized at the bottom of the stroke ...I'll throw on my MT ported 28.5 top end and bench the reed for now, it's been cursed in the tt..never gave me a problem in my old fgbaja
You are to hard on your engine, and I am to hard on my gears. Sucks that your engine puked.

Z

ZielkeRacing

mooman007uk said:
I just ran a tank mostly wot on ashalt and grass with a bit of a dust bowl for donuts, pretty harsh engine test this time out and my gears are perfect still...more than can be said for my motor after putting it thru it's paces:(...seized solid....was running great, did a plug chop, tan brown...having fun for 30mins and then instant stoppage from full throttle.....got home pulled the plug again and still good so i guess the combo of +30C in the sun + about 30mins of full throttle testing:rolleyes: + cooling shroud packed full of dry grass and you end up with a solid top end...seized at the bottom of the stroke ...I'll throw on my MT ported 28.5 top end and bench the reed for now, it's been cursed in the tt..never gave me a problem in my old fgbaja
Did you like your old FG Baja? Its in the back of my mind? Let me know your honst opinion. i think they look cool but reliability?

max 1

My Gears A,c Did The Same Thing Clubins Did , But B,d Looked Fine .a 1/4 Of C Was Gone.its Like Some Wear Harden ,tom Took Picturs And Sent Them In To See What They Think Of Them.

Clubin

Banned
max 1 said:
My Gears A,c Did The Same Thing Clubins Did , But B,d Looked Fine .a 1/4 Of C Was Gone.its Like Some Wear Harden ,tom Took Picturs And Sent Them In To See What They Think Of Them.
I sent them pictures too, they still say there is nothing wrong. Just mine, they haven't had any other complaints, or concerns. Maybe with him being a manufacturer they might step up? He obviously sold afew sets, if they are going to be coming back like mine that will end up costing him some money.

Sucram

Clubin said:
I sent them pictures too, they still say there is nothing wrong. Just mine, they haven't had any other complaints, or concerns. Maybe with him being a manufacturer they might step up? He obviously sold afew sets, if they are going to be coming back like mine that will end up costing him some money.
Thats bullshit.

The stock gears don't mesh as close as what would be considered normal. Must be the tooth combo on the MT...

Have you had better luck with the new set?

Clubin

Banned
I ran one tank through real easy, I relubed the gears at half tank with HPI HD grease. Maybe tomorrow I will take it out and see if they last.

I can't imagine anything staying on those gears spinning at 15k+ the only thing that I have found that will stay on it dry graphite spray. But that wears off too.

Clubin

Banned
forist said:
I sent a email to DDM about my gear set hope they do something about it. 60$ for 3 tanks that's costly.
They will have a good answer for you, they have never let me down.

I am curious to hear their reply. Homoto must have gotten a few complaints by now.

forist

Contributor
I received a response for DDM they said they would replace them for me. That is cool cuz i did not want to spend another 60$ just to see if they would do the same thing. this time i will check for hardness before i run them and hit them with my torch if not.

csp1971

Contributor
I haven't put my gears on yet. I just melted my first gears tonight running through 5 inch tall grass.

How do I tell if they are hardened or not?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts