• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Highway Robbery? The cost of bodies for 5th scale

Gee

Contributor
Is it just me or does it seem like we're bending over when it comes to the cost of bodies for the large scale rcs. I don't want to understand why the manufacturing cost make a 1/5th scale body cost 3 - 4 and even 5 times that of a 1/8th scale body of the same design. I just cracked the front of the rampage MT front body all up and that got me looking closer at different bodies and holy crap they have a gold mine going on here. Have you seen the prices for a painted body for the 5T out there? We all jump into the 5th scale knowing the price difference and accept that. I saw the prices of the 5T bodies when they came out and that's when I decided I wouldn't be getting a 5T. I got 200 in a shopping cart right now that is worth the 3.75+ HP but take all that our of the cart and just put a body in there. Now that is hard to swollow. Maybe they just want us bent over because we are rarely bending over fixing the toughter 5th scale rc. lol Those 200 dollar 5T bodies had better be pretty dam tough for that kind of money. If they aren't then I am just going to have to give the money to someone else and have them order another one for me. Cuz I won't buy one again.

I am feeling better now. On the otherside the the proline desert rat body I have has been beat like a red headed step-child and it's still holding it shape. I found the clear rampage bodies on sale for 45 but the stock rampage bodies are not the toughest bodies I've seen so far. So now do I spend the 45+shipping for another rampage or go with the Desert Rat for 120+ shipping. I put a Desert Rat for the Slash on my Savage XL a long time ago and it looked pretty damn tough to me. Here's the thread with some picture of it. Gave the Savage XL a whole different look.

http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73809

I was going to go that route with the MT as soon as the second mortgage loan is approved. ......

Gee

Contributor
215!!!! I didn't see that or I would had more to bitch about earlier... lol

PISTOL PETE

Does Anyone Know If The Pre Painted Mt Bodys Are Any Stronger Than The Clear One? I Noticed That With My Tmaxx The Stock Pre Paint Bodys Can Take A Major Beating But The Clears Always Break. Im Wondering If The Ramp Bodys Are The Same Way Or Not. My Clear Mt Body Cracked Once Cause I Looked At It Too Hard

hamster huey

Ive wondered myself if price is artificially jacked up or they really cost alot to manufacture. I gues either way it doesn't matter b/c Im not paying that much for a body! The redcat bodies may seem weak but that forces redcat drivers to be creative and customize.

We have a few options:

Custom shaped steel cage with or w/o lexan panels

Custom shaped nylon cage with or w/o lexan panels

Stock cage w/risers for strenght

Stock buggy body open or closed top (hold up quite well)

Wrapping a destroyed body for strenght: http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=3386

Cookie cutter body from proline or fg etc.

countrygnome

PISTOL PETE said:
Does Anyone Know If The Pre Painted Mt Bodys Are Any Stronger Than The Clear One? I Noticed That With My Tmaxx The Stock Pre Paint Bodys Can Take A Major Beating But The Clears Always Break. Im Wondering If The Ramp Bodys Are The Same Way Or Not. My Clear Mt Body Cracked Once Cause I Looked At It Too Hard
Does anyone know the answer to this, i was gonna buy one them bodies off ebay also, the way i drive, i cant see blowing 150-200 bucks on a body yet

Evildomain

Contributor
I bought the Pro-line body for $60 I think, then painted it...You find them On Fleabay every so often. They are quite strong and durable compared to stock. Keep what you have for now until you get more comfortable driving these type of trucks...

hamster huey

countrygnome said:
Does anyone know the answer to this, i was gonna buy one them bodies off ebay also, the way i drive, i cant see blowing 150-200 bucks on a body yet
IMO the strenght of painted vs. unpainted rampage bodies is the same.

Ive broken/shattered HPI and Proline bodies as well but they seem like they took the beating longer before they broke.

Also Ive noticed temps under 60 degrees really speed up the cracking.

Obeast44

Banned
Theres a simple way to make the bodies last a lot longer.....don't crash!!! Sorry I couldnt resist. :D

In all fairness I agree the bodies are insanely expensive imo.

pipeous

I have been dabbling in vac forming a bit and have learned some things

1. (no prejudice just facts I have learned)... most Chinese mfg don't use lexan. Lexan is a different process to vac form. It holds moisture and you have to preheat/dry the lexan before vac forming. This added step is cost reflective.

2. you have to make molds to vac form. I was thinking it would be cool to make 5th bodies until I realized I would have to build a shed in my back yard to hold a few molds. They take up a ton of space.

3. as far as the commercial market, we as 5th scalers are the small piece of the pie. There are 20 slashes to every 5th scale out there (picking a number out of the air but you get what I mean). so stocking this stuff has a slower turnaround. Slow turnaround means stocking big parts for longer, which means warehousing space.. costs etc

it's all relative. if 5th scale was mainstream it'd be different, but it isn't. it's getting better. I'm just glad I can replace individual sections of the semi in the avatar cuz it's about $350 to buy a semi body

rpking

Has anyone tried to use fiberglass resin on the inside of the bodies to make them stronger? Like you would do for body work on a real car? It might add a few pounds but it might be worth it, just wondering....

Heavy Chevy

rpking said:
Has anyone tried to use fiberglass resin on the inside of the bodies to make them stronger? Like you would do for body work on a real car? It might add a few pounds but it might be worth it, just wondering....
Seems like a great idea! Do it and let use know ;)

pipeous

I can't post what I have spent on the truck since inception either or the taxman will be knocking on the door. it's my obsession piece. very little plastic on it (I have learned aluminum arms plastic ends. I have a set of alloy ends I just took off... try keeping them tight. nothing works unless you have room for a jam nut)

I will say though that there will be 5th scale bodies down the road coming up. I was speaking to the owner of a local rc mfg about it, and he has access to large vac formers. He makes cnc machines and other high end electronics, rc stuff is just something we work on together. He can make the molds carving wood and knows that end well. I'll have to go back and see him about it. He's waiting for me to call back, I have to come up with a name for the new kill switch...

billm67

The prices are jacked sky high! I saw a 23cc piston in an HPI bag at the LHS and the price on it was $53.99.

dale_gribble

RampageHopUps said:
Proline just announced they are getting out of the 5th scale body market. Not enough sales.
Proline turned their back on anything but the HPI. I think they could have done a universal body for a lot of the 1/5 scales with shorter wheelbases.

I think if they could have gotten costs to $50-$75, they would have had enough demand to make up for their costs in volume.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts