• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

helpful hint

alfred e numan

I never use a piston stopper or even a nylon rope to lock up the engines to install or uninstall the flywheel nut. I use a steel oil filter strap wrench around the outer diameter of the flywheel. The coil must be removed to do this. If any other people have tricks for this hobby - feel free to post them.

jeffp83

I use a GBE clutch stopper tool, works well.

G

I've looked into those. I like the idea.

Question for ya..... How tight is it in the clutch case? Is it difficult to get back out if your not removing the clutch or after installing the clutch?

jeffp83

It's a semi loose fit in the stock CY clutch housings, so it comes out quite easily. The turtle billet clutch housings have to be modified with a dremel for it to fit in.

G

Good to know.

Thanks

alfred e numan

jeffp83 said:
I use a GBE clutch stopper tool, works well.
sayy- thats a good looking tool. Had no idea it was sold. On some clutch shoes, there are 2 drilled holes on each shoe- lighter weight. I put bolts tru these holes, use a long thin punch to wedge aganst the bolts as i loosen-tighten the clutch shoe bolts.- I need to come up with something better than mid size channel locks to tighten- break loose the center bolt.

blak__jak

what i want to know is what is the big deal about using a piston stop anyways. i've never had a problem getting the flywheel off. of course i can say what do i know i've only had to change one and only taken two others off to install esp head kits. is there a problem with excess pressure on the top of the piston in some cases or is there some other issue that i'm not aware of?

jeffp83

blak__jak said:
what i want to know is what is the big deal about using a piston stop anyways. i've never had a problem getting the flywheel off. of course i can say what do i know i've only had to change one and only taken two others off to install esp head kits. is there a problem with excess pressure on the top of the piston in some cases or is there some other issue that i'm not aware of?
I don't think there's anything wrong with using a piston stopper, I have one and have used it before. I just use this clutch stopper tool now because it's even easier to use.

G

It helps when removing the clutch and or clutch plate. Trying to remove bolts on a spinning motor is not fun. It's liking having a third hand to keep the crank from turning. As long as you turn the motor slowly till the piston meets the stopper you will be fine. You don't want to spin it with a power driver and let it slap the stopper. That could be problematic.

G

These are my most used tools. Worth their weight in gold to me. They were not too expensive as they are just HF units. The mini cordless drill and mini cordless impact driver are timesavers. Especially the mini impact driver.

-

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts