• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Help Please!

ddepedro.45

Hey guys,

I just got my rampage mt in the mail yesterday, Its amazing how big this thing is. I owned a baja 5b years ago and I don't remeber it being nearly as big. Anyway, I put fresh gas with castor 927 oil. It started on the first pull, Drove it around for maybe 10 min on 1/3 throttle. Then it started bogging and died. Now it will not start, I noticed i Have to prime the bulb a good 20 times before any fuel gets in it. Then sometimes when I let go of the prime the fuel sucks out of the bulb. IF i finally do get it started it will only stay idling if the choke is halfway down. also I forgot to put oil on the filter but I only ran it on pavement for about 10 min. Any suggestions to get her going? I ordered a new airfilter, A ngk plug, and a ddm pipe. Im hoping those will solve some kinda issue. I also want a new carb, is the walbro 990 good for the 32cc stock motor?

Thanks

phreerider

Fuel line maybe clogged, filter maybe clogged, kink in line. Vent the tank!

Bulb should fill easily, lines might be switched , return is on top and pickup below. Pickup should have the filter

phreerider

All good with the other stuff . 990! Yes . Keep extra plugs handy

ddepedro.45

phreerider said:
Fuel line maybe clogged, filter maybe clogged, kink in line. Vent the tank!Bulb should fill easily, lines might be switched , return is on top and pickup below. Pickup should have the filter
Im a noob lol What do you mean by "Vent the tank"?

Thanks

ddepedro.45

Also the 2 lines going in the tank are ziptied together from factory right where they go into tank, Could the tie be restricting fuel flow? Should I cut the ziptie?

BertR

If it will suck gas back out of the bulb your line is not kink...my guess is your tank is in need of a vent and what that means is the hole in the cap is not letting air in to replace fuel displacement..

phreerider

tank vent on cap(in pic), loosen your cap to test , work with a 1/2 tank of fuel it will make things more apparent.

check pick up line(one with the filter) and the return line make sure its actually moving fuel when you pump bulb.

ddepedro.45

I will try taking the cap off when I get home and see if that helps, As far as the two lines coming from the tank, One goes to the bulb, the other goes to the front of the carb somewhere, But i CAnnot find a fuel filter on either line.

ddepedro.45

And just to clarify, You said to check to ensure they are moving fuel. Is there an easy way to do this? the lines are black so I cannot see the fuel inside them. Sorry for the dumb question. But I am completely new to this. I guess I shouldve stuck with electrics lol

ika

I had same problem and it was tank cap vent hole was clogged.

Next time you see same bogging, just release cap.

I enlarged hole on tank cap little and it solved problem.

phreerider

Filter is in tank on the end of pick up line (clunk style) , the line from the bottom of the carb, the line at the bulb is the return line . IF you can see the end of the return line gas will come out as u pump bulb . Thats with less than half tank . Typically if u bubbles from the clunk they are backwards and the shorter return is picking up fuel as long as it can

RCDad1977

Rubber pieces on gas cap

The redcat tech team suggested that I take out the inner most rubber piece. It didn't end up being the problem in my case, but that's what they had me do. If it is a venting problem, you will notice that there is pressure released when you loosen the cap. On the under side of the cap, there will be 2 rubber pieces. Redcat said to remove the innermost one (one closest to the cap, not tank) and make sure you can see the hole in cap. You can also drill a slightly larger hole, but you do want a seal. No cap might also prevent gas from being taken up as well, as I understand it because the fuel is being pushed through the line as well as sucked up into the line (might be off about that, but that's what I was told).

In my case (with a brand new dunerunner last month), same symptoms, there was too much compression in the piston chamber. I had never even heard of that, but the guy at my hobby shop simply had me put 2 more washers on the spark plug. Worked like a miracle. Runs for 45 minutes on a tank now, whereas would bog down and die out after 5 minutes every time prior to the washers. And more annoyingly, it would not restart for hours after it died. The pull start would be stiff as heck - I thought it was flooded - but turns out that the back pressure from the high compression was preventing fuel from making it to the piston (bizarre, right?). Then the piston would expand and until it cooled and shrunk back, it would be impossible to start.

I totally did not think it would work, but I took the washers off and put them on again, and the results are reproducible. Truck also seems faster with the washers, so maybe there's a tiny extra cc now or something from the extra space... lol.

Anyway, you will get it going. I was at my wits end, then a simple solution made it all better.

ddepedro.45

Wow that is bizarre, I'm glad you got it going. I drilled a larger hole in the cap. Worked like a charm!

hankwedge

ika said:
I had same problem and it was tank cap vent hole was clogged.Next time you see same bogging, just release cap.

I enlarged hole on tank cap little and it solved problem.
Thanks

Just did that and one pull it started!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts