• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Heli pilots

alfred e numan

Aircraft

I used to live in Ajo,Az in the winter months, The fighter pilots flew a pattern around the outskirts of town, I would load the dog in the truck and drive down to the well- at that point the pilots would be turning so sharp that there wings were vertical - The pilots would turn there heads for a split second and wave! About the height of 2 telephone poles i guess, On cloudy days the exhaust would reflect - sometimes cracking The new style stucco - and drywall on homes- Made side $$ repairing these homes- Most snowbirds did not like this at all-- I really got a kick out of it- Riding dirtbike there, I saw helis that were almost noiseless- small stealth fighters at night- al kinds of things- I was in Ajo during the Phoenix lights on the 13th of march- saw things that nite too- not magnesium flares either-- One winter i will return i hope!

cordy

The bigger the heli the easyer it is to fly. However very expensive to repair in the event you crash.You will crash. Befor you spend lots of money,do yourself a favor and invest in a flight simulator. I use phoneix,all the upgrades are free,53 different heli`s to fly. Also check out www.helifreak.com. All the info you will ever need. Good luck! Remember if you think the 1/5th`s are a money pit,the heli`s are worse. Have fun!

G

Rob,

The vid link did not work.

G

Well for some reason the iPad won't run it. Watched it on the laptop. That's some awesome 3D flying. Cool helis. Was that a turbine someone was flying? Those are like $10k. :eek:

DustyR3825

Banned
Before I got into RC Cars I was into heli's. A 450 size it to big in my opinion to start on. I would personally start with a Blade SR120 or a Blade MSR. They are fixed pitch heli's (4 channel) compared to a collective pitch (6 channel). Then you won't have a lot of money invested if you don't like it. If your must have a 450 size go with a Blade 450. What is great about them is they come with a DX6i TX. Also a popular 450 size is an Align Trex 450. Good luck and if you have questions let me know... :D

DustyR3825

Banned
+1 in what Cordy said in regards to getting a flight Simulator. I used the phoenix also. Cost $130 bucks but it is cheaper than a bad crash on a 450 size. LOL

G

Thanks! I want the new Xcell Whiplash. Looks like a lot went into the design. I also might get a Trex 500 to train on since there is not a sim. update yet for the Whiplash yet. :)

Spoiled Toys

I learned on a T-rex 450 and I used the Great Planes Sim. As I said in a different post all I did was make sure I could hover nose in, and tail in. Then I worked on doing figure 8's. Once I could do those I took my heli outside on a calm day and flew it with no problems.

It only took me about 3 flights to wreck it though because I started getting cocky.

Anyway that is just my two cents.

PISTOL PETE

i fly, im not a 3d pilot though. i have had a few, and wrecked a few ccp helis. start indoors with a small with a coaxial like a blade mcx, then a fixed pitch like a blade msr, then a bigger fixed pitch, then outdoors. i have decided for me i am going to stick with the cx and fp they are much easyer and enjoyable to fly because they are so easy and i just cannot afford the cost of the more expensive ccp crashes. i also own a walkera lama 400d, its big for a cx and its alot of fun if its calm outside. if you do decide to go the 3d route,the bigger the better as far as stability goes. flight simulators are an important step but will never give you the real feel of flying.

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyR3825

Banned
PISTOL PETE said:
i fly, im not a 3d pilot though. i have had a few, and wrecked a few ccp helis. start indoors with a small with a coaxial like a blade mcx, then a fixed pitch like a blade msr, then a bigger fixed pitch, then outdoors. i have decided for me i am going to stick with the cx and fp they are much easyer and enjoyable to fly because they are so easy and i just cannot afford the cost of the more expensive ccp crashes. i also own a walkera lama 400d, its big for a cx and its alot of fun if its calm outside. if you do decide to go the 3d route,the bigger the better as far as stability goes. flight simulators are an important step but will never give you the real feel of flying.
I agree completely! I have a NIB RTF Blade MCX2 collecting dust. I need to sell it! The Blade MSR is a Crazy Micro Heli! That little turd straight hauls balls!!

G

Thanks guys for all the advise. I'm a over the top kinda person. I always want the biggest baddest I can find, even if I suck at it. Lol. I will start on a simulator. Then take some classes. I found a couple of people that will train and teach me how to properly set up a heli. They will even help you build your kit if you need the help. I have figured out it is a slow learning curve. This is obvious by the number of never flown helis on craigs list.

cordy

Congrats rc dad. You did the right thing with the simulator,the best thing about the simulator is the reset button! When you cant sleep at night,or if the weather is bad in your area you sit down and fly! Good luck and have fun you new whirly bird!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts