• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Head Gaskets

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
I am totally baffled now...I broke down the Dunerunner engine just a few minutes ago, hoping the gasket in it would be solid enough to make a good pattern from. When I got the head off, I find no gaske at all... there was some silverish gunk in a few spots, but nothing else.

So, I will still make a gasket for it, but what are they using at the HY factory? Is this silver gunk (that looks like pipe dope) their gasket material? Was it at one time solid and mine dissolved like sugar in coffee? Anybody?

DSC_0525.jpg
Looks like they used one of those lame graphite gaskets. They're prone to blowouts.

Deluge

alfred e numan said:
Thing is, there are no dowels to hold these heads in place. Once the bolts come loose the head starts shifting around the gasket gets sanded down to nothing.- Pay close attention to your intake joe- its on the verge of leaking- intake manafold to head area. You may want to look at the heavy paper on a spiral notebook for gasket materal---it will squish less than the poster paper. Man, it was 99 degrees in Portland yesterday.- Comeing up the interstate east bound on I84- colunbia gorge way into the night, there were dozens of desert big horn sheep crossing the interstate to get to the columbia river for water and green food- deer too. Lucked out and still have the grill and windshield intact.
This would be good, or as good as it could get without having a proper cylinder gasket.

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
Now that this thing took it's sweet time uploading, here is the head gasket I made... I figured a pretty orange would show if/where something leaks through :D DSC_0528.jpg

I have already re-installed the head.
Awesome job!

TerraKill

Deluge said:
Looks like they used one of those lame graphite gaskets. They're prone to blowouts.
i don't think its a graphite one as you would see the steel incert left behind.

are graphite gaskets no good?

ive been reading that there the best to use for 2bolt heads and they make the best seal?

or is what i been reading alod of nonsence just to sell them? :rolleyes:

(ive never used one or know any1 whos used one so i cant really say anything)

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
So, I turn on the DR, Wake up the killer bee, flip the choke, give her 2 pulls and there is that amazing pop I needed to hear.So, flip the choke lever up and give her another pull and VRRRRROOOOOMMMM!!!!!

Just as I started to smile from ear to ear, I heard MMMOOOOORRRRRV (the engine stopping).

So, it did not lock up, it did not sputter or anything, it was just as if I used the red button and killed it.

Choked it again, it popped, started it again, same thing. Every time.

Ideas? I want to prove my $0.07 gasket works :D
Try snugging the cylinder bolts up a little more.

Guantanamo Joe

our auto store does not have gasket material... as a matter of fact, the guy laughed at me when I asked... They never have anything.

I am going to look around and find something to re-do those gaskets, but I have to get other projects going today and by my next days off I should have in my mod kit and new gaskets anyway.

Deluge

TerraKill said:
i don't think its a graphite one as you would see the steel incert left behind.are graphite gaskets no good?

ive been reading that there the best to use for 2bolt heads and they make the best seal?

or is what i been reading alod of nonsence just to sell them? :rolleyes:

(ive never used one or know any1 whos used one so i cant really say anything)
Or it's the CY style gasket with the laminated middle. Which also suck. It does look like there's some graphite in there, though. For me, the Zen gaskets make the best seal. Never had a blowout with them.

G

Should be fine.

caveman

The paper gaskets is what my engine came with the only problem I've had is with the Carb and so far the head gasket has held up well. As far as graphite I would only use it for exhaust.

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
I bought some gasket kits from ddm... just standard blue gaskets- came as a set of every gasket in one set... are those ok to use? Hopefully they will be here soon.
Yep. Those will work.

Guantanamo Joe

ok... By the time I have two more days off to work on it, my ddm box should be here anyway- just thought I might squeeze an hour in the garage before work one morning if it were worth my time to use the silicone stuff... guess Ill sleep that hour instead :D

Guantanamo Joe

Ok... got the head gasket back on the MT and it is running like a champ again... Ripping up the dirt and making all the other kids at the playground jeallous... ha ha ha. Thanks for the help guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts