• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Front and rear diff. Grease?

travmess

I just used some gas and an acid/glue brush one i got most of it out i washed everything with simple green to remove to residue

Tehlugz

Yeah, trav a neighbor has a little petrol/diesel fuel mix for a lawn mower

so in the end i got a big tomato tin and filled it about half way with that and just let the whole mess sit for an hour then scrubbed it down with a toothbrush

toothbrushes are amazing for 5th scales, they seem to get everywhere and they're only 50p/5 for basic ones where i shop so pretty darn good value and they last well on plastic

i did wash and scrub the diff housing, but i skipped the use of any kind of detergent on the gears or inside the diff because i didn't want to stark the metal up and let any moisture on the surfaces i just let the fuel evaporate and leave it's residue on the gears

i doubt there's any real advantage to this, but i try to prevent corrosion anyplace i can

i've been using a ptfe spray on all the bolts too so they don't get rusty, that works well

at-least

i used the thick red high load/temperature lithium grease for the crown/pinion and 5k silicone in the actual diff box it seems smoother than stock so i'll be back with results later after i've put it around my triple 8 course

ok it's a basketball court, but it's great for testing car agility!

another thing i noted is to be careful with the tension of the long bolts on the diff housing as that can cause a little binding of the crown on the little pinion, it's a good job i tested it with my hands before trying to re assemble it, or it may have caused some damage

i've seen the 7075 rc housings and they appear to have a different method for attaching the housings, can anyone comment how they are vs stock on binding and or tolerances?

happy new year peeps!

#Edit:

so, the 5k oil at the front vastly improves steering response in the wet, when traction is low it prevents the front end just sliding out but it's a little too light for grippy surfaces where the car will become twitchy under steering and tend to over-steer

so i'll probably go a little heavier to a 6 or 7k oil and i'm almost tempted to leave the rear stock

or, at-least put quite a heavy oil in there and see how it effects stability at speed

also i noted that the xbe has one less diff gear bar and two less gears than the truck version of the diff, does anyone know the effects of

the altered setup?

mine is the re-branded 'vader' version of the xbe

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts