• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

exhaust bolts

caveman

So yesterday I tried to tighten up my exhaust bolts to the head and to my surprise once again" I'm stronger than I care to be" quote from beavis and butthead I stripped the threads. Went to the local hardware store grabbed a threaded rod a tap and two bolts, now I have head studs and so far so good. Just gonna wait till tomorrow to run it and see how it sealed and let the loctite dry. It sure is fun to tinker when I have time :)

G

You should be fine with the studs. I've had to do that exact repair on the MT. Its still holding strong.

caveman

I hope so its been a PITA to get a good tune. I found out when I put my driver on the bolt and it revd higher as I pushed on it then oops gotta go to the store LOL.

caveman

So far no leaks around head and bolts are tight and now that I fixed the exhaust I'll proly blow a head gasket. Lol .oh I am also using a copper exhaust gasket. Might go back to graphite one.

G

caveman said:
So far no leaks around head and bolts are tight and now that I fixed the exhaust I'll proly blow a head gasket. Lol .oh I am also using a copper exhaust gasket. Might go back to graphite one.
I just use the little paper ones. I don't seem to get leaks.

caveman

Im gonna get some gasket paper from the store and make my own seems the paper works better.

G

Same here.

I've tried the copper. That's when I stripped it out. I could not get it tight enough to seal.

Deluge

caveman said:
Tried to tune today and one stud just spins so more fixing tomorrow yay. At least I have the house to my self :)
Red Loctite, dude. Let it sit overnight. That should keep it in place.

caveman

I did but used blue and my red is at the shop. If I use jb weld on it then its permanent right? Would I just put it on the threads and then thread it in and let sit or should I pack it into the hole then thread in? Wait that would just push it out. Or fill the hole then drill and tap? Either way its going to be fixed.

G

JB weld is permanent. You would never get it out. Make sure your threads are clean. Nothing will grab if they're oily. No need to tap, but you can chase the threads clean. I the threads are to waisted to use locktite, you can use the JB weld the same way. Coat the threads of the stud and dab a bit into the hole. Twist the stud in. Make sure you clean off any that squishes out. It would be a PIA to clean off afterwards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts