• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dunerunner shortcourse conversion

zazarider

Hello fellow dunerunners! I am new to the 1/5 scale as the dunerunner was my first purchase. I like the way it sits right now but I used to race shortcourse in 1/8 scale for a while and loved the look of them. What are some of the mods that people are doing in order to make this work. I have limited experience with this class but want to stick with this model and try to make it as good as some of the bigger brands(HPI, LOSI, and so forth). This seems to be a good platform to start with as the others are a bit more than I spent for this.

I know some people will say " Why didn't you just get one of the other brands if you wanted shortcourse." or "This is not the type you want" or even "this will never be a good choice, you will break to many parts." Thats were the fun in this comes into play. That is the only way you leearn how to do things better is by actually trying to do it and if it breaks, fix it and get going again. I would say that I like to try to be the innovator and bring something to the table that people would not expect when racing some of the other fellows. I know this may require a few mods but from my past racing in 1/8 scale, alot of the time it ends up being who is the better driver. I was going against traxxas, AE, HPI and others with a Exceed Madbash and did fairly well with it. I am hoping to do the same with this as well. So far from what I have been reading on all the lost forum posts have been this:

Tuned Pipe----I have 54086 DuneRunner Aluminum Tuned Pipe

Clutch----ordering the 8000 spring.

Wheels and tires----Trying to trade a trex 250pro with goodies for a good set and some cash. Also need some 24mm Adapters as well. But I know where to get them.

Servos----replace steering servos with a hitec 645mg and got the wrong servo for the steering. Thats a Hitec 805bb.(Found this in a thread and should have read further...duh on my behalf)

Killswitch is on its way as well.

Another thing would have to be is what diff fluid would be best to use for a curvy track with limited straights? Would you use 5000wt in the front and 7000wt in the rear? When I raced I hardly ever messed with that but after reading many post, I think that should have been one thing to learn how to do. Just never knew which way was best to run.

From what I have been reading I have seen that people were using the MT front shock tower and the mounts in order to mount a body. Not sure, just making sure as I have seen maybe 2 threads dealing with this.

I am looking at a couple bodies right now but the trofeo may be the one for me unless I can find something a little cheaper.

Overall I plan on being here for a while and hope to talk with other people and see what experiences they have had with the Dunerunner and what other aspects people have when working or modding something of this size. Sorry for the long post. Its one of the first times that I have actually joind a dedicated forum to a product and have had the opportunity to pick other people brains and see what the best course to go is. Thanks all and I'll talk to you all later. Have fun.

claude bigelow

zazarider

I will be getting something like this later on when funds are available. I think this should do fine for the moment. I only drive it a bit here and there. Right now, time is scarce. Thank you though for pointing that out. I didn't even realize that it was made from aluminium until it was already shipped....ugh. :)

zazarider

Has anyone tried to do the sleeving mod on the output shafts using copper tubing? Just wanted to see if this was beneficial to helping keep the drives together while racing. I am going to do most of the mods that I have looked into just want to find out if it is as easy one some of the people make it sound and if it is a viable option for a racing application.

Phill

zazarider said:
Hello fellow dunerunners! I am new to the 1/5 scale as the dunerunner was my first purchase. I like the way it sits right now but I used to race shortcourse in 1/8 scale for a while and loved the look of them. What are some of the mods that people are doing in order to make this work. I have limited experience with this class but want to stick with this model and try to make it as good as some of the bigger brands(HPI, LOSI, and so forth). This seems to be a good platform to start with as the others are a bit more than I spent for this. I know some people will say " Why didn't you just get one of the other brands if you wanted shortcourse." or "This is not the type you want" or even "this will never be a good choice, you will break to many parts." Thats were the fun in this comes into play. That is the only way you leearn how to do things better is by actually trying to do it and if it breaks, fix it and get going again. I would say that I like to try to be the innovator and bring something to the table that people would not expect when racing some of the other fellows. I know this may require a few mods but from my past racing in 1/8 scale, alot of the time it ends up being who is the better driver. I was going against traxxas, AE, HPI and others with a Exceed Madbash and did fairly well with it. I am hoping to do the same with this as well. So far from what I have been reading on all the lost forum posts have been this:

Tuned Pipe----I have 54086 DuneRunner Aluminum Tuned Pipe

Clutch----ordering the 8000 spring.

Wheels and tires----Trying to trade a trex 250pro with goodies for a good set and some cash. Also need some 24mm Adapters as well. But I know where to get them.

Servos----replace steering servos with a hitec 645mg and got the wrong servo for the steering. Thats a Hitec 805bb.(Found this in a thread and should have read further...duh on my behalf)

Killswitch is on its way as well.

Another thing would have to be is what diff fluid would be best to use for a curvy track with limited straights? Would you use 5000wt in the front and 7000wt in the rear? When I raced I hardly ever messed with that but after reading many post, I think that should have been one thing to learn how to do. Just never knew which way was best to run.

From what I have been reading I have seen that people were using the MT front shock tower and the mounts in order to mount a body. Not sure, just making sure as I have seen maybe 2 threads dealing with this.

I am looking at a couple bodies right now but the trofeo may be the one for me unless I can find something a little cheaper.

Overall I plan on being here for a while and hope to talk with other people and see what experiences they have had with the Dunerunner and what other aspects people have when working or modding something of this size. Sorry for the long post. Its one of the first times that I have actually joind a dedicated forum to a product and have had the opportunity to pick other people brains and see what the best course to go is. Thanks all and I'll talk to you all later. Have fun.
Which steering servo did you end up with?

topblissgt

zazarider said:
Has anyone tried to do the sleeving mod on the output shafts using copper tubing? Just wanted to see if this was beneficial to helping keep the drives together while racing. I am going to do most of the mods that I have looked into just want to find out if it is as easy one some of the people make it sound and if it is a viable option for a racing application.
Instead of trying to do this just pay $20 for all four done right by 7075 and be done with it. I did and they are bulletproof now

http://www.7075rc.com/differential-drive-cups/

zazarider

I have stuck with the stock servo at this moment. I bought a brand new hitec 805bb on a whim from a different post and found out that it wont work and that a hitec 5647 or something like that was the MG servo that replaces it.

zazarider

With those bearing sleeves, does it matter if they do not go to the end of the drive cups? Most of the ones I have seen go to the end so peices do not break off.

Phill

zazarider said:
I have stuck with the stock servo at this moment. I bought a brand new hitec 805bb on a whim from a different post and found out that it wont work and that a hitec 5647 or something like that was the MG servo that replaces it.
Thanks

I'm still running the stocker but want to be ready for when it eventually lets go

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts