• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Disk brakes?

Ol' fart

I have some people asking me if I can put HPI baja disk brakes on the redcats. I have looked at them and I'm sure it could be done but if I do them one or two at a time it will cost more than the brake's. How many of you want disk brakes? They would only work on my aluminum parts, no way to fit them to the stock Redcat stuff. They cost about 100 minimum per set and up to 200 so they have to work well or nobody would pay that much.

What do you say?

Silent_chaos

I think hydraulic brakes are a bit overkill. Dirt and dust will get inside and i think it would be best for onroad use...

I have another suggestion.. ever seen the RCR brakes made for HPI? If you can make something similar, that would be awesome.

They will cost cheaperthey are made from a military material and the brake power will increase immensely (these brakes are used on hpi to handle 40cc+ engines) they really work great.

http://www.davesmotors.com/tt601_5.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Ol' fart

I have looked at upgrading the material used in the stock brakes. My freind works on upgrading the drag's in fishing reels and he uses super thin kevlar disk's. In the space we have you could put 9 disks in, increasing the surface area by what, 300 %. Only problem is the disc's cost around 6 dollars each !!!

Silent_chaos

Ol said:
I have looked at upgrading the material used in the stock brakes. My freind works on upgrading the drag's in fishing reels and he uses super thin kevlar disk's. In the space we have you could put 9 disks in, increasing the surface area by what, 300 %. Only problem is the disc's cost around 6 dollars each !!!
Thats 54$ per 1 brake. Much expensive. In my opinion, I think it would be best if you can come up with a solution that makes use of the discs for the best value for the money. Maybe 6 discs instead of 9?

I mean would the difference be that much if you put in 9 discs over 6?

Or just negligeable difference (you know.. diminishing returns).

Because you know, you reach a place where adding more discs literally doesn't add any performance at all.. maybe less than 0.1%

To be honest, id rather pay 100$-120$ for the whole brake system rather than 200$ or so on a complicated system that includes a pump, hoses and hyd brake fluids.. (plus it would be harder for you to test it and it needs to be working well for that price)

On another note, you mentioned that it would work on only parts purchased from 7075rc, i don't think everybody has your stuff, a lot of people have stock; by discs, you can serve a bigger audience.

But hey, thats just me

Also if you happen to begin manufacturing, we would love to see a vid demonstrating the difference of the new brakes over the stock in terms of how many meters from the moment of applying brakes to completely stop the car both being on full speed :)

Ildy666

Deluge said:
Honestly, the stock brakes are fine. If you need more braking power, you can adjust them.
I agree stock brakes are just fine.my MT stops on a dime.i personally won't spend $200 on a set of disc's for my RC.that upgrade doesn't justify the price IMO a lot better upgrades to spend the money on.....

scon160

Well fellas I agree with you but there's always the simple old "cool factor" Could we live without hydraulic brakes?absolutely.Is half the stuff we do needed,like having a $600 dollar buggy with a $200 pipe,a $300-$700 modified motor, $100 steering servo and $300 worth of aluminum needed either.The answer is No!! but hell we all still got these expensive ass toys because were big ass kids still having fun. Im sure every last one of us has at least several thousand $ tied up in this all ready.If your like me you probably have over $15000 in this hobby easy.The hydraulic brakes for me, were more a cool factor than any thing else.Maybe its just me but i've wasted more money on less in my life thats why I came to OL Fart with this idea.Yes I have to agree with your logic and reasoning,but the cool factor "look what I got "is still fun to me!

Silent_chaos

scon160 said:
Well fellas I agree with you but there's always the simple old "cool factor" Could we live without hydraulic brakes?absolutely.Is half the stuff we do needed,like having a $600 dollar buggy with a $200 pipe,a $300-$700 modified motor, $100 steering servo and $300 worth of aluminum needed either.The answer is No!! but hell we all still got these expensive ass toys because were big ass kids still having fun. Im sure every last one of us has at least several thousand $ tied up in this all ready.If your like me you probably have over $15000 in this hobby easy.The hydraulic brakes for me, were more a cool factor than any thing else.Maybe its just me but i've wasted more money on less in my life thats why I came to OL Fart with this idea.Yes I have to agree with your logic and reasoning,but the cool factor "look what I got "is still fun to me!
This and 1000 times this.

scon160

Silent Chaos I'm with you brother I probably could of paid my house of already,but I rather have my toys.With hydraulic brakes lol

scon160

Well Ol Fart I guess that's a no go,but if you decide to give it a shot I found a complete set of hydraulic brakes front and rear for $180 shipped that I can send to you to play with.

Silent_chaos

And for me, if you can do a kevlar disc brake upgrade. Let me know so i can send you the moneh

Ol' fart

In my opinion the only need for disk brakes is in high end compatision racing. 99% of us don't do that.

"Thats 54$ per 1 brake. Much expensive. In my opinion, I think it would be best if you can come up with a solution that makes use of the discs for the best value for the money. Maybe 6 discs instead of 9?"

This setup would replace the stock setup so there is only one brake to pay for.

But, ya, six would be as good as nine. With no bling factor I would not sell but a few of them. Hell take out your disk and sand them to roughen them up, put a thicker spring on the linkage and your done, free too.

Silent_chaos

Ol said:
In my opinion the only need for disk brakes is in high end compatision racing. 99% of us don't do that."Thats 54$ per 1 brake. Much expensive. In my opinion, I think it would be best if you can come up with a solution that makes use of the discs for the best value for the money. Maybe 6 discs instead of 9?"

This setup would replace the stock setup so there is only one brake to pay for.

But, ya, six would be as good as nine. With no bling factor I would not sell but a few of them. Hell take out your disk and sand them to roughen them up, put a thicker spring on the linkage and your done, free too.
If you can come up with a system (bling included) that costs around 75$ full 9 discs with all its components. Ill buy one.

Neither of us race, but we all have high end Aluminum components on our trucks :)

I trust your worksmnaship and designs, if you can do this for me, that'll be awesome

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts