• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Diff shell shim

BertR

I pulled apart the front diff to change out the fluid and found a missing part!! .The shim under the gear in the shell must have been overlooked at the factory. Do any of you fine folks out there have any remedy for a shim? I don't feel very warm and fuzzy about dropping 20 +shipping for part#50067 for the shim that should have been there in the first place lol. It has been fine without it but the fact of the matter is that it should be in place. Any quick fix mods or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BertR

rampagemt

Is it the shim under the gears that go on the diff outdrives? If so I had the same issue and ordered shims from McMaster Carr. I didn't want to order a new gear set only for the shims

BertR

Yep that's the shim! There is no way I was going to spend that much for a shim. At McMaster site any specific name of washer you picked up

rampagemt

It's a inside diameter of 8m and its a stainless steel shim. I got the .2 mm thick I believe it was the outside diamater shouldn't matter. If you do need a link let me know and I will pull it up

BertR

I didn't find this out until I got home from work,I work for a large print shop and might have a few shims that might work.I will look through my folder and press parts but I will definitely take a link if you got it just in case I cant find a workable solution.. Thanks rampagemt

BertR

HAHAHAHAH this gets better and better! the shim for the other side of the diff with the crown gear is missing too. This is BS I'm filing a missing shims report lol.I see there is a slot for another cross gear in the diff and was wondering if I dropped in another set of gears per diff what would that do for the diff

rampagemt

It would strengthen it Idk why the x series don't have 4 little gears cause the v3 mts and dune runners do and thought they were basically identical

krashkrieg

Contributor
Mc Master Carr is a great site....you can get replacement dog bone pins cheap (also work with CVD's) I've also ordered things like body pins and smaller shims and also great place to get space hex screws of all types...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ildy666

BertR said:
HAHAHAHAH this gets better and better! the shim for the other side of the diff with the crown gear is missing too. This is BS I'm filing a missing shims report lol.I see there is a slot for another cross gear in the diff and was wondering if I dropped in another set of gears per diff what would that do for the diff
Bert, both my diffs had missing shims.redcat told me that they decide at the factory when assembling the diffs if they need shims or not.that's the biggest BS i ever heard.what keeps the cup pin from damaging the o-ring that seals the diff???i used drum brake shims they work fine.

G

BertR said:
I see there is a slot for another cross gear in the diff and was wondering if I dropped in another set of gears per diff what would that do for the diff
It just would just add weight. I think it was one of many cost saving measures to bring in the Xseries to be less than the MT. I have never heard of diff failure. Only broken cases caused by chassis flex from extreme bashing.

rampagemt

Re: Diff shell shim

I just picked up all stainless screws through them and amazing you get huge packs and also got shims from there for gear plate and the diff outdrive shims that go over o ring to seal diff like you were talking about

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.