• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Demon RC - CVT Teaser

DemonRC

No, they won't be in production this year. We'll get back on this project in late winter or early spring.

For those that don't know what a CVT is, a CVT is an infinitely variable transmission sometimes refered to as an IVT. I'll try to be as basic as possible and skip all the BS CVT terminology. The CVT is an invention of Divinci and is now commonly used in all types of recreational vehicles and a handful of automobiles like the Nissan Murano, Maxima, Audi's, etc. This belt type uses a centrifical force clutch to sandwich a belt between two pulley halves known as the "drive" pulley. As the force (rpm) increases, the pulley haves sqeeze together causing the belt to ride higher in the drive pulley. This causes the belt to ride lower in the 2nd pulley known as the "driven" pulley. This changes the gear ratio like raising the pinion gear tooth count and lowering the spur gear tooth count in a infinite series of steps.

There are drawbacks to using this tranmission, hence the reason why we are releasing a traditional 2 speed instead of a CVT. First, CVT belt drives are inefficient. They hover around the 85% efficiecy range. Compare that to a 93% range for gears and upward of 98% for timing belts. The reason is simple. The belt creates alot of friction on the pulley faces as it is turned within the pulley. Thinner belts help the issue but increase the 2nd major problem of a belt CVT which is poor torque transfer. Basically, it'll slip if too much torque is applied. So we applied more belt tension to stop the slippage which increases problem 1. There is a solution there and that is in a custom belt. We'll get back on producing that belt next year.

One thing you'll notice as that there is not alot of belt travel like you see in CVT's on scooters, motorcycles, etc. The setup you see right here is equivilent to a 3 tooth jump on a pinion and spur gear. We could actually run though about a 6 tooth jump on this same unit, however, we had to add some spacers to take up some of the belt slack which put a minimum cap on the low end. Basically, it won't allow the belt to drop down into the drive pulley all the way.

[ame=

[MEDIA=youtube]znV1UY-bbV4[/MEDIA][/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah thats awsome ,Deamon your the best ,first variomatic . Make it for our MTs too.

oznjo

I have been in this hobby sport since the early 70's. I had a Thorpe car that had a variable tranny on it. You are right the cvt's are hard on belts I was constantly replacing belts on mine. But when everything was working and you had the tranny adusted just right you had an advantage over the other racers. The attachment is a picture of the thorpe car.

IMG_5149.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

/monthly_2011_10/IMG_5149.jpg.9877715a15e9ad24adc58b3613f8e119.jpg

oznjo

Good luck with your development of this style tranny you might be on to something if you get the bugs out of the system.

TerraKill

This is the future of RC transmissions! very impressed demon! why is it on a fg!

this would be an epic bit of kit for raceing, you cant make me wait a year for this!

TerraKill

oznjo said:
I have been in this hobby sport since the early 70's. I had a Thorpe car that had a variable tranny on it. You are right the cvt's are hard on belts I was constantly replacing belts on mine. But when everything was working and you had the tranny adusted just right you had an advantage over the other racers. The attachment is a picture of the thorpe car.
i see these down my local track offten, im not sure if they have the variable drive or not, but man there FAST!

fastest track time for a 1/5th scale car is around the 23 second mark(this is a big track) and them little things smash it round in 9 seconds consitantly!

fastest ive had my 80mph+ schumacher fusion is 13 secs on a flawless lap, its hard as hell!

oznjo

TerraKill, a Thorpe car is a collectors idem nowadays kinda doubt anyone would be racing one of them today because parts are almost impossible to find.

G

It's to bad there are still gears behind the pulleys. Looks like there needed for pulley placement, for easy retrofitting. Would it be possible to have a cvt without gears?

I'm glad the focus has been on the two speed! :)

DemonRC

RCDAD said:
It's to bad there are still gears behind the pulleys. Looks like there needed for pulley placement, for easy retrofitting. Would it be possible to have a cvt without gears? I'm glad the focus has been on the two speed! :)
This was being developed as an onroad system and the FG is king of onroad 5th scale. So we figured we start with the FG.

Also, you need the gears in the FG tranny for two reasons:

1) If the engine turns the drive pulley counter clockwise the driven pulley would turn counterclockwise also and the car would run backwards. On a MCD/Rampage type tranny you don't need the gears as the car would run forwards.

2) The gears spaced out the pulleys and we could fit a meatier belt.

Stay tuned next month as I've already revised it to work with our MCD/Rampage tranny I'm expecting the next prototype parts to be sumitted and back to me in late Nov.

oznjo

RCDAD said:
It's to bad there are still gears behind the pulleys. Looks like there needed for pulley placement, for easy retrofitting. Would it be possible to have a cvt without gears? I'm glad the focus has been on the two speed! :)
The Thorpe design CVT did not have gears behind the pulley take another look at it. :) Maybe if the motor was turned around on the FG and mounted the same way the motors are on the MCD that would take care of the problem of the pulleys rotating in the wrong direction??

G

Stay tuned next month as I've already revised it to work with our MCD/Rampage tranny I'm expecting the next prototype parts to be sumitted and back to me in late Nov.
Look forward to it. :cool:

TerraKill

oznjo said:
TerraKill, a Thorpe car is a collectors idem nowadays kinda doubt anyone would be racing one of them today because parts are almost impossible to find.
i ment these style of cars :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts