• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

De anodizing

rampagemt

I ordered a gear plate for my belt drive today and want to de anodize it. How do I go about this and do I need to polish and if so how to do that ? Please help

G

Because of the recessed details on the gear plate, it is a bit harder to deanodize. In the corners the anodizing is thicker. I used oven cleaner (easy off) because I could not get it all with the greased lightning. Use steel wool to clean it up after the oven cleaner. You can use aluminum polish after that if you want more of a mirror finish. I polish all of mine afterwords. Helps to slow down the oxidation.

G

rampagemt said:
Once it is de anodized will it turn black over time ?
No, it just gets dull and cloudy looking. It will hold the bright aluminum look if it is polished. The polish help seal the pores which slows down oxidation.

G

No problem. Show it off when you get it done!

G

Any aluminum polish from the auto parts store is fine. If you use any kind of wheel it is faster.

G

If your ok with the brushed look you can clean it up with steel wool and WD40. The oil will slow the oxidation as well.

rampagemt

Nice I wanted the 7075 gear plate but then I wouldn't of been able to order belt drive so i compromised and now wanna de anodize to make it look cool now i am thinking of cutting a section of the plastic in front of the gear plate on the dune runner and putting lexan in cause i wanna see the belt drive not cover it up.

G

It will look cool. My deanodized plate looks great on the XB.

desismileys_3709.gif

Deluge

I use degreaser and Mother's aluminum polish. Always had great results. I recently did some Baja parts, and got them to a mirror finish. Takes some time, but it's well worth it.

G

rampagemt said:
I can't wait to try it! Gear plate should be here tom and Idk about belt drive yet
Shipped yesturday. So tomorrow or Friday. You better hurry up and start polishing. You know you want it ready for the weekend. LOL

G

cherryride said:
You can clear coat it after polish too.
I've tried that. Make sure it is completely free of polish and or any oily residue. The smallest amount of polish will lead to fisheyes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts