• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Competition for the 5ive

mulepic

I'm considering the 5th scale scene and I like the look of a buggy more than a SC. I also prefer 4wd. I saw the 5ive run at the local track and it seemed like its extra width, longer wheelbase, and weight gave it an advantage. Not wanting to spend that much, I think a dune runner could be a good competitor.

The dune runner has nearly the same wheelbase as the 5ive and weighs nearly as much too. But the dune runner is a tad narrower. Maybe there is a way to make it a bit wider. I most likely would upgrade the motor or simply convert it to electric.

Does anyone have any experience running these against the 5ive?

G

If set up right it should be a very good contender. Its not always the best platform that wins. They just have to be similar. You could put me behind the wheel of the best set up platform possible and I still would loose. LOL

The Dune Runner is a bit lighter than the 5ive. Run some Baja rears all the way around to widen the stance. It is long enough to run all the 5th scale truck bodies.

mulepic

Thanks for the response RCDAD. I see you are in Mesa, do you ever go to Fear Farm? That's where I was on Saturday checking out the 5th scales.

Does anyone know how the barca compares to the dune runner in terms of size? From what I can tell the barca has a smaller wheelbase but it's longer than the xb.

G

Yeah I was out there with my boys 2 weeks ago. They had never seen 5th scale racing. We were only watching.

The Redcat has much beter parts support.

mulepic

Parts support is a concern but not a huge one. I can typically machine parts that I need to beef up or repair. I'm more concerned about matching the width and length of the 5ive (and of course 4wd).

G

The exceed barca and Redcat Dune Runner are both HSP platforms. They are the same size.

mulepic

RCDAD said:
The exceed barca and Redcat Dune Runner are both HSP platforms. They are the same size.
Thanks. It's hard to tell b/c on nitrorcx they list the barca at 570mm and dune runner is listed at 610mm. And by looking at the pictures the tank on the dune runner looks bigger.

RampageHopUps

The Barca is smaller and has a different layout and chassis. Parts would be a concern for that one, as you know Redcat is is in town and we can get you parts fast.

I was at Fear Farm on Saturday, with the Orange HBF shirt on. Next race is the 11th, so you can get ready for that one.

tsudo5th

As for plateform matching against losi, gfr and I are talking about making a new 7075 MT chassis that would be darn close to length of the losi. We are about the width with Baja wheels and extenders. This will be a winter project.

Guantanamo Joe

mulepic:

I have never seen a 5B or a losi, but I do own a dunerunner, and it is the poo... I love this thing. Fast with some pretty good handling. I ordered a radar gun the other day and of the 3 gassers I own (XT, MT, Dunerunner) it is the fastest. I don't even have a great exhaust for it yet- still running the X Can in hopes that a good pipe comes out that does not need modification.

tsudo5th

Gfr he is on here is working on getting new performance pipe for the redcats built. He custom made mine but will be doing some minor changes for the MT, x series and dunerunners.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh540/tsudo5th/IMAG0098.jpg[/img]

Guantanamo Joe

That is indeed a cool pipe= I ordered the Dominator for my new MT... but like I said, I am in the market for a dunerunner pipe that requires little to no body modification- I just had a guy order a few custom baseballs so I will have the cash soon to get something :D

tsudo5th

I got the price for the pipes. $199 plus shipping. Worth every penny. I can remove my pipe in under 30 second if I want it off. Will keep you informed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts