• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Close-up Pics of Dunerunner

DanSpd

I was on main web-site and I can't see pics no matter what browser I use.

And yes I hover over pic. Works for other cars but not duneruner.

I would like to see how it's constructed, etc

DanSpd

Thanks Rob. After viewing pictures here they showed up on redcat web-site. Anyway thanks once again.

@Loud72:

How did you guess? That's actually what I was concerned about

Edit:

DSCN0870.jpg

Is that it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Loud72

I have owned mine for less than a month so I may not be the best person to give advice. Perhaps Buzzard can give his input if he reads this thread. All that being said, here goes anyway.

Pros:

Price - I can add what I want to it and still costs less than other 1/5 scale RTR vehicles. I have added the CPI tuned pipe, Steel Gears, HPI Filter, HPI 8K RPM Spring, Outerwears pull start cover, TGN Redneck Pre-Filter, Outerwears Pre-Filter.

4x4 - My other two electric RC's are 4x4 and I prefer the grip it provides versus sliding the backend around.

2.4 Ghz Radio included - I didn't own a radio already so I've been using the included Redcat DSC 2.4 Ghz radio and it works just fine and works with the Killer Bee v2 killswitch/failsafe. This allowed me to spend money on the CPI pipe to stay within my budget.

Length and Width - It's long and wide and thus is stable.

Cons:

The plastic stock gears - They will melt with the speed a good tuned pipe brings unless you run with the transmission gear cover off or well vented. In my case I melted the stock set, replaced with an included backup set and melted them because I didn't vent the cover well enough. I vented by cutting two holes over the first two gears and it wasn't enough ventilation. Live and learn. I now have steel gears and have an inlet and outlet vent on my gear case as well as a inlet on the side guards to keep the steel gears cool.

Mounting a tuned pipe - Look for a thread on tuned pipes that require little or no modifications. The CPI Tuned Pipe required that I spread my rollcage apart in back for the pipe to fit. Nothing that a dremel tool couldn't handle but it wasn't plug and play if you're afraid of moving plastic around and re-attaching.

4x4 - I tend to be a bit of a speed demon and having a 4x4 of this size and weight tends to sacrifice some top-end speed. It's almost not really a con unless speed is purely your thing. As I mentioned earlier I prefer the grip a 4x4 provides. Speed only bugs me when I drive against a buddy with a faster 2WD 1/5 scale. I do, of course, get them in the corners! :)

Things I didn't list:

Servos - I have been fortunate thus far and my stock servos are going strong. I do plan on upgrading the servos to Hi-tec at some point unless forced by a failure. I can't call them a con although others haven't had my good fortune.

Dog Bones or CVD's - So far so good with my V3 and the Universal Drive Joints aka CVD's. I would suggest reading the Rampage pre-checklist and consider centering and leashing them.

Shocks - I have a strapping kit on order and suggest strapping/limiting the shocks. This is a universal 1/5 scale issue thus I don't consider it a pro or con.

Summary:

The bottom line is that the cons can all be overcome by modifications. It becomes a question as to how much you are willing to spend. The benefit in my opinion is a vehicle hardened by quality after market hopups for the same or less money spent on a big name RTR.

Regards,

Loud72

bbuzzard

Contributor
The only real problem I have had was the front diff case cracked and until the front arms kept popping off on hits, I realized I needed to replace it. Of course the servos were crappy but that was expected. The radio is fine and I have run the car so far that I couldn't see it. I just looked for the dust cloud and guess which way to turn to get it back to me...LOL! This beast will not run fast as a Baja or the likes, due to its weight, but it handles better to me because of the 4x4 traction. I have upgraded my engine to a 29cc and seems to run better and can pull taller gearing. Yes, the plastic gears suck but they are cheap. In fact the replacement parts cost is what attracted me to the Rampage. You won't break the bank when you bash too hard. The chassis is very sturdy but the body is not. I am waiting for Redcat to offer clear bodies for the DR. The current paint scheme is boring now ;-) The tuned pipes that fit are limited but there are threads on the subject in this section. I am OK with my RDlogics pipe but it ain't the best. In fact, I think I was doing better with the HPI SS pipe but I hated the way it sounded.

peace

b

DanSpd

Thank you so much for feedbacks :)

So about speeds. How fast approximately it goes? I know it depends on gears but let say with 50/50 gears.

Also would you recommend it for road, grass and a bit of off-road?

Thanks once again. Still hoping to get roller.

bbuzzard

Contributor
It's better for Off-Road! I forgot one other important note: due to it's weight and lower stance than a MT, it doesn't flip over much. It's all about the engine power, gearing, and the tire grip. I will stick my GPS on mine and do some street runs to see what my max speed reads. Stay tuned!

DustyR3825

Banned
DanSpd said:
Thanks Rob. After viewing pictures here they showed up on redcat web-site. Anyway thanks once again.@Loud72:

How did you guess? That's actually what I was concerned about

Edit:

DSCN0870.jpg

Is that it?
Now my question is where the Hell do you order the two front center dogbones for the 4wd? All that I can find is the 90mm for the 2wd.

rcgasser

DustyR3825 said:
No these arnt the center DogBones. These are for the F/R Diff Cups to the Axle Cups. I emailed Redcat this evening. I will let you know what I find out.....
Please keeps us posted I would like to know also after reading this post yesterday i could not find them at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rcgasser

Why can't we find just the DogBones??? Good question that's a step price to pay for if you just needed the dogbones!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts